Making the college basketball regular season better | The Boneyard

Making the college basketball regular season better

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
March Madness is amazing. Conference tournaments are excellent for the most part. However, college basketball's regular season is lacking and does not carry the interest it did 30 years ago.

Some of this is demographic changes, but I believe a big reason for dwindling interest in college basketball in the regular season has to do with the following:

Consolidation among the major programs into fewer and fewer major conferences (nothing can be done about this)

More regular season games than previously

Every team qualifying for their conference tournament (for the most part)

Expansion to 68 teams (further weakening the bubble)

Flood of unprepared programs joining Division 1 weakening the baseline talent average and adding a host of low-major games

My solutions:

Reduce the regular season to a max of 27 games (whether you play a game in Hawaii or play in a MTE event or not)

-This will make every game mean a little bit more and cut down on the number of body bag games as big leagues likely don't want to cut down on conference games for fear of losing revenue

-This will also likely lead to higher attendance averages as there would be about two fewer non-conference home games on average (the scarcity principal)

Create a Premier Division above Division 1 with the top-15 brand leagues and 7 others to fill in the map

-This will reduce the number of teams in the top division by somewhere between 60-100 (depending on who gets picked up by one of the other 22 leagues)

-This list includes the 15 brand leagues (SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, Pac-12, A-10, AAC, MW, MVC, WCC, C-USA, Ivy, Sun Belt, and MAC) and 7 additional geographic leagues (Patriot, AE, Summit, Big Sky, Big West, CAA, and SWAC)

-This will reduce the number of body bag opponents and raise the overall talent level

Return the NCAA tournament back to 64 teams

-With 10 fewer auto bids, this would be a net positive of six additional at-large bids which will keep the top 10-12 leagues happy and still allow for plenty of Cinderella possibilities

-Removing the First Four eliminates some of the least watched games in the tournament and creates a strong bubble

Eliminate all post-season tournament except for NCAA and NIT

-With the top level shrinking, there won't be a need and likely won't be a market for a third or fourth post-season tournament

Capping conference tournaments at 8 teams

-This will increase the value of conference regular seasons in major conferences as the battle for 8th could be life or death for teams in the Big 10 or SEC

-This will eliminate first and second rounds that have low attendances and rarely provide a contender (obviously 2011 UConn is an exception)

-I would recommend the small conferences only take their top 4 (as the Ivy League does)

Increasing home and home conference challenges

-Will provide for better matchups than playing body bag games

Reaction Score
College basketball has one of the best regular seasons, right up there with CFB and the NFL (for me). Want to talk about pointless regular seasons? Look at the MLB, NHL, and NBA where 50% of the teams make the playoffs. You can be under .500 and still get in.

A 30 game regular season means every game matters a ton, and there's really no dead periods. The season starts off with the early season MTE's, then you always have some good non-con games in December, and then conference play in January-March. Why would anyone want to change it? I think CBB is the best sport from start to finish

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I actually like the regular season quite a bit. My favorite sports area cbb, NFL, and cfb because you can realistically watch all 30 or huskies, 17 giant, and 12 huskies games and really follow the intricacies of the season.

My one change to your point would be to have less neutral site made for TV tournaments and bring games back onto the schools arenas. The season ticket holder is the lifeblood of the program and I think they've been getting screwed a bit.

Reaction Score
I absolutely love the regular season and usually have 2 games on at the same time every day lol

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
College basketball has one of the best regular seasons, right up there with CFB and the NFL (for me). Want to talk about pointless regular seasons? Look at the MLB, NHL, and NBA where 50% of the teams make the playoffs. You can be under .500 and still get in.

A 30 game regular season means every game matters a ton, and there's really no dead periods. The season starts off with the early season MTE's, then you always have some good non-con games in December, and then conference play in January-March. Why would anyone want to change it? I think CBB is the best sport from start to finish
AND, all that excitement in the dark and cold of winter! To me it makes that whole dreadful time of year something I really look forward to. It started back when the Big East was created and all those conference games were being televised. College Hoops rocks!! Despite the advent of Spring it is a down when the NCAA tournament ends for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No problem with the season length or logistics.

Problem for college basketball is it will not ever overtake college football or NFL for viewers attention in Nov, Dec and first half of January. Really doesn't get any national attention until after CFP is over. Then, you'll start seeing games on national TV as lead-ins to NFL playoff games. Sure, there are really good games with the pre-conference tourneys and some of the Thanksgiving time tourneys give a quick first look in to the season, but nationally CBB isn't a "thing" unil mid-January and that isn't changing.

Reaction Score
No problem with the season length or logistics.

Problem for college basketball is it will not ever overtake college football or NFL for viewers attention in Nov, Dec and first half of January. Really doesn't get any national attention until after CFP is over. Then, you'll start seeing games on national TV as lead-ins to NFL playoff games. Sure, there are really good games with the pre-conference tourneys and some of the Thanksgiving time tourneys give a quick first look in to the season, but nationally CBB isn't a "thing" unil mid-January and that isn't changing.
Yeah OP's analysis is just... wrong.

The reason college basketball regular season does not carry the interest it used to is just because there's way more things to take interest in the world. That's it.

Reaction Score
Here is what I would change.

Start the Conference schedule earlier so that there are more Out of Conference Key Matchups later in the season during January and February.

That is about it.
If there's one change I agree with, it's this. Limiting the OOC to November/December and then using that to determine the strength of conferences (B1G cough cough) is a bad way to do it. It'd be cool if those BE/B12 and BE/B1G challenges happened in February. It would also give the committee a better idea of how fraudulent the B1G really is.

Reaction Score
March Madness is amazing. Conference tournaments are excellent for the most part. However, college basketball's regular season is lacking and does not carry the interest it did 30 years ago.

Some of this is demographic changes, but I believe a big reason for dwindling interest in college basketball in the regular season has to do with the following:

Consolidation among the major programs into fewer and fewer major conferences (nothing can be done about this)

More regular season games than previously

Every team qualifying for their conference tournament (for the most part)

Expansion to 68 teams (further weakening the bubble)

Flood of unprepared programs joining Division 1 weakening the baseline talent average and adding a host of low-major games

My solutions:

Reduce the regular season to a max of 27 games (whether you play a game in Hawaii or play in a MTE event or not)

-This will make every game mean a little bit more and cut down on the number of body bag games as big leagues likely don't want to cut down on conference games for fear of losing revenue

-This will also likely lead to higher attendance averages as there would be about two fewer non-conference home games on average (the scarcity principal)

Create a Premier Division above Division 1 with the top-15 brand leagues and 7 others to fill in the map

-This will reduce the number of teams in the top division by somewhere between 60-100 (depending on who gets picked up by one of the other 22 leagues)

-This list includes the 15 brand leagues (SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, Pac-12, A-10, AAC, MW, MVC, WCC, C-USA, Ivy, Sun Belt, and MAC) and 7 additional geographic leagues (Patriot, AE, Summit, Big Sky, Big West, CAA, and SWAC)

-This will reduce the number of body bag opponents and raise the overall talent level

Return the NCAA tournament back to 64 teams

-With 10 fewer auto bids, this would be a net positive of six additional at-large bids which will keep the top 10-12 leagues happy and still allow for plenty of Cinderella possibilities

-Removing the First Four eliminates some of the least watched games in the tournament and creates a strong bubble

Eliminate all post-season tournament except for NCAA and NIT

-With the top level shrinking, there won't be a need and likely won't be a market for a third or fourth post-season tournament

Capping conference tournaments at 8 teams

-This will increase the value of conference regular seasons in major conferences as the battle for 8th could be life or death for teams in the Big 10 or SEC

-This will eliminate first and second rounds that have low attendances and rarely provide a contender (obviously 2011 UConn is an exception)

-I would recommend the small conferences only take their top 4 (as the Ivy League does)

Increasing home and home conference challenges

-Will provide for better matchups than playing body bag games
The reality is- once they decided to go to a 64 team tournament the regular season was never going to be the same. Now for diehards like us of course we still love the regular season- but for a casual fan there just isn’t much interest because their are really no stakes considering 68 teams play in a tournament for the Championship come March.

Reason why College Football regular season is still so huge across the country is because if you lose a regular season game there is a good chance you won’t make the final four playoff- hopefully football doesn’t make the playoff that much bigger because it will dilute the regular season.

With all this said, I still watch about a 1/2 dozen to a dozen games each night & on Saturday’s I am glued watching anywhere from 30-50 games, but again I love college basketball.

In close- make all the changes you want I don’t think anything is going to change the viewership in the regular season unless you decided to make the tournament smaller, which they will never do because it has become a money machine & a Nationwide event- especially that first Thursday, Friday, & into the weekend.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a great sport. Let's not wreck it.

Reaction Score
Fewer neutral site games during the regular season. Campus/home atmospheres help make college hoops what it is. They've gone away from it in recent years.

Reaction Score
I do love the idea of spreading our conference and non conference a bit. Take a team like Creighton, they had some injuries were a legit bad team for a while which just happened to be entirely in the non conference

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The regular season is the perfect balance of games meaning a lot but also enough room for error (UConn this past season).

To make the regular season still mean something, don’t expand the tournament / remove the first four games to reduce the bubble by 4 spots.

I don’t think many changes beyond that needed to be made. Those “body bag” games are really important for kids adjusting to a new level or new system. They help tune teams up by conference play to make that a better product…

Reaction Score
Keep it the way it is. The more the powers that be try to change up things every year the worse the product gets.

Only thing I would change is for teams in first 4 years of D-1 to be eligible for the tournament Merrimack got screwed by that stupid rule.

I was against expanding past 64 teams but I have opened up to it I like the Tuesday and Wednesday night appetizer going into the real thing on Thursday afternoon. Expansion for college sports is fine I don’t like it for pro sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom