Manhattan's coach to USF | The Boneyard

Manhattan's coach to USF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really good for the league. With him coming in, and the possible upgrade of Sampson at Houston, and Danny Manning at Tulsa, there has a chance to be that "middle tier" of the conference that people were looking for this year. With UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and SMU (at least while Larry Brown is still there) continuing to be good at the top, and a possible middle class of Houston, USF, Tulsa and maybe UCF, this league can improve. I actually think Temple is the wild card here. Need them to be closer to the upper class of the league for it to be truly successful.

Reaction Score
@nelsonmuntz - I thought you said these schools don't try? This is a good pick-up, with a system players will want to be a part of (whether or not he succeeds is a different angle).

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
The new practice facility and the renovated Sun Dome will help as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
@nelsonmuntz - I thought you said these schools don't try? This is a good pick-up, with a system players will want to be a part of (whether or not he succeeds is a different angle).

Masiello has beaten exactly 1 power conference opponent in 3 years at Manhattan, a win at South Carolina this year. Good for him.

Reaction Score
Masiello has beaten exactly 1 power conference opponent in 3 years at Manhattan, a win at South Carolina this year. Good for him.
So this isn't a serious hire? USF isn't hiring a this coach because they are serious about basketball?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So this isn't a serious hire? USF isn't hiring a this coach because they are serious about basketball?

What are their alternatives? Shutting the program down? How do I know if this guy is a good coach or not? A guy who had modest success at a school that is right on the cusp of mid/low major is not exactly a blockbuster hire. Maybe he will be good, maybe he won't.

Reaction Score
What are their alternatives? Shutting the program down? How do I know if this guy is a good coach or not? A guy who had modest success at a school that is right on the cusp of mid/low major is not exactly a blockbuster hire. Maybe he will be good, maybe he won't.
Do two three pointers by Hancock make that much of a difference?

My point is that you said no one in the bottom part of the AAC was even trying to get better. Today, between this and the Sampson hire, it seems like you've been proven wrong.

Reaction Score
At the very least USF will play aggressive defense next year. This is a great pick up for the league, Pitino proteges are a good bet. The two weakest coaches in this league are gone.

After the second year of the AAC contract with ESPN there is a review with a chance for a bump up in pay, I have to believe the AAC has been good enough for the pay increase.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Who has more NCAA wins this year.

Him or the entire Big East?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Who has more NCAA wins this year.

Him or the entire Big East?

Masiello lost in the first round but his team was impressive vs Louisville, they play the exact same style of defense.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Massiello lost in the first round but his team was impressive vs Louisville, they play the exact same style of defense.

So what you are saying, is that its close.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
If I had to guess about 2014-15

Cincy - NCAA
SMU - NCAA
UConn - NCAA
Memphis - NCAA
Tulsa - NIT, maybe NCAA
Houston - NIT or CBI
USF
Temple
UCF
ECU
Tulane

Reaction Score

Cincy - NCAA
SMU - NCAA
UConn - NCAA
Memphis - NCAA
Tulsa - NIT, maybe NCAA
Houston - NIT or CBI
USF
Temple
UCF
ECU
Tulane

Definitely better depth to the league next year with SMU replacing Louisville as a top tier team assuming Brown is back. Overall year two should be an improvement over year one and year one was pretty good.

Temple will probably be terrible again, they are a curse upon us.

Reaction Score

Cincy - NCAA
SMU - NCAA
UConn - NCAA
Memphis - NCAA
Tulsa - NIT, maybe NCAA
Houston - NIT or CBI
USF
Temple
UCF
ECU
Tulane
Two things about USF and Houston.

USF loses Rudd, which sucks for them. But Collins is pretty darn good, and he'll be healthy. The rest of their roster was young. so they may contend for NIT and be pretty solid.

Houston, with a real coach, and their talent, might actually be an NCAA team. They get all their top contributors back...and Sampson can coach.

Reaction Score
Temple will probably be terrible again, they are a curse upon us.
I think the top of the league this year will be better than next, but I think that there won't quite the same gulf between the haves and the have-nots. Which means our Conference RPI will make the conference look better.

As for Temple....they lose Pepper, but I think Dunphy can coach, so I just don't think they'll be as bad next year as they were this year.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Two things about USF and Houston.

USF loses Rudd, which sucks for them. But Collins is pretty darn good, and he'll be healthy. The rest of their roster was young. so they may contend for NIT and be pretty solid.

Houston, with a real coach, and their talent, might actually be an NCAA team. They get all their top contributors back...and Sampson can coach.

The potential for this conference is very high...

Reaction Score
The potential for this conference is very high...
I think it has the same potential as vintage CUSA. Cincy-Memphis-Louisville were good enough to help some older, traditional powers, and others in recruiting areas, pull in new blood. By the early 2000s, CUSA was really really good, and then it fell apart. UConn-Memphis-Cincy might be able to do the same thing.

But let's hope that all three of us get the heck out of here into P5 conferences.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I think it has the same potential as vintage CUSA. Cincy-Memphis-Louisville were good enough to help some older, traditional powers, and others in recruiting areas, pull in new blood. By the early 2000s, CUSA was really really good, and then it fell apart. UConn-Memphis-Cincy might be able to do the same thing.

But let's hope that all three of us get the heck out of here into P5 conferences.

I'm the opposite...I hope we're in a stable period and can grow the conference 5-10 years.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm the opposite...I hope we're in a stable period and can grow the conference 5-10 years.

Nothing against Memphis, but we have zero desire to do that. I think you can understand why.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score

The league is going to be better than Conference USA was, IMO. C-USA was dominated by Cincinnati.

People forget that Memphis was NIT-U until the big boys left C-USA. Calipari was underachieving with great talent long before Kentucky, that is sort of the tradition at Memphis.

Louisville wasn't the power it is now in the later Crum years (finished 12-20 and 13-19 with a few tournament bids sprinkled in) and Pitnio was took them to the NIT too.

Marquette was a regular in the NIT as well and if it wasn't for Dwyane Wade taking them to the Final 4, Tom Crean isn't at Indiana (he only had 1 other tournament win at MU).

It was definitely a perfect storm the '03-'04 and '04-'05 seasons when UNC-Charlotte, Cincinnati, Memphis, DePaul, UAB and Louisville were all tournament caliber at the same time and Marquette and St. Louis were NIT level. That was just a once in a lifetime type of season (when there was a 5-way tie for 1st place).

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
^ 1997-2000 Memphis went:

16-15
17-12
13-15
15-16

We had 4 coaches in 5 years...Cal inherited a true mess.

Reaction Score
As for Temple....they lose Pepper, but I think Dunphy can coach, so I just don't think they'll be as bad next year as they were this year.

This is the truth. The other post about Temple was uninformed. Dunphy had led Temple to 6 straight NCAA tournament appearances before this year. They were killed by injuries this past year, but as you said, lose only 1 player next year and will get 2 impact transfers. I would be surprised if Temple didn't play post-season ball next year.

I hope we get invited to the B1G asap but the conference looks better today than it did yesterday. Gotta take good news as it comes.

PS. House and Knowles will thrive with a real coach. Those guys are real talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom