Makurat to transfer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Makurat to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It makes perfect sense. You don't have to directly compete in the same position for your minutes to be affected by another player. You're making the assumption that there is only 1 lineup style, that everything is like for like. But you could have a lineup with 4 guards and 1 big where Evina is one of the 4 guards or you can have 2 bigs line up where Evina is replaced by Edwards or Ono. Either of those lineups could have Makurat with or without Evina, but there would be far fewer minutes of either instances of those lineups without Evina.

For example, minus Westbrook, a player like Ducharme could play an extra 10 minutes that would otherwise go to Westbrook. Say a lineup like Paige-Azzi-Westbrook-Edwards-ONO could turn into Paige-Azzi-Ducharme-Edwards-ONO. Now Ducharme is competing for 10 minutes with Makurat that she otherwise wouldn't have competed with Makurat for.
Agree, it makes perfect sense. Its been said many times that UConn plays positionless basketball. All the bodies are interchangeable, that's why he spends the early games changing players at random, although some substitutions may not make sense to us. 3 guards, 2 guards, or 4 guards, depending on what he sees from the other team. Until the new guys prove themselves, we will miss Annas presence.

Reaction Score
I’m talking about speculation on which UConn players should/would/might transfer out.

This rule has existed for 25 years, as long as I’ve been here

Twenty-five years with the Boneyard? There's a special place in heaven reserved for you HuskyNan.

200.gif

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you think Indiana is a notch below, or DePaul, or Northwestern? ... Honestly, what do you mean by a notch below? If UConn had not gotten some of the incoming guards, I believe Anna could have thrived at UConn. Just my opinion.
Yes, all of those teams are a notch or two below. If UConn did not get some of the incoming guards, Anna might well have thrived here. But no way that team is sniffing the Final Four because UConn itself would be a notch below. She's a good heady player but she does not have the athleticism a top program requires.

Reaction Score
I believe the Evina Westbrook decision to return has everything to do with Anna deciding to leave. Makes sense especially with the timing of their announcements.

Reaction Score
What was it about Anna that so many of us really seem to care about her leaving. With many transfers we say bye-bye and wish them well but don’t really seem to care all that much. Maybe it was overcoming the zero for America start and becoming an important part of last year’s team. She had 59 3’s last year. Who knows - if she didn’t have the injury this season and had continued to improve #12 might have been ours. We wish you great success Anna and will continue to follow the career of a favorite Husky.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Okay, I was just hoping to see the kind of post that would offend this rule for context. I am sure what may seem innocent to one is over the line for another. Trying to keep my BY card intact! :)
The offending posts get deleted pronto so if you aren't there when they get posted you probably miss them. Simple rule, just don't comment on: a players appearance, or their future at Uconn.

Reaction Score
I think some of you are forgetting the type of player that AM became in the 2nd half of last season. She was playing loose and exhibiting great offensive skills, including driving to the basket and looking to shoot. She played with confidence and pizzazz. At times, she was either the best or the 2nd best player on the floor. And she did/does all the little things that don't show up in the stat sheet but that make things flow easier, both offensively and defensively. I'm not sure what happened this year. She came out tight in the 1st game and missed some 3's and she essentially remained in that mode until she got hurt. I know the coaching staff had a difficult task this year and I believe they passed with flying colors! But, I think they blew it with AM.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I’m talking about speculation on which UConn players should/would/might transfer out.

This rule has existed for 25 years, as long as I’ve been here

Not questioning, Nan. Trying to get clarification , which you just gave.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
What was it about Anna that so many of us really seem to care about her leaving. With many transfers we say bye-bye and wish them well but don’t really seem to care all that much. Maybe it was overcoming the zero for America start and becoming an important part of last year’s team. She had 59 3’s last year. Who knows - if she didn’t have the injury this season and had continued to improve #12 might have been ours. We wish you great success Anna and will continue to follow the career of a favorite Husky.
For me it was her upbeat attitude and infectious smile.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She was a consummate Uconn player - hustle, great passer who took joy in making an assist, and willing and able to do whatever Geno needed her to do on the court. Basketball smart.

Don't think any of us really understand how hard a year this was - especially for foreign players. Getting into the US was not easy during the summer, and once here there was no going home, no Christmas break. This year's team stood out for their tightness, but it really wasn't a choice for the players. The team and coaches only had each other to hold on to from July to April.

Reaction Score
As someone who is half Polish I was one of Anna's biggest fans. My mom loved Yaz and Charles Bronson and any other Polish celeb. She became a huge Red Sox fan because of Yaz. She would have loved Anna and would have been a huge UConn fan.

But I would have been more surprised if I heard Anna was not transferring rather than hearing that she is. Anna is doing what's best for her, as she should.

I wish Anna all the luck in the world. She will make some program instantly better the moment she steps onto their court.
Anna, powodzenia! Zawsze Husky!

Reaction Score
You’re really stuck on this set-in-stone schedule for minutes per game, huh?

Just considering the numbers. Anyone can give a try themselves. Just think of how many minutes a top recruit should command if she is playing well. Edwards will probably warrant more minutes. Paige wants more minutes. I put in 30 because I would assume more blow-outs than this season. But the total minutes available are the minutes available. Can't add more. So who gets how many minutes? Who gets more?

I think Makurat did the math for herself. Sorry to see her go, but...

Reaction Score
AM is a very talented player ..good enough
To have been a starting player. I thought she would have an outstanding career at UConn .Don’t agree at all with the comments that she is not
Athletic enough for a top program.Athleticism is not just speed and quickness I’m sure she will
Have lots of opportunities and my hope is that she finds a spot
That will fit her talents and really enjoys
The rest her college career

Reaction Score
She played at times the beautiful basketball that draws us to be UConn fans. As Old Dude mentioned and someone dug up the beautiful reception of a long pass from Aubrey and the behind the back to Christyn who did not break stride and went in for a layup. She was a pass-first player. Good luck Anna!!!!

Reaction Score
It means that the mpg situation remains tight. I would guess:

Paige 30
Azzi 20
Evina 20
ONO 20
Edwards 25
DeBerry 15
Cristyn 25
Muhl 20
Poffernbarger 8
Ducharme 8

Total minutes for the top 10: 191
MPG remaining: 9
Total MPG Available: 200

It means that even if Saylor and Ducharme get just 8 mpg each, McLean, Griffin, and Gabriel would only be able to split a total of 9 mpg between them. Or else, one of the freshmen would have to give up minutes.

Still a difficult situation for the coaching staff to manage with 13 scholarship athletes.

Hmmm... I don't understand how a player who got 25 critical minutes in an Elite Eight game win winds up at the end of the garbage time (9 min to be split between 3) while 3 of the newbies (not counting Azzi) will get 15, 8, 8 min in your universe.

Reaction Score
Anna, thank you for everything you brought to UConn basketball! Thank you as well for the sacrifice you made to come here to play and be so far away from your family, especially in these times. Please know that you will always have a special place within the HuskyNation family!!! Best of luck!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Usually they transfer before we get to know them. Anna was a starter last year and started early this year. As a foreign player we all had her back and wanted her to feel at home. I believe that she felt the love from all of us, so we wish her well and will always root for her, as long as she doesn't go to SC or Baylor. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom