Man Judging Boatshow's Bank Acct Oversaw Biggest Financial Fraud in US History | The Boneyard

Man Judging Boatshow's Bank Acct Oversaw Biggest Financial Fraud in US History

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

The new General Counsel of the NCAA oversaw one of the biggest financial frauds in US history during his tenure as Chief Compliance Officer at Freddie Mac. Now he is sitting judgement on Ryan's Mom's bank statements. How ironic.
I e-mailed this information to Joe Nocera late last night and to my surprised he immediately e-mailed me back - s"Seriously?" Then I sent him these links - stayed tune.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/January/NCAA+selects+Donald+Remy+as+general+counsel+and+vice+president+of+legal+affairs
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/14/army-lawyer-pick-faces-resume-flap/

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
The situation makes perfectly good sense to me. There's nothing honest about the NCAA, so why should they hire an honest attorney?

C

Chief00

And he omitted the name of Fannie Mac on his resume/application - then says it was an oversight. Maybe Ryan's Mom had an "oversight"?

Reaction Score
They are one of the main reason's -along with the banks- I am not building anything anymore.

They where scumbags- he has joined a group of scumbags-perfect fit.

I swear the NCAAs days are numbered- once a few super conferences form they will be able to generate enough interest in their teams that they may not need the NCAA anymore.

Reaction Score
They are one of the main reason's -along with the banks- I am not building anything anymore.

The building "boom" of the last 25 years or so has been fueled by excessive debt.

In 1960, if you didn't bring 20% down to the table, you'd have a very hard time getting a mortgage.

The folks for whom we voted allowed banks, via the Fed (Central Bank), to offer riskier loans without risk. They did this through Fannie and Freddie.

The way it worked was: Person walks into bank. Bank sells person home loan. Bank makes immediate profit (origination fees). If loan is below a certain amount (jumbo), Fannie/Freddie are obligated to buy the loan from the Bank. That structure created the moral hazard that led to the debt-fueled housing bubble that was building from the 80s all the way to when it popped in 2005.

At the time of the pop, banks were giving NINJA (No Income, No Job) loans out like candy. They'd sell the loan to the consumer and then immediately turf the loan to Freddie/Fannie. The system was set up to allow banks to have, essentially, zero end risk. Fannie/Freddie got all the risk. The incentive, quite obviously, was to loan to anybody who could fog a mirror, make the immediate fees, and turf the risk to the Government Sponsored Entities (GSEs) known as Freddie and Fannie.

That was the design, and it worked to perfection. Then, when it all started to blow apart in 2005, the GSEs are holding the bag, and Congress is "obligated" to bail them out. There's a reason that GSE paper pays treasury-note-level interest - the assumption was always that, although the GSEs are not technically part of the U.S. Govt., that the U.S. govt. was backing them. The assumption proved correct.

The best part is that the banks, many of which were holding GSE MBSs (mortgage backed securities), begged the govt. for a bail out and got it.

It's a brilliant scheme. The Big Banks make risky bets, and when they don't pay off, they go to Congress and beg for a bail out on the grounds that "if we go down, the whole system goes down." Congress uses your money to bail out the banks, and, the kicker - the banks have consolidated further and are even bigger now than in 08. It's so sad it's hilarious.

So builder guy, let me put a positive spin on it for you.

You built during the great bubble run up. Instead of lamenting the fact that the bubble has popped and will not reinflate in your lifetime, consider that the money you made in the last 20 or so years was derived from debt that, in a system that held banks liable for their mistakes, would never have existed.

Instead of bashing the bankers and GSEs, consider that, if not for them, there would never have been the building boom in the first place. Because it's true.

Of course, don't confuse that with the Banks being good guys. They are the ones driving the country off of a financial cliff for the purpose of making a quick profit.

And of course, in the end, we're all to blame, because we have the voting power to stop it, but we're all too busy being fat and happy.

Reaction Score
The building "boom" of the last 25 years or so has been fueled by excessive debt.

In 1960, if you didn't bring 20% down to the table, you'd have a very hard time getting a mortgage.

The folks for whom we voted allowed banks, via the Fed (Central Bank), to offer riskier loans without risk. They did this through Fannie and Freddie.

The way it worked was: Person walks into bank. Bank sells person home loan. Bank makes immediate profit (origination fees). If loan is below a certain amount (jumbo), Fannie/Freddie are obligated to buy the loan from the Bank. That structure created the moral hazard that led to the debt-fueled housing bubble that was building from the 80s all the way to when it popped in 2005.

At the time of the pop, banks were giving NINJA (No Income, No Job) loans out like candy. They'd sell the loan to the consumer and then immediately turf the loan to Freddie/Fannie. The system was set up to allow banks to have, essentially, zero end risk. Fannie/Freddie got all the risk. The incentive, quite obviously, was to loan to anybody who could fog a mirror, make the immediate fees, and turf the risk to the Government Sponsored Entities (GSEs) known as Freddie and Fannie.

That was the design, and it worked to perfection. Then, when it all started to blow apart in 2005, the GSEs are holding the bag, and Congress is "obligated" to bail them out. There's a reason that GSE paper pays treasury-note-level interest - the assumption was always that, although the GSEs are not technically part of the U.S. Govt., that the U.S. govt. was backing them. The assumption proved correct.

The best part is that the banks, many of which were holding GSE MBSs (mortgage backed securities), begged the govt. for a bail out and got it.

It's a brilliant scheme. The Big Banks make risky bets, and when they don't pay off, they go to Congress and beg for a bail out on the grounds that "if we go down, the whole system goes down." Congress uses your money to bail out the banks, and, the kicker - the banks have consolidated further and are even bigger now than in 08. It's so sad it's hilarious.

You built during the great bubble run up. Instead of lamenting the fact that the bubble has popped and will not reinflate in your lifetime, consider that the money you made in the last 20 or so years was derived from debt that, in a system that held banks liable for their mistakes, would never have existed.

Instead of bashing the bankers and GSEs, consider that, if not for them, there would never have been the building boom in the first place. Because it's true.

Of course, don't confuse that with the Banks being good guys. They are the ones driving the country off of a financial cliff for the purpose of making a quick profit.

And of course, in the end, we're all to blame, because we have the voting power to stop it, but we're all too busy being fat and happy.

I am heading out the door and my Dragon Lady is breathing fire - so I will be brief.

Please don't tell the rest of us that we are somehow at fault for the greed and fraud of the banks, mortgage lenders/brokers, mortgage bankers, etc., those who put together the toxic financial packages and those who gave these packages good credit ratings - that is simply baloney.

Those so-called NINJA loans, better known as 'liar loans', were fraud and all those in the financial community involved in these scams knew it - period. Builders, real estate lawyers (such as me), supply houses, construction people, etc., all those tied to the real estate business, who have suffered from these schemes, along with most of the citizens of this country, are not to blame for this - period.

Reaction Score
The new General Counsel of the NCAA oversaw one of the biggest financial frauds in US history during his tenure as Chief Compliance Officer at Freddie Mac. Now he is sitting judgement on Ryan's Mom's bank statements. How ironic.
I e-mailed this information to Joe Nocera late last night and to my surprised he immediately e-mailed me back - s"Seriously?" Then I sent him these links - stayed tune.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/January/NCAA+selects+Donald+Remy+as+general+counsel+and+vice+president+of+legal+affairs
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/14/army-lawyer-pick-faces-resume-flap/

Nice job. It is ridiculous that anyone from that joke of a mortgage company would be put in a position of legal authority at the NCAA. It shows you how warped and sinister the NCAA really is. I hope some school sues the out of the NCAA over something and wins big.

Reaction Score

And in the end, the sub-prime losses were in the hundreds of billions, as high as $400b. In other words, on par with the S&L scandal.

Yet, the actual losses incurred were in the many trillions. Why? It's no secret. The exposure to derivative contracts is what killed the economy. Whatever happened with subprime was but a sideshow in the real fraud.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Nice job!

Reaction Score
Builders, real estate lawyers (such as me), supply houses, construction people, etc., all those tied to the real estate business, who have suffered from these schemes, along with most of the citizens of this country, are not to blame for this - period.
Nonsense. We're all to blame. We elect the people who passed the laws that allowed this to happen. How is it that we're not all to blame?

If you give a robber the keys to your house and you blindfold yourself, and the robber takes your jewels, are you not to blame?

Unless, of course, your argument is that we're too stupid, as a citizenry, to understand the complexity involved.

Is that your contention?

Otherwise, I'm not sure who should be blamed, other than us, when our elected officials pass the laws that allow banks to keep doing this, and then vote for the bailout when the banks cry that it's required.

The Senate vote on the bailout was 74 yea. Is that not you and I speaking clearly that we want the robbers to succeed?

Our elected officials did all of this. It was plain a long time ago that this is where we would end up if we continued on the road of excessive borrowing and moral hazard banking practices. But we didn't change our voting habits.

It's our fault completely. You, me, him, her.

To get better, the first thing we need to do is to understand that our inattention and apathy led to our complicity.

We gave the robbers the keys, as it were, and we are just beginning to peek out from the blindfold.

Reaction Score
No sense in arguing with Prezidint/Frank Ivy or whatever he calls himself these days.

Reaction Score
Prezidint is correct. The housing market was massively overpriced. And people bought into it. An ex-IMF official has stated that the European economy is weeks away from collapsing. Unfortunately, the American dream is going to become the American nightmare. I'll just be sitting back and eating popcorn. All I can do.

Reaction Score
Prezidint is correct. The housing market was massively overpriced. And people bought into it. An ex-IMF official has stated that the European economy is weeks away from collapsing. Unfortunately, the American dream is going to become the American nightmare. I'll just be sitting back and eating popcorn. All I can do.

A blip on the radar screen. You're looking at housing while the trouble was elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom