Mamadou Diarra’s new role with UConn men’s basketball team is to ‘be like a big brother’ (Hearst & Courant) | The Boneyard

Mamadou Diarra’s new role with UConn men’s basketball team is to ‘be like a big brother’ (Hearst & Courant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Back door access to story here <<

-> Diarra’s main role will be similar to his duties as a student/grad assistant: making sure the players are taken care of, supporting them as best he can, bringing in different speakers to talk to the team on occasion, etc. “And make sure they keep growing,” Diarra added. “Basically, be like a big brother.” <-

-> The most exciting part of his new role, Mamadou said, was simply remaining with the program. “I’ve been here for six years, I love being a part of it, seeing what the program has gotten back to. Being there for those guys is the best part for me.” <-

Reaction Score
For a young man to turn around having his dream of playing major college and then professional basketball (and yes, with his size, athleticism and relentless style of play he had a good chance of playing, at least overseas) cut short in such an unfortunate manner... and turn those lemons into this strong foundation of a career path for his entire life, speaks so highly of Mamadou as a person. You can not help but pull for this young man to experience all the success possible as he moves forward in his career as a mentor and either coach or administrative person helping young athletes to realize their goals and dreams.

And I love how our program (Kevin Ollie first and Danny Hurley since) never turned its back on him, even when it become obvious he was no longer useful to our program as a basketball player, but instead embraced what Mamadou could become as a person.

For all the selfish, me-first, protect the program at all costs, "use 'em up and spit 'em out" stories we have been relentlessly inundated with over the years from all corners of college athletics, this evolving story about Mamadou and UConn basketball has afforded me the opportunity to feel good about the fact that our program continues to be more than just about wins, losses and championships.

I wish for Mamadou to have a long, very successful career... and a wonderful, well-lived life.

Reaction Score
Losing Taliek doesn't hurt as much knowing Mamadou is stepping right up filling those shoes. I think both guys are amazing, they both Bleed Blue, and I do think we just might see Taliek again on this coaching staff. Do your thing Mamadou!

Reaction Score
They just have to make the General Manager hire “official,” and the staff is set. They have their GA’s and shifted the right guys around internally. I like the mix of former players and local guys.

Mamadou was going to be their guy, but they really did go through the multiple interview process. It’s good for skill-building for whatever role comes next for him. I am so happy for him that he’s found his path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom