Reaction Score
It’s time for more Mamadou.

Out of the bigs, here is how he ranks in these per 40 minute categories:

Points - 1st - 10
Rebounds - 2nd - 14.8
Blocks - T2nd - 2.8
Fouls Drawn - 1st - 5.1
+/- 1st - +7 or +23.3 per 40

FWIW - Cobb and Onuorah have the lowest +/- on the entire team. I would try to phase Onuorah out completely, and try to stick with Diarra and Carlton as the first wave of bigs.

He fouls way too much, but Diarra has been our teams best big man. He was by far the highest rated out of them all, too. Time to give him more burn.

Reaction Score

Points - 1st - 10
Rebounds - 2nd - 14.8
Blocks - T2nd - 2.8
Fouls Drawn - 1st - 5.1

FWIW - Cobb and Onuorah have the lowest +/- on the entire team. I would try to phase Onuorah out completely, and try to stick with Diarra and Carlton as the first wave of bigs.

He fouls way too much, but Diarra has been our teams best big man. He was by far the highest rated out of them all, too. Time to give him more burn.

I agree BUT last night he was helpless against those monsters. Against regular guys, I agree. He and Carlton are the best options. I also like Whaley.

Reaction Score
Love Diarra. The entire team seems to have more energy when he is out there.

I really hope last night was DO's last time getting extended minutes for us. I appreciate the dude, but we have players that are better that could really use the minutes for development. I get why Ollie played him last night as he is a better match on paper size-wise for AZ, but he has been badly outmatched.

Reaction Score

Points - 1st - 10
Rebounds - 2nd - 14.8
Blocks - T2nd - 2.8
Fouls Drawn - 1st - 5.1

I agree on DO, he brings nothing to the table. KO needs to be realistic and get Diarra, Whaley and Carlton as many minutes as possible to develop them for 18-19. If Larrier and Adams were realistic about their NBA chances and came back next year, we could actually have a really good squad. No reason to play stiffs like Onourah meaningful minutes, develop the young guys who actually have some talent.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree on DO, he brings nothing to the table. KO needs to be realistic and get Diarra, Whaley and Carlton as many minutes as possible to develop them for 18-19. If Larrier and Adams were realistic about their NBA chances and came back next year, we could actually have a really good squad. No reason to play stiffs like Onourah meaningful minutes, develop the young guys who actually have some talent.

Agreed, include Cobb in the group, but let's focus on developing those four. Until Wilson and/or Gilbert is eligible, let Larrier play the 3.

Reaction Score
Love Diarra. The entire team seems to have more energy when he is out there.

I really hope last night was DO's last time getting extended minutes for us. I appreciate the dude, but we have players that are better that could really use the minutes for development. I get why Ollie played him last night as he is a better match on paper size-wise for AZ, but he has been badly outmatched.
That air balled hookshot or whatever it was was plain ugly. He should never shoot again. Set screens, rebound, provide a few breather minutes for the other guys and that’s it.

Reaction Score
Cobb has to play. He has upside for this season if he would just relax and not try to make every play himself on both ends of the court.

DO isn't good but unfortunately he may be the best defensive center we have (there's damning with faint praise) and, in any event, we still need the minutes because you can't count on any of the bigs being able to give you 20 minutes each and every game without fouling out.

Reaction Score
Cobb has to play. He has upside for this season if he would just relax and not try to make every play himself on both ends of the court.

DO isn't good but unfortunately he may be the best defensive center we have (there's damning with faint praise) and, in any event, we still need the minutes because you can't count on any of the bigs being able to give you 20 minutes each and every game without fouling out.
At this point if he’s going to keep turning the ball over like he has been, you have to bench him. He dribbles way too much, and tries to do way too much. If he just drew a defender and passed the ball out, it would be a huge boon to the offense. He simply hasn’t been good outside of the Cuse game.

Reaction Score
That air balled hookshot or whatever it was was plain ugly. He should never shoot again. Set screens, rebound, provide a few breather minutes for the other guys and that’s it.

I'd venture it was the worst attempted shot in our history. I'm being serious. It was a fall away hook shot that was short and wide left. Phil Nolan's three hundred pivot post mood was a thing of absolute beauty compared to that.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'd venture it was the worst attempted shot in our history. I'm being serious. It was a fall away hook shot that was short and wide left. Phil Nolan's three hundred pivot post mood was a thing of absolute beauty compared to that.
My jaw was on the floor.

Reaction Score

Points - 1st - 10
Rebounds - 2nd - 14.8
Blocks - T2nd - 2.8
Fouls Drawn - 1st - 5.1

Effort and production has been mostly good, but maybe someone can tell him to put his hands up at least when Ayton was shooting over him, crazy for him to have his hands at his side.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree BUT last night he was helpless against those monsters. Against regular guys, I agree. He and Carlton are the best options. I also like Whaley.
I agree what you are agreeing on. However, maybe I am missing something, but, so far, imo, Carlton hasn't really impressed me all that much. Again, maybe I am missing it.

Reaction Score
Did Ollie promise DO minutes this year? The guy should be dead last off the bench. He brings nothing to the table.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree what you are agreeing on. However, maybe I am missing something, but, so far, imo, Carlton hasn't really impressed me all that much. Again, maybe I am missing it.

Carlton will be here 3.5 more years, DO leaves after this year. If you're not getting much from either, play the one who may develop. Every time he makes a mistake, swap Diarra or Cobb in and teach him.

You rarely get a lot from freshman big men.

Reaction Score

Carlton impresses me in that he just gets the game and his position. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the strength to do anything with his knowledge and savvy. Last night was a perfect example, when he had Walton praising him because he got a good low post position with the defender on his back deep in the paint, but then after catching the ball he didn't have the strength to finish inside anyway.

Pitt used to produce Center after Center who was really good, but not until his 3rd or 4th year in the program. So far, that's how I see Carlton.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Carlton impresses me in that he just gets the game and his position. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the strength to do anything with his knowledge and savvy. Last night was a perfect example, when he had Walton praising him because he got a good low post position with the defender on his back deep in the paint, but then after catching the ball he didn't have the strength to finish inside anyway.

Pitt used to produce Center after Center who was really good, but not until his 3rd or 4th year in the program. So far, that's how I see Carlton.

I can see that. He really had a rough night last night. There was a 2-3 minute stretch in first 1/2 where every empty trip was due to him and every score by arizona was due to him.

I like him though. Just needs some time. I think he has a bigger upside over a few years than most anyone of this class.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll stop you right there.

But you couldn't be mad him could you? I wish he had stuck around and picked up an natty with us.

Reaction Score

Points - 1st - 10
Rebounds - 2nd - 14.8
Blocks - T2nd - 2.8
Fouls Drawn - 1st - 5.1

He and Whaley play with so much energy they find themselves in situations they need to foul. Both need to relax and stay put on occasion, especially Diarra. If he learns how to play defense he will be a factor down the road. If Whaley learns how not to foul he will be a very big factor down the road. Carlton is in the same boat we have some decent potential in that spot no doubt but experience is lean for now. Cobb can be real good because he can handle, Pass and play a guy physical but he needs to move a lot better and also just slow down. Like I said in another post and agree with you David O is a physical kid but needs to be in the 5-10 minute range.

Reaction Score
Whoever can stay on the court without fouling will eventually be the dude that gets the minutes; hopefully the others numbers will come with that. Really doesn't matter what other numbers they put up if they can't stay on the court.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Phil Nolan's 720 was flat out gorgeous and fundamentally perfect. That's how you keep a pivot boys.

Reaction Score
I love me some Mamadou, but his development is dependent upon staying in the game, therefore out of foul trouble. He has a great motor and passion, but that doesn't do much to help him develop if he plays limited minutes due to foul trouble. I really believe KO will play him as much as he can.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom