Man U playing with... | The Boneyard

Man U playing with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
a chip on their shoulders. Can't wait to see them fall on their faces in League play.

Reaction Score
I cannot stand Man U; but, they have a history of winning. They are cleaning house and rebuilding it with the cash that only one of the world’s most valuable sport franchises can come-up with. They will not be down for long.

Question for a Spurs fan, if it came down to a winner take all match between Man U and Arsenal for the Champions League Title, who would you root for?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I cannot stand Man U; but, they have a history of winning. They are cleaning house and rebuilding it with the cash that only one of the world’s most valuable sport franchises can come-up with. They will not be down for long.

Question for a Spurs fan, if it came down to a winner take all match between Man U and Arsenal for the Champions League Title, who would you root for?
Well if you question were reversed and Tottenham and ManU were playing for a CL title...., oh wait....I believe the teams have to be in the CL for that to happen, correct?? :D

But of course I would root for Man U.

Teams to hate (for Arsenal) goes
  1. Tottenham
  2. Man U
  3. Chelsea
  4. Man City
  5. Stoke City
  6. Barcelona
though I don't necessarily follow that.

Reaction Score
Well if you question were reversed and Tottenham and ManU were playing for a CL title...., oh wait....I believe the teams have to be in the CL for that to happen, correct?? :D

But of course I would root for Man U.

Teams to hate (for Arsenal) goes
  1. Tottenham
  2. Man U
  3. Chelsea
  4. Man City
  5. Stoke City
  6. Barcelona
though I don't necessarily follow that.

Man U and the Spurs for the Champions League. I would root for the Spurs as they would likely be the underdog. My relative new history as an EPL fan rooting for the Gunners revolves around games against Chelsea and Man U for FA and other silverware more that the Spurs. Plus, as a Ford car owning family, Man U’s new kit just cannot be supported in any way, shape or form. That said, I would root for Man U over Real Madrid and maybe Liverpool (my dislike for the Red Sox as a Yankees fan is greater than my dislike for Chevy) in other matches.

Reaction Score
For EPL, I am feeling it for Man City for some odd reason and Spurs. This could all change. Man U and Liverpool are non starters.

Reaction Score
Does that question even need to be asked? Glory, glory Man United... (now I need to go take a shower b/c I feel dirty).

Reaction Score
Does that question even need to be asked? Glory, glory Man United... (now I need to go take a shower b/c I feel dirty).

You are a Spurs fan. It’s going to take a tad more than just one shower. I am thinking full decontamination tents, a fire hose, and one of those Probity Probes from Harry Potter up your backside as Spurs fans and Death Eaters are known to travel together :cool:

Reaction Score
For me (Spurs fan) the EPL teams to root against are:
1. Arsenal - b/c I have a pulse, and I choose good over evil.
2. Chelsea - London rival, top club, and their ridiculous run a few years back to win the Champions League ended up bumping the top 4 finishing Spurs out of UCL, and shortly there after Bale was gone (WTF Bayern, it was a home game for christmas sake).
3. West Ham - London club, bitter fan rivalries.
4. Man City - they are the Yankees of this decade...buying their trophies,
5. Man U. - they are the Cowboys of decades ago.... blech

Reaction Score
You are a Spurs fan. It’s going to take a tad more than just one shower. I am thinking full decontamination tents, a fire hose, and one of those Probity Probes from Harry Potter up your backside as Spurs fans and Death Eaters are known to travel together :cool:
Good point, you're right. It wasn't this way beforel Arsenal moved to the area many years ago... now no one in the neighborhood can get the smell out ;)

Reaction Score
Good point, you're right. It wasn't this way beforel Arsenal moved to the area many years ago... now no one in the neighborhood can get the smell out ;)

True, I noticed the smell also in North London. It’s a mix of gunpowder and burnt chicken. I’ll bring the the BBQ sauce.

By the way more on my Harry Potter tangent…

· Man U – Is the Ministry of Magic. They are supposed to be the good guys and will happily shake your hand; but, the moment you turn around to wash the slime off, they hit you with a crucio in the back
· Spurs – Death Eaters; but, at least you know what you are getting from them.
· Chelsea - Pureblood, they expect to win because of their birthright
· Liverpool – Owned by the Red Sox and therefore Voldemort (though I would have said a vampire or werewolf before Suarez was sold)
· Man City – Some rich guy from some other country who know expects to win because he can buy the biggest wand

And now you know why my wife shakes her head when I mentioned that going to Comic Con is on my bucket list.

Reaction Score
True, I noticed the smell also in North London. It’s a mix of gunpowder and burnt chicken. I’ll bring the the BBQ sauce.

By the way more on my Harry Potter tangent…

· Man U – Is the Ministry of Magic. They are supposed to be the good guys and will happily shake your hand; but, the moment you turn around to wash the slime off, they hit you with a crucio in the back
· Spurs – Death Eaters; but, at least you know what you are getting from them.
· Chelsea - Pureblood, they expect to win because of their birthright
· Liverpool – Owned by the Red Sox and therefore Voldemort (though I would have said a vampire or werewolf before Suarez was sold)
· Man City – Some rich guy from some other country who know expects to win because he can buy the biggest wand

And now you know why my wife shakes her head when I mentioned that going to Comic Con is on my bucket list.

Based on my recent research and limited prior knowledge.

Man City: Not much difference between Chelsea and Man City as far as being owned by some autocratic Oligarch. But I think it's interesting that City has purchased clubs in the US, the J League and Australia. They are investing heavily in the three major emerging soccer nations so at least the money is benefiting the sport.

Man U: Seems like the default team to like, sort of like the Cowboys and the Yankees. Holier than thou

Spurs: Underarmour is an issue, brand. Supposedly the most expensive ticket in the BPL because they have the richest fans.

Chelsea: Owned by a Russian Oligarch.

Liverpool: I like the kit I saw on Sunday, but dislike anything associated with Boston.

Stoke City: Nickname is the "The Potters", pass.

Arsenal: Has potential to be likeable. They've sold a bunch of players in the recent past because the emphasis was on stadium upgrades as a long term investment. This type of patience and forebearance is appealing. Arsene Wenger is pals with Billy Beane who is the only cool person in the entire sport of baseball. And I have thought that since I read Moneyball which is the only book about baseball I will ever read.

Queens Park Rangers: I hear they sign a ton of aging stars. Seems like the EPL squad that hipsters would root for. Nope.

Southhampton: Firesale

Clubs I need to learn more about: Sunderland, Everton.

Reaction Score
Arsenal: Has potential to be likeable. They've sold a bunch of players in the recent past because the emphasis was on stadium upgrades as a long term investment. This type of patience and forebearance is appealing. Arsene Wenger is pals with Billy Beane who is the only cool person in the entire sport of baseball. And I have thought that since I read Moneyball which is the only book about baseball I will ever read.

Do you mean Billy Beane, the Tottenham fan? That Billy Beane?

Billy Beane may be the general manager of Major League Baseball’s Oakland Athletics, but as my discussion with the former major leaguer shows, a large part of his sporting heart lies in the footballing world.
On this edition of the EPL Talk Podcast, Beane joins me to talk about his favorite club,
Tottenham Hotspur, his path to football fandom, and the analogs between baseball and football – particularly as it concerns the current trends in football performance analysis.

Reaction Score
Do you mean Billy Beane, the Tottenham fan? That Billy Beane?

Billy Beane may be the general manager of Major League Baseball’s Oakland Athletics, but as my discussion with the former major leaguer shows, a large part of his sporting heart lies in the footballing world.
On this edition of the EPL Talk Podcast, Beane joins me to talk about his favorite club,
Tottenham Hotspur, his path to football fandom, and the analogs between baseball and football – particularly as it concerns the current trends in football performance analysis.

Yeah, I knew he was a EPL fan, but I read somewhere that he was pals with Arsene Wenger.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I knew he was a EPL fan, but I read somewhere that he was pals with Arsene Wenger.
Ya, he is a big fan of the sport, of the league (EPL), and an avid Spurs fan see link, scroll down to "Interest Outside Baseball"
Link

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Spurs: Underarmour is an issue, brand. Supposedly the most expensive ticket in the BPL because they have the richest fans.
I think Arsenal has the highest ticket prices, and it's not even close.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...ier-league-ticket-prices-club-charge-the-most
:(
Actually built a completely new stadium. Hence the high ticket prices. Though if they don't start winning trophies more frequently, they are gonna have trouble selling those tickets.

Southhampton: Firesale
And Arsenal are buying. Feel sorry for Southampton. Good team to watch, played a nice brand of football, had some good players. But really just a feeder club.

Clubs I need to learn more about: Sunderland, Everton.
I like Everton. They seem to do things right. That might be one for you.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree that behind Swansea, Everton is my second favorite EPL club. They have blue collar fans and seem like just a hard nosed, hard working team that the average person can relate to. I like Roberto Martinez as well. I hope they land Lukaku but dunno if Chelsea will finally sell him. Plus, they have Tim Howard! A good club all around who are always pushing for the top spots, specifically a Europa spot

Reaction Score
Van Gaal is going to be really interesting as the Man U manager to say the least. He's pushing these guys hard.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree that behind Swansea, Everton is my second favorite EPL club. They have blue collar fans and seem like just a hard nosed, hard working team that the average person can relate to. I like Roberto Martinez as well. I hope they land Lukaku but dunno if Chelsea will finally sell him. Plus, they have Tim Howard! A good club all around who are always pushing for the top spots, specifically a Europa spot
Looking like it's gonna happen.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28569197

Reaction Score
Listened to British SportsTalk at lunch. The talk was it was a done deal.

Reaction Score
I like Everton. They seem to do things right. That might be one for you.

Think I am just going to watch the games and see what I am buying into. I can't wait.

Also have 3 sets of tickets to see Sporting play, not counting the Champions League matches that are coming up. I am getting the feeling that the Champions League will be their focus.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
So I was watching some of the ManU game last night and they said that their back line would be three players not named Luke Shaw....I know that Van Gaal criticized his fitness recently but I'd have to imagine that after his massive signing fee the kid is gonna start, no? I'm not a ManU fan so I really don't care either way, but I found it an interesting statement. Anyone know if the NBCSN announcers were just off with their comments?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So I was watching some of the ManU game last night and they said that their back line would be three players not named Luke Shaw....I know that Van Gaal criticized his fitness recently but I'd have to imagine that after his massive signing fee the kid is gonna start, no? I'm not a ManU fan so I really don't care either way, but I found it an interesting statement. Anyone know if the NBCSN announcers were just off with their comments?
Didn't hear them say this, but I assume Shaw won't be on the back line. They are going to play a 3-5-2 formation. The 3 will most likely be CB's. Shaw will, I assume start, but as one of the wing backs.

Maybe something like

De Gea
Jones Evans Smalling
Young Herrera Carrick (or Fletcher?) Mata Shaw
Van Persie Rooney

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Jones Evans Smalling
Yes those were the names mentioned. What you said could very well be what they will do. Just found it odd that they were talking about their defense and didn't mention Shaw at all.

Reaction Score
So who is going to be Captain? I am thinking Rooney will pick up Captaincy for Man U and England.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99