Man swallowed by a Whale | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Man swallowed by a Whale

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I bet the kid who delivers weed knows.

Never watched any Jacques Cousteau, eh?

I'd love to explain the platypus to you, but I think you'll need a couple drinks first :cool:

I LOVED Jacques Cousteau as a kid! I think it was on right before or after the Muppet Show early Saturday evenings. Which is why I'm leaning towards outsourcing the blame to the kid who delivers me high quality medical supplies the same day if I order before 4:20PM.

"I'd love to explain the platypus to you, but I think you'll need a couple drinks first
:cool:
"- I'm stealing this one.

Reaction Score
Those sharks will get you waste deep no problem.
Right! Most people seem to get bit and sometimes killed from shark bites even lower than the waste in critical arteries.

The guy caught a break not meeting up with a shark.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This guy survived a plane crash 20 years ago.

What's next for him?

Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will stay home and see the world through virtual reality equipment.

Will he surf in shark infested waters or bungee jump?

Not too old for adventure.

Take a look at where he’s diving now. White Shark Logbook

Reaction Score
This got me thinking...

Has UConn ever parlayed Isaiah Whaley with the Hartford Whalers' fight song?

That HAS to happen during his final season: maybe have like a highlight reel with Brass Bonanza as the hype music? Get on that @Storrs South!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Those sharks will get you waste deep no problem.

in Florida, sure. Bull sharks, blacktips, spinners. Not so much on Cape Cod. But on the outer Cape you are often in 6 ft deep water just a few feet from shore. This year’s Shark Week should provide an interesting look at it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This guy has the worst luck. A few years back he claimed a witch turned him into a newt.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
lessee here, the Bible tells a tale of a whale swallowing a person, and like many ancient writings that drew upon commonly understood longtime truths from ages previous to the writings, coastal readers had a sense that it was certainly, and reasonably possible. around the time of peak local whaling, 1850s, melville publishes 'moby dick,' a tale that rang true for many in the audience regularly familiar with whale shenanigans. then, in the 1880s, another story relying on whale hijinx, pinocchio, hits the pages. much later, the State of Connecticut hosts it's one and only bigtime professional sports team, aptly named the whalers.

up to 60 feet long and weighing up to 40 tons, a humpback swallowing a person?
5431962_073119-wpvi-sea-lion-whale-web-vid.jpg

a sea lion is around 6 to 8 feet long, and between 250 to 600 pounds. i believe, mister. just call me ishmael.

(the 'canyon' off the cape has become a great white nursery in the recent past. roll down to monomy at chatham, hang a looey and jump into the ocean, look down, freak out. big deep, real fast. weird things happen there. USS Thresher – What We Learned From Loss | The Sextant (dodlive.mil)
what's left lies aboot 8500 feet, straight down.)

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Humpbacks don't have teeth. Throat the size of grapefruit.
Or it’s easier to shake stuff out of its mouth on the surface rather than underwater.
It’s not a fish, it’s a mammal.

Jonah
In the a Bible, reference is made to "a great fish."

In any event, it basically played out as expected and was no big deal, right?

The remaining question is whether he's divorced or not. He still might have some trouble coming his way for saying that his only thought was his two sons, 12 & 15.

Definitely this morning's feel good story and follow-ups.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

The remaining question is whether he's divorced or not. He still might have some trouble coming his way for saying that his only thought was his two sons, 12 & 15.

in yonah, the description 'dag (fish) hagadol (great)' is used. today, 'leviathan' is the most typical word for whale in hebrew, yet back then, leviathan was more commonly understood to be 'sea monster' of the serpent kind, prolly borrowed
('from ages previous to the writings,' above) from ugaritic sea monster 'Lotan.'
so, yeah, 'great fish,' cuz it didn't look like a giant serpent, makes complete sense as the phrase to describe a whale, back in the day.

moar whale fun facts:
'According to molecular evidence, the closest living relatives of whales are, quite surprisingly, the artiodactyls, a group of hoofed mammals that includes deer, cows, sheep, pigs, giraffes, camels and hippos.'
apparently, bambi, porky, or peter potamus just wandered off into the surf one day long ago, and there we have it. and, oh, the modern word 'whale' is prolly best attributed to latin 'squalus' - big sea fish, which is prolly best attributed to proto-indo-european 'skalos.'

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Well, then, that settles it. All of those so-called marine biologists are wrong. A whale has to be a fish.

Reaction Score
in Florida, sure. Bull sharks, blacktips, spinners. Not so much on Cape Cod. But on the outer Cape you are often in 6 ft deep water just a few feet from shore. This year’s Shark Week should provide an interesting look at it.
I could be wrong but I think most of the white sharks on the cape are juveniles. They will definitely feed in 3-4 feet.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I think most of the white sharks on the cape are juveniles. They will definitely feed in 3-4 feet.

In the bay yes. They go after stripers. On the outer Cape, no those are adults. On the link I posted you can see where every tagged shark goes.

Reaction Score

Yeah, but probably still beats being a newt?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The shark attacks in Truro several years ago were in less than 10 ft of water.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom