Man pressure defense | The Boneyard

Man pressure defense

Reaction Score
I like it. But it will require a healthy backcourt so Adams isn't overtaxed again...and hopefully Whaley, the post grad from st johns or anyone is able to become a rim protector. man to man pressure always leads to some layup attempts which is actually good for us if they are rushed ones with a shotblocker nearby.

Reaction Score
Is anyone a bit worried about culture shock for these kids? After being on vacation the past couple of years they are in for one hell of a rude awakening as to how Hurley runs things. Way more is going to be demanded of their bodies and minds than ever before.

Reaction Score
Is anyone a bit worried about culture shock for these kids? After being on vacation the past couple of years they are in for one hell of a rude awakening as to how Hurley runs things. Way more is going to be demanded of their bodies and minds than ever before.

They were on a mini vacation it would seem but the good news is he will sort out the guys who want it. I am sure there are already signs of kids who are buying in and those who may be wondering if this is the right situation for them. It's the way it should have been prior until someone took their foot off the pedal, should be a whole different attitude come October practice. No longer will there be that fear of the first and maybe 2nd practices only, the fear will be if they don't continue to do as expected throughout the year (beginning in the summer) they will see lots of pine. Buy in on both ends with Danny, this will be fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This summer and beginning of the semester will be hell with Alosi and Hurley all over them, but they'll realize it was worth it when they're not struggling to beat Monmouth or Coppin State, and are in better shape than other teams for once.

Reaction Score
Slightly, but let’s see what these kids are made of now. This isn’t going to be the team that’s going to have UConn back at a championship level, but it’s a critical team that will lay the foundation for the future of UConn basketball. Recruiting isn’t about just high school rankings, it’s also about bringing in the kids who can be broken down and developed with tough love. JC and his staff excelled at it, seems Hurley has that skill too. I’m extremely excited by everything I’m hearing about Hurley.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We rode full court pressure from nowhere to national relevance under a taskmaster coach before. I guess it's time to do it again. If your guys are willing to work hard at it, are conditioned for it and know exactly what to do, it's a proven way to neutralize any talent advantage your opponents may bring onto the floor.

I like the quote at the end of the article...
“We’re about to get after it on Monday at a level that’s probably going to be uncomfortable for them for a while, as they adjust to the intensity level my teams work at. It’s different. The pace of my practices is something you’ve got to adjust to.”

JC never considered early practices done until at least a couple players had puked. It's the UConn way, and we need to get back to it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"This is the year we bring back the full court press."
What? It's like a right of summer. I, for one, appreciate the consistency.

As others have noted above, this a way to make yourself relevant while you are upgrading your roster. It's a smart move.

Interesting that Hurley says there will be pressure but no trapping. The goal is to make the opposing team uncomfortable and take away there 1st, 2nd and 3rd options.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Not at all. The only way to get better is to be challenged. Some kids might fold under the pressure, but that's the price of developing kids and a team. Don't want anybody stagnant.

Some of these kids are begging to be pushed.

Reaction Score

If they can't handle it, quit. Seriously. The rewards are great for being a UConn player, but the work needs to be great as well. They're not just getting a free tuition; each these kids have the potential to make millions after they leave overseas. That's a great gift from their coach, but the skills and winning need to be earned.

Reaction Score
Not at all. The only way to get better is to be challenged. Some kids might fold under the pressure, but that's the price of developing kids and a team. Don't want anybody stagnant.

Some of these kids are begging to be pushed.
Agreed, it's just going from Richard Simmons to Sgt. Hulka is going to be an eye opener.

Reaction Score
It's one of the biggest reasons that my expectations are so tempered for the upcoming season

Reaction Score
I like it. But it will require a healthy backcourt so Adams isn't overtaxed again...and hopefully Whaley, the post grad from st johns or anyone is able to become a rim protector. man to man pressure always leads to some layup attempts which is actually good for us if they are rushed ones with a shotblocker nearby.

Totally agree here. I don't know a coach in the world who doesn't want pressure defense, but when your whole offense relies on a guy playing 39.99 mins a game and you have a bunch of inexperienced bigs fouling left and right it forces you to play more of a contain/scheme defense. The first thing these guys need to understand is how to guard the perimeter. The 3 pt defense was downright awful.

If Hurley can get this going it would be awesome. It was so fun watching Boat/Napier shut down Wilbekin and Harrison twins. They literally grinded the offense to a halt cause the guards couldn't move the ball.

Reaction Score
What? It's like a right of summer. I, for one, appreciate the consistency.

As others have noted above, this a way to make yourself relevant while you are upgrading your roster. It's a smart move.

Interesting that Hurley says there will be pressure but no trapping. The goal is to make the opposing team uncomfortable and take away there 1st, 2nd and 3rd options.

Trapping allows for a certain amount of standing around...not acceptable to DH...not even for a second...and if they're going to get beat, it's going to be off the dribble (hopefully toward a rim protector) and not open layups from long passes....

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
In a way yes. However, I think by now they have the big picture. "After being on vacation the past couple of years" is right on. They need this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom