Malloy looks like a fool here | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Malloy looks like a fool here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes we should. There are literally thousands of companies in Connecticut that will not get millions of dollars in subsidies. Why ESPN? If they want subsidies, they should be held to a higher standard.

These programs are universally a waste of taxpayer dollars anyway.

With a 10% unemployment rate and a shadow rate of 15%, CT needs jobs. Should we also take away the incentives to the Vernon ticket broker/scalper because they resell Uconn tickets at above face value? That rvenue should go to Uconn. 200 jobs in CT means a lot and to the central CT economy where very few companies want to locate, it means even more. Find me other companies in central CT that will create 200 jobs. Stanley? Aetna? Travelers? The Hartford? They are all shrinking. Find me one in Fairfield County. UBS, RBS, the hedge funds, all shrinking. ESPN has no obligation to Uconn. Zero. They answer to their shareholders. Start a grass root campaign for everyone to sell their Disney stock. That has about as much impact as your totally off the wall rants.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Since Malloy is a BC grad, do you think he purposely made those comments to hurt UCONN? Is it possible he has the same attitude towards UCONN as Flipper? I am not saying it is true, but the guy is a BC grad and he is married to a BC grad. He might secretly hate UCONN like rest of the BC fans LOL.

That means he's got his head up his butt and looks out his mouth on leap years. I doubt he knows he's in CT. He didn't even know he was on the ballot. Does he sound like he knows what he's doing?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With a 10% unemployment rate and a shadow rate of 15%, CT needs jobs. Should we also take away the incentives to the Vernon ticket broker/scalper because they resell Uconn tickets at above face value? That rvenue should go to Uconn. 200 jobs in CT means a lot and to the central CT economy where very few companies want to locate, it means even more. Find me other companies in central CT that will create 200 jobs. Stanley? Aetna? Travelers? The Hartford? They are all shrinking. Find me one in Fairfield County. UBS, RBS, the hedge funds, all shrinking. ESPN has no obligation to Uconn. Zero. They answer to their shareholders. Start a grass root campaign for everyone to sell their Disney stock. That has about as much impact as your totally off the wall rants.

You spur job growth by spurring demand, not subsidizing big businesses to do things they are going to do anyway. These taxpayer subsidies never pay off for the state, but continue because of thinking like yours. Find me a SINGLE study that shows that programs like this result in a reasonable ROI for the state.

Reaction Score
The answer to your rhetorical question is of course not. But there are so many unproven, and at times irrational, factors that lead up to your conclusion that ESPN is engaging in a coordinated action with other parties to destroy UConn's athletic program that the question is strictly hypothetical.

UConn may be collateral damage, but there is little doubt that ESPN was behind the scenes as one of the biggest instigators of the raid on the Big East, just as they were the ones who tried to keep the Big 12 together by coming up with all that extra cash, as the league was disintegrating.

They may not have targeted UConn on purpose, but they very likely targeted the Big East, to keep it going to NBC/Comcast, and by taking away a couple more of the brand name teams for another league.

Reaction Score
You spur job growth by spurring demand, not subsidizing big businesses to do things they are going to do anyway. These taxpayer subsidies never pay off for the state, but continue because of thinking like yours. Find me a SINGLE study that shows that programs like this result in a reasonable ROI for the state.

The tax breaks Weicker gave to UBS in the 1980's to relocate to Stamford. The economy was probably worse than where it is today at that time. It provide a jump start to F airfield County that lasted until 2008 and eventually led to lower F airfield County becoming the hedge fund capital of the world. Incidentally, when those subsidies burned off, UBS stayed for an additional 10 years+. It also led to to untold construction jobs for both offices and housing in the area. The merits of the program is not your argument. Your argument is that state policy should be dictated by what is best for the University of Connecticut Athletic Department. Show one study that shows the ROI for the larger state employment rate based on your theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom