Malina Howard Makes Commitment ........ | The Boneyard

Malina Howard Makes Commitment ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
to Maryland!!!!!

I'm was hoping Notre Dame, but she goes with the Terps! Great talent for them. Congrats to her and her college choice.

Reaction Score
im so glad she went to maryland so they can build their team

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
wow i'm stunned. i was really hoping for ND. can't stand Freese or Maryland. oh well.

Reaction Score
Congrats to her and her family and wish them the best. Great location to spend 4 years. I've lived there and LOVED it. A very fun program to play for too.

Reaction Score
I was hoping Malina would choose Notre Dame, but I guess she felt the Terps were a better fit.

Reaction Score
Another player completely fooled by Frese.
I agree! Frese must be a great recruiter because she is a terrible coach. She would have developed into a much better player at Notre Dame

Reaction Score

Looks like MikeBraddock was so stunned he forgot to add his own entry after quoting HuskyFan1125.

LOL!

Reaction Score
Another player completely fooled by Frese.

Where have all the centers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the centers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the centers gone?
Turned to Twerps, 'most ev'ry one.
When will they ever learn? Oh, when will they ever learn?

Reaction Score
Where have all the centers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the centers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the centers gone?
Turned to Twerps, 'most ev'ry one.
When will they ever learn? Oh, when will they ever learn?

Never! You are talking to a dead turtle.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why so many people want Notre Dame built up. After last season, I'm perfectly content with ND missing on recruits. Getting Jewell Lloyd is bad enough.

As long ad UConn's in the big east, we're going to see Notre Dame at least twice and possibly more every season. I have no particular desire to see them loaded.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why so many people want Notre Dame built up. After last season, I'm perfectly content with ND missing on recruits. Getting Jewell Lloyd is bad enough.

As long ad UConn's in the big east, we're going to see Notre Dame at least twice and possibly more every season. I have no particular desire to see them loaded.
Mainly cuz Muffett is a class act and i've always liked her and her team, even as much as i hate seeing UCONN lose to them, it's a rivalry but one filled with respect, at least on my part. Maryland, OTOH, has a head coach i can't stand and who i think is an average coach at best, in spite of winning a NC...

Reaction Score
Interesting how differently we view things. I'm the total opposite of you. I think Maryland's rise has been remarkable and they managed to do what very few others have- break the UConn/Tenn stranglehold on the sport. I've lived in that area and went to some games. It was pretty cool to get a look at ACC ball. Coach Frese was terrific to my family at post-game socials. Nothing but the utmost respect for her. Not to mention I'm very happy to see some really happy news for someone who had their child diagnosed with cancer a year or so ago. Notre Dame is clearly a good program too, but I don't think there's anyone but Ruth Riley playing in the WNBA. I'm not sure they have any secrets for developing players that others don't. They just get good kids sometimes. Not a lot of them to go around like on the men's side. Looks like they're doing well recruiting.

Mainly cuz Muffett is a class act and i've always liked her and her team, even as much as i hate seeing UCONN lose to them, it's a rivalry but one filled with respect, at least on my part. Maryland, OTOH, has a head coach i can't stand and who i think is an average coach at best, in spite of winning a NC...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brenda reportedly used negative recruiting tactics to get Harper and Langhorne away from UConn. That is much of the basis for the dislike here. Plus, Walz was the key in getting them the championship. Brenda is good at recruiting and the rah-rah stuff, but not at Xs and Os.

The Comcast Center is very impressive. I think it helps Brenda sell the program. I think only Louisville has a better arena at this point.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I know of no reason that I should have any enthusiasm for Notre Dame' success in recruiting. They are a rival. We play them.

I guess I admire the approach Bob Gibson took. He wanted nothing to do with hitters, his rationale being that they were is enemy. After all, it was their duty to try to take away his livelihood as a pitcher.

He often pointed to how well Orlando Cepeda hit against Juan Marichal and he attributed this to their off-the-field friendship.

Gibson carried this orneryness to hitters on his own team. After all, who knows when they might get traded?

You want to pull for Muffet? Or CViv? Bruno? Panetta? Walz? Even Jamelle? Go ahead.

Not me. As far as I am concerned, they are on their own. I have enough to worry about locally, wondering if McDaniel and DeShields will ever wear national flag blue.

Reaction Score
I know of no reason that I should have any enthusiasm for Notre Dame' success in recruiting. They are a rival. We play them.

I guess I admire the approach Bob Gibson took. He wanted nothing to do with hitters, his rationale being that they were is enemy. After all, it was their duty to try to take away his livelihood as a pitcher.

He often pointed to how well Orlando Cepeda hit against Juan Marichal and he attributed this to their off-the-field friendship.

Gibson carried this orneryness to hitters on his own team. After all, who knows when they might get traded?

You want to pull for Muffet? Or CViv? Bruno? Panetta? Walz? Even Jamelle? Go ahead.

Not me. As far as I am concerned, they are on their own. I have enough to worry about locally, wondering if McDaniel and DeShields will ever wear national flag blue.

I wouldn't worry if I were you; my gut tells me that both the X girl and Diamond will be wearing UCONN blue in the near future. If you don't believe me just ask Tony.

Reaction Score
Brenda reportedly used negative recruiting tactics to get Harper and Langhorne away from UConn. That is much of the basis for the dislike here. Plus, Walz was the key in getting them the championship. Brenda is good at recruiting and the rah-rah stuff, but not at Xs and Os.

The Comcast Center is very impressive. I think it helps Brenda sell the program. I think only Louisville has a better arena at this point.

I don't buy any of that. Maryland is a terrific school in a great location with awesome facilities. It just took the right person to be hired there and they did it. Harper was interviewed about it and said it was completely her own decision. UConn survived not getting her. Geno hasn't picked Langhorne during much of his USA basketball time, despite her impressive #s. I think it's fair to say that they never hit it off.

I did some research, MD advanced past the Rd. of 32 exactly 1 time while Walz was there and never won an ACC Reg Season/Tourney title. They made the Elite 8 twice and won the ACC Reg Season/Tourney after he left. I'm not bad-mouthing him, just saying that it's a team effort in any situation, good or bad. It's crazy to try to give 1 person credit. Not to mention that you see how loyal Brenda's former star players were to her when they started a foundation in her child's name. That tells me something right there.

It's very hard to win at the highest level. At the end of the day, players win the games anyway. What was Geno's quote about there are coaches who coach great players and then there are coaches who get fired? Geno knows it comes down to the kids on the floor and I agree.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

the other thing about that - i'm not sure we were ever going to get Langhorne, but Harper had already verbaled when she was re-contacted by Maryland and a week or so later, she rescinded her verbal to UCONN. now, was it one of the assistants who contacted her after her UCONN verbal? perhaps. but did they do it with the encouragement and blessing of Freese, or was the HC completely in the dark.

if they did it with her blessing, shame. if she was completely in the dark, then poor management skills of her staff. either way she's never going to be rooted for by many UCONN fans. she may be lovely in person these days, and may have overcome things in her personal life, but that's no excuse for being a sleazy recruiter.

In addition to Harper was the recruitment of Kristi Tolliver, I believe, which also had reports of a Maryland sleaze factor to it. there were also some reports that she was a witch with reporter types (i think it was Clay Kallum - it was over on the Rebkell Junkies board back in the day)... maybe she's mellowed recently, but she did seem to be a bit of a prima donna...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't buy any of that. Maryland is a terrific school in a great location with awesome facilities. It just took the right person to be hired there and they did it. Harper was interviewed about it and said it was completely her own decision. UConn survived not getting her. Geno hasn't picked Langhorne during much of his USA basketball time, despite her impressive #s. I think it's fair to say that they never hit it off.

I did some research, MD advanced past the Rd. of 32 exactly 1 time while Walz was there and never won an ACC Reg Season/Tourney title. They made the Elite 8 twice and won the ACC Reg Season/Tourney after he left. I'm not bad-mouthing him, just saying that it's a team effort in any situation, good or bad. It's crazy to try to give 1 person credit. Not to mention that you see how loyal Brenda's former star players were to her when they started a foundation in her child's name. That tells me something right there.

It's very hard to win at the highest level. At the end of the day, players win the games anyway. What was Geno's quote about there are coaches who coach great players and then there are coaches who get fired? Geno knows it comes down to the kids on the floor and I agree.

Brenda completely failed to bring the young charges to anything near the championship after Jeff left. That is fact. She is a great recruiter with no talent as a coach. Her family situation deserves all the compassion in the world but not her coaching. The Maryland fans are the rudest I have ever heard in person.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Meh..... would have preferred her to land at Notre Dame, but oh well.

Reaction Score
Brenda completely failed to bring the young charges to anything near the championship after Jeff left. That is fact. .

Baylor won a championship before Leon Barmore became an assistant. They have not won one since. Ergo, Leon Barmore must not be a good coach.

She is a great recruiter with no talent as a coach. .

Yawn.
I similarly recall hearing that all her success was due to her assistant's recruiting and that MD would fall apart after that assistant left.

The Maryland fans are the rudest I ave ever heard in person. .
And thus, she must be a terrible coach.

Reaction Score

Well said

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Baylor won a championship before Leon Barmore became an assistant. They have not won one since. Ergo, Leon Barmore must not be a good coach.

Reply: Not the same argument. Losing a coach from a presently successful team with the same returning talent is different from adding a coach to a team whose talent is not yet proven.

Yawn.
I similarly recall hearing that all her success was due to her assistant's recruiting and that MD would fall apart after that assistant left.

Reply: She did.

And thus, she must be a terrible coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member