Mamadou update | The Boneyard

Mamadou update

Reaction Score
Ah, bummer. Really thought this kid would be an answer to some of our frontcourt questions. Feel like it's gonna be tough for him to carve out a meaningful roll if he is coming back in January or beyond.

Reaction Score
Doesn't he have chronic foot problems as well that will always be an issue or was that someone else?

Reaction Score
At what point do we medically red shirt him?

Reaction Score

Yikes, he might not even help up this year. I thought he was going to be here in early to mid-December. I wonder if he had a set back. I think we will be seeing Wilson and Polley at the 4 a lot considering how bad our bigs are.

Reaction Score
Doesn't he have chronic foot problems as well that will always be an issue or was that someone else?
I think it was his knee. He has no cartilage basically left in one or both of his knees. Foot is Yakwe.

Reaction Score
At what point do we medically red shirt him?
We already did. A redshirt is a redshirt - doesn't matter if it's "medical" or not to the NCAA until you apply for an extra year. If he doesn't play this year, then he can legitimately argue he missed two full seasons for medical reasons, and probably be granted another year.

So Hurley has to ask the following: 1) can he help this year? 2) can he help this year without increasing the risk of re-injury? 3) what are the odds he'll be granted that extra year and that he'll want to come back for a 6th year? 4) are you likely to have have recruited over him by that time?

I say if we're in the hunt for post-season play, and there isn't significant risk of re-injury by coming back sooner than next year (aka he's "fully healed"), then play him now. He still has two seasons after this year, and Hurley knows how important recruiting a future frontcourt is right now anyway.

Reaction Score
Based on the injuries, he would almost certainly be granted a 6th year by the NCAA. Doesn't mean he will want it or that UConn will want it.

Reaction Score
I think we can scratch the idea of ever expecting anything from Diarra, if it happens it happens but certainly nothing should be expected. Hopefully he can somehow get over the injuries and have a successful career but it's chronic stuff.

Reaction Score
I think we can scratch the idea of ever expecting anything from Diarra, if it happens it happens but certainly nothing should be expected. Hopefully he can somehow get over the injuries and have a successful career but it's chronic stuff.
Kind of unfortunate as he had stretches especially at the end of last season of really good play scoring around the basket, rebounding and blocking shots. I was really hoping he would bounce back from this injury faster and be the 4 man we need to add some versatility in our lineups.

Reaction Score
[B]Gavin Keefe[/B]‏ @[B]GavinKeefe[/B] 2h2 hours ago
There’s a chance that Mamadou Diarra could be back for AAC opener on Jan. 2. Hurley: “He’s got a shot at that. We just don’t want him back too soon.”

Don't see what the big deal is. Seems the HORDE member from the original post summed up Hurley's more exact statement of Jan 2nd by simply saying January. Ways off probably meant a month from now.

Reaction Score
Yikes, he might not even help up this year. I thought he was going to be here in early to mid-December. I wonder if he had a set back. I think we will be seeing Wilson and Polley at the 4 a lot considering how bad our bigs are.
Wilson at the 4? They’ll wipe the floor with him.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Whaley gets healthy. We have done somewhat well without Diarra thus far. Just wish Yakwe would not be so scared w the ball.

Reaction Score
If Kwintin and Yakwe both donate a little knee cartilage maybe he can get to 100% and improve his dunks.

Reaction Score
diarra will be back at some point... this shouldn't open the door to akok playing in the spring. that would mean seven guys are competing for minutes at the 4 and 5 spots..

the program is best served by keeping akok hidden in the weight room, away from nba scouts until next fall.

PS- i dont understand the sid playing PF talk at all. he's only 177 lbs! that's less than everyone on the roster except vital who's barely six feet tall!

Reaction Score
diarra will be back at some point... this shouldn't open the door to akok playing in the spring. that would mean seven guys are competing for minutes at the 4 and 5 spots..

the program is best served by keeping akok hidden in the weight room, away from nba scouts until next fall.

PS- i dont understand the sid playing PF talk at all. he's only 177 lbs! that's less than everyone on the roster except vital who's barely six feet tall!
Maybe because he has already been used there in 2 games in a row. Substituted for Polley. Yes on defense against big guys he will be at a disadvantage but he is the best athlete on the floor so he can hang with most people there. Polley will get the most minutes there but Wilson will get some there since our 4’s all suck.

Reaction Score
Sounds like IF he makes it’s back it’s late January. Not sure it’s worth it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom