Malloy wants to invest $1.5 billion in science, tech at UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Malloy wants to invest $1.5 billion in science, tech at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Grad students on balance cost a university much more than they pay.

I think you have it reversed. The grad students are either enrolled in professional programs with very high tuition, or else they are TAs who provide very cheap labor for the university. At $3k a class (I'm not sure actually how many classes are required to be taught per TA at UConn, but at the B10 schools, they teach 2-2s, and more during summer). and approx. 30 students per class, that's 120 students a year x 3 or 4 credits per each student. They bring in over $100k and get paid about $10k.

Reaction Score
I think you have it reversed. The grad students are either enrolled in professional programs with very high tuition, or else they are TAs who provide very cheap labor for the university. At $3k a class (I'm not sure actually how many classes are required to be taught per TA at UConn, but at the B10 schools, they teach 2-2s, and more during summer). and approx. 30 students per class, that's 120 students a year x 3 or 4 credits per each student. They bring in over $100k and get paid about $10k.

I'm sure that law and MBA students for the most part are be very profitable. MD from what I understand is pretty much breakeven due to grants, etc. I was thinking of other areas especially Phd candidates. No argument on the fact that TA's, lab assistants, etc. are cheap labor if they also pay their own tuition. My experience at UA has been that Phd candidate TA's, etc., for the most part, get a free or much reduced tuition ride. When you take into account the full time faculty to candidate ratio most schools must have for accreditation purposes not sure adding a lot more grad students would make budget sense. Unless they are law and MBA.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that law and MBA students for the most part are be very profitable. MD from what I understand is pretty much breakeven due to grants, etc. I was thinking of other areas especially Phd candidates. No argument on the fact that TA's, lab assistants, etc. are cheap labor if they also pay their own tuition. My experience at UA has been that Phd candidate TA's, etc., for the most part, get a free or much reduced tuition ride. When you take into account the full time faculty to candidate ratio most schools must have for accreditation purposes not sure adding a lot more grad students would make budget sense. Unless they are law and MBA.

70% of faculty nationwide are part-time, with a huge chunk being TAs. The TAs are responsible for students. In other words, the PhDs TAs are more profitable than the business and law students (who shouldn't be profitable at all, really. They should be getting charged simply cost of attendance. Whereas the TAs bring in revenue over and above the cost of attendance. They bring in many thousands of dollars for their labor. There are two main reasons you wouldn't add more TA lines: 1. It's probably not ethical to add lines in a field in which the majority are not finding employment. 2. Adjuncts are cheaper than TAs in terms of teaching classes, since TAs get health insurance over and above their $3k per class pay.

Reaction Score
This whole announcement screams pick us next B1G, pick us next. UCONN is no longer monitoring, it is marketing and investing.

Whatever it takes. Next one hopefully is an announcement that the Rent will go to 60K at some point in the future. UCONN needs to match top B1G schools in all the categories if we want to get an invite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom