manchester by the sea | The Boneyard

manchester by the sea

Reaction Score
At all cost, avoid being influenced to forced to watch this depressing, awful movie. Take a bullet if necessary!

Reaction Score
At all cost, avoid being influenced to forced to watch this depressing, awful movie. Take a bullet if necessary!
Loved it.

On the above scale I would be somewhere in the middle. OK but far from great, not a movie I would watch again. Have not been impressed with any of the best picture nominees yet, but still have 3 to go.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
On the above scale I would be somewhere in the middle. OK but far from great, not a movie I would watch again. Have not been impressed with any of the best picture nominees yet, but still have 3 to go.

Rogue 1, Hell and High Water.

Reaction Score
Hell or High Water/Hacksaw Ridge top 2 for me. La La Land 3. Still have some more to see, including Manchester

Reaction Score
Loved it.
Perhaps I was hoping for more given past days in Manchester by the Sea, or I missed something good when sneaking a brief shut eye during the woeful film.

Give Lion a watch; found it entertaining and tragically insightful, e.g., 80K Indian children go missing annually. LION

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Perhaps I was hoping for more given past days in Manchester by the Sea, or I missed something good when sneaking a brief shut eye during the woeful film.

Give Lion a watch; found it entertaining and tragically insightful, e.g., 80K Indian children go missing annually. LION
I will see Lion when it hits DVD. My wife saw it on a preview night in November and liked it a lot, but she definitely likes Manchester By The Sea better.

What I liked about Manchester By The Sea was the acting, which I thought was excellent with respect to the three main characters, all of whom I think are worthy of their Oscar noms. I also liked the relationship between Affleck and the kid and thought it seemed very genuine. And the scene between Affleck and Williams when they meet on the street after all those years is once of the most heart-wrenching I've ever seen.

As I've posted elsewhere, and have thought about a lot since seeing both films, I think that Moonlight and Manchester By The Sea do great jobs of conveying the humanity of a tortured existence in a way that even people with no connection to the context can relate, as long as they have experienced some extent of tragedy in their own lives. The walls built by each of the respective main characters to deal with their own very different life circumstances still share a common theme imo, and I think both films end with a realistically hopeful view of them trying to work on removing their walls--or at least surmounting them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As I've posted elsewhere, and have thought about a lot since seeing both films, I think that Moonlight and Manchester By The Sea do great jobs of conveying the humanity of a tortured existence in a way that even people with no connection to the context can relate, as long as they have experienced some extent of tragedy in their own lives. The walls built by each of the respective main characters to deal with their own very different life circumstances still share a common theme imo, and I think both films end with a realistically hopeful view of them trying to work on removing their walls--or at least surmounting them.

Gack! Just reading that nearly put me in a coma. Maybe I can pass on these two. Lion looks interesting though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gack! Just reading that nearly put me in a coma. Maybe I can pass on these two. Lion looks interesting though.
Yeah, I love movies that dwell in the grey areas, with characters who are neither wholly good nor wholly evil. If you don't and prefer more Hollywood, definitely pass on these.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I love movies that dwell in the grey areas, with characters who are neither wholly good nor wholly evil. If you don't and prefer more Hollywood, definitely pass on these.

I love those too....if they are doing something, and not sitting around talking about their feelings. Anti-hero movies are very much in vogue. Deadpool and Suicide Squad for recent examples.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Manchester By the Sea was probably the best I've seen this year. The acting and portrayal of their lives was just fantastic. Haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge or Moonlighting of the nominees. Probably catch Hacksaw Ridge on Cable. Probably skip Moonlighting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love those too....if they are doing something, and not sitting around talking about their feelings. Anti-hero movies are very much in vogue. Deadpool and Suicide Squad for recent examples.
The characters in Manchester By the Sea and Moonlight do not sit around talking about their feelings. Quite the opposite in fact. It takes a while to unpack why they are who and how they are. Which is pretty much the "point" of each movie imo.

I'm not pushing either one though. Both are tough watches and I know plenty of people who did not love either one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom