Mandel: No Matter What They Do, Big East Isn't Staying In BCS | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mandel: No Matter What They Do, Big East Isn't Staying In BCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you look at the histroic data that they use to evaluate BCS conferences, the ACC is below the Big East. But you don't hear anyone lobbying to get rid of the ACC AQ status?! Hmmm?!

That's because, no matter how bad they suck right now, the teams in the ACC like Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, and even Clemson, are quality brands, and its very conceivable that they could (will) become really good again. Georgia Tech is having a very good year right now, and did split a national championship around 1990, if I recall correctly.

Although a revised lineup of schools under a Big East banner might be doing better on the field, after Brian Kelley left, Cinci lost its chance to build a real program with staying power. Ditto Petrino leaving Louisville, and even, to a lesser extent, you losing your coach to Maryland. The Big East has become a stepping stone league for football coaches. That's the real problem. The brands aren't strong enough among the remaining teams, although they may play good football on the field.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
With the addition of the Cotton Bowl and the elimination of the BE's AQ, you'd have 7 open bids, which is more than the current 4.

Maybe I'm being naive but that is assuming they leave it that way. My take from the article is that they would not and they would rather lock up more bids for the elite conferences. Don't get me wrong if there will be 7 open bids, I'm not complaining.

Reaction Score
That's because, no matter how bad they suck right now, the teams in the ACC like Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, and even Clemson, are quality brands, and its very conceivable that they could (will) become really good again. Georgia Tech is having a very good year right now, and did split a national championship around 1990, if I recall correctly.

Although a revised lineup of schools under a Big East banner might be doing better on the field, after Brian Kelley left, Cinci lost its chance to build a real program with staying power. Ditto Petrino leaving Louisville, and even, to a lesser extent, you losing your coach to Maryland. The Big East has become a stepping stone league for football coaches. That's the real problem. The brands aren't strong enough among the remaining teams, although they may play good football on the field.

Brand names? Yeah ... I see you that. But, frankly, the first edition of the NBE showed that the Cincinnati's & the USF's could clearly outplay the Syracuse's & the North Carolina State's. And for every Petrino/Kelly you suggest (and frankly, both those guys would have left the ACC for the jobs they took), we will have a guy like Gary Patterson who stays at TCU ... or O'Leary at UCF ... or other ... for a decade.

I don't buy that. The perception is there; the football was about equal. And the fact is: give a little money & exposure, the Boise's/TCUs or Houston this year or any other ... will outplay your Brand Name. Very few Programs are consistently top 10. And even Oklahoma & Alabama have been down.

Yep ... the BCS is anti-American (I say) because it thwarts the opportunity of the up&coming.

Reaction Score
What I wonder is what will happen if we get superconferences, and then 10-20 years down the road, the SEC decides to legalize payments to players.

Then what? What does the ACC do?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What I wonder is what will happen if we get superconferences, and then 10-20 years down the road, the SEC decides to legalize payments to players.

Then what? What does the ACC do?

If they pay football players wouldn't they have to pay players in all sports to maintain adherence to Title IX?

Reaction Score
If they pay football players wouldn't they have to pay players in all sports to maintain adherence to Title IX?

I'm sure they'd be glad to take up that question. Who knows?!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I just did a quick google and Mandel has been writing about how the Big East should lose it's BCS bid since at least 2003. I don't know why he's suddenly correct now...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
commish.jpg
025493226799.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hell No!

When surrounded you attack!

Fix Bayonets!

The Charge of Waylon's Light Brigade!

And the following link validates why:

http://outkickthecoverage.com/big-east-unlikely-to-lose-bcs-bid.php

This is an apples and oranges situation. We all agree that the BCS cannot strip the BE of a bid unless the BE fails to provide six teams. Since we have Pitt and Cuse for two more years, plus 27 month notice periods for the others, a bid is guaranteed for the life of the contract.

The question is whether, when and if there is a new BCS deal in 2014, the BE is a part of it.

Reaction Score
This is an apples and oranges situation. We all agree that the BCS cannot strip the BE of a bid unless the BE fails to provide six teams. Since we have Pitt and Cuse for two more years, plus 27 month notice periods for the others, a bid is guaranteed for the life of the contract.

The question is whether, when and if there is a new BCS deal in 2014, the BE is a part of it.

Hawk,

I'm not worried in the least about the bid 2014 and beyond. As the article suggest, the Big East will tear the roof of the mothersucker (BCS) if espn attemps any more vindictive acts. What I want, is for the conference to sue espn for everything during the 27 months pitt and cuse remain in the conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is hilarious coming from a guy whose alma mater makes UConn look like it is a football icon. His school once lost 29 games in a row and had a dismal record through most of its history. It must make him feel better to put down a conference when his schools football history was pathetic. Ok not that pathetic. They won eight Big Ten Championships. Five of those were before 1937. Their best run was 94 and 95 under Gary Barnett. They won in 2000 but with an 8-4 record. In that season they played Nebraska at the Alamo Bowl and lost by a close 66-17. Sound familiar. I'm sure the BCS loves this school.

If any school is irrelevant to a major conference it is Northwestern. But don't tell this to Howie, I mean, Stewart Mandel.

Reaction Score
This is hilarious coming from a guy whose alma mater makes UConn look like it is a football icon. His school once lost 29 games in a row and had a dismal record through most of its history. It must make him feel better to put down a conference when his schools football history was pathetic. Ok not that pathetic. They won eight Big Ten Championships. Five of those were before 1937. Their best run was 94 and 95 under Gary Barnett. They won in 2000 but with an 8-4 record. In that season they played Nebraska at the Alamo Bowl and lost by a close 66-17. Sound familiar. I'm sure the BCS loves this school.

If any school is irrelevant to a major conference it is Northwestern. But don't tell this to Howie, I mean, Stewart Mandel.

Well if the standard for being able to have an opinion about college football is that you need to be from a school that has a program with long success then I guess most people posting on this board don't know what they are talking about either.

Why is it that people here seem to always attack the person who writes something bad about UConn? How about trying to refute what they say with logical, coherent arguments.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well if the standard for being able to have an opinion about college football is that you need to be from a school that has a program with long success then I guess most people posting on this board don't know what they are talking about either.

Why is it that people here seem to always attack the person who writes something bad about UConn? How about trying to refute what they say with logical, coherent arguments.

Nothing you say can minimize the hilarity I got that someone from Northwestern, a schools that is historically the dregs of football, chose to write the BE has no value in the BCS. If the BCS would examine universities case by case, a logical argument could be made that Northwestern is not BCS worthy. It is a small private school with relatively no football success. I gave a summary describing this pathetic history. I didn't distort or alter the history.

I had no intention of refuting or supporting his article. I would suggest to you that you reconsider what is logical. It is logical people would not willingly embrace defeatist attitudes nor welcome counter arguments. It is logical that not everything people write will be logical, nor needs to be logical. It is logical you want to see UConn struggle. But in my mind it is logical you are insignificant and irrelevant. Events will take place in spite of what Mandel or you or I write and we won't influence them one bit.

There was no logic in predicting UConn men's basketball would win five games in five days to win the BE tournament which is why very few people predicted those events. There was no logic that a team which went 9-9 in its conference would win eleven tournament games in a row to not only capture the BE tournament but the National Championship. There was no logic that a team playing four freshmen would win every game in a one and done format. And there is no logic for me to still be ecstatic over that outcome. But I am.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Some of you still think this is about football or that because of the BE might fair better in the BCS formula than the ACC, it will be OK. The formula will be whatever the BCS decides they can get away with that protects as much TV money for the AQ school, period.

The BCS is a wannabe cartel and the BE has been a co-conspirator all along. Teams like Boise, TCU and Hawaii were let it not because it was the fair thing to do. They feared Congressional involvement. Removing the BE bid would not cause as big a stir as excluding an undefeated TCU. In fact, opening more bids based on merit helps preserve the system and allows more bids for the SEC and B1G.

If your league can't regularly deliver 20,000 fans to the BCS games and a decent TV rating, then you'll be out.

The sharks will turn on a wounded BE in a second, if they think they can get away with it. There is no long term protection to be had from on the field performance. It is all lawyers and lobbyists on deck.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
If this pans out as Mandel describes it, and if UConn can't join another conference, the school might have no choice but to scale down football to the quality it is currently delivering - MAC level. I don't see this is bad at all IF UConn could put together really good teams. Being non AQ certainly hasn't hurt Boise or TCU. Getting to this quality would be a monumental task and maybe impossible. But everyone's obsession over conference affiliation is misplaced. The biggest concern needs to be vast improvement in football performance quality. Everything else will take care of itself.

Marionette even looks like a buffoon. Barney Frank in a Herman Munster hairdo.

Tranghese is absolutely right. The BE's problems ultimately derive from one thing: BE football generally sucks.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Tranghese is absolutely right. The BE's problems ultimately derive from one thing: BE football generally sucks.

I hear this over and over and over again, but if it were about quality of play why didn't Louisville, Cinci, USF, or most illustratively West Virgina get picked by the ACC.. or the SEC? Pitt and 'Cuse haven't exactly lit the world on fire lately. Tranghese is covering his ass. It's an easy scapegoat.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I agree with you sentiment in this case, but it's funny how often a persons alma mater plays into the kinds of articles they write about college sports. Look at the tone and the angle of stories by DiMauro, Thamel, etc. regarding... basically espousing the BC and Syracuse party lines in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom