Man to man versus Nova | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Man to man versus Nova

Reaction Score
The “we hardly play zone at all” is not helping the argument that we should have brought this out against a team like Nova. And for all the talk of getting bullied in the paint, UConn outscored Nova 28-16 in the paint. The defense inside was actually very good and disciplined yesterday.
What does that have to do with the fact we give up ALOT of easy baskets to them every time we play them? All them 3’s y’all be talking about comes from helping on the block when they backing us down to the basket constantly. We won and I’m happy we won. The reality is though we got lucky and he missed the free throw. We played good but it’s not good enough. If he hits that free throw we lose to them again. Im not saying we should play them zone all game. I’m saying is that’s the first time we’ve beat them I believe since 2014. We always play man to man, but we can’t guard them man to man that good.

Reaction Score
What does that have to do with the fact we give up ALOT of easy baskets to them every time we play them? All them 3’s y’all be talking about comes from helping on the block when they backing us down to the basket constantly. We won and I’m happy we won. The reality is though we got lucky and he missed the free throw. We played good but it’s not good enough. If he hits that free throw we lose to them again. Im not saying we should play them zone all game. I’m saying is that’s the first time we’ve beat them I believe since 2014. We always play man to man, but we can’t guard them man to man that good.
I mean…. we won but they’re an objectively better team than us so yeah, I’m not surprised it was close. The answer to we won a close game is not, we should have played a defense that would have made us lose by double digits. No coach in their right mind would have brought out a zone against Nova with this team. The only player they were consistently conceding open looks to was Samuels and that was clearly by design to keep the bigs out of foul trouble (and to be honest, he gave up a ton of open looks because he was desperately looking for the ball fake and drive. Watch the next time we come play a zone how many times we over close and get spun around at the 3 point line on defense and then we should have this discussion again.

Reaction Score
I mean…. we won but they’re an objectively better team than us so yeah, I’m not surprised it was close. The answer to we won a close game is not, we should have played a defense that would have made us lose by double digits. No coach in their right mind would have brought out a zone against Nova with this team. The only player they were consistently conceding open looks to was Samuels and that was clearly by design to keep the bigs out of foul trouble (and to be honest, he gave up a ton of open looks because he was desperately looking for the ball fake and drive. Watch the next time we come play a zone how many times we over close and get spun around at the 3 point line on defense and then we should have this discussion again.
I very much advise y’all to go watch their game against Syracuse. Particularly the first half. Y’all keep saying the next time we play zone. Like we have enough tape to even watch of us playing zone to confirm what you are saying. He HARDLY EVER play zone at all. So how did y’all come up with this conclusion? Playing zone defense is way easier than man. The only problems be is rebounding, and we are one of the best rebounding teams in the country.

Reaction Score
I mean…. we won but they’re an objectively better team than us so yeah, I’m not surprised it was close. The answer to we won a close game is not, we should have played a defense that would have made us lose by double digits. No coach in their right mind would have brought out a zone against Nova with this team. The only player they were consistently conceding open looks to was Samuels and that was clearly by design to keep the bigs out of foul trouble (and to be honest, he gave up a ton of open looks because he was desperately looking for the ball fake and drive. Watch the next time we come play a zone how many times we over close and get spun around at the 3 point line on defense and then we should have this discussion
We get spun around playing man to man too though lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom