Make It Happen | The Boneyard

Make It Happen

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are a bunch of UConn fans in the dumps this morning. UConn has lost . UConn has lost its second game of the regular season which hasnt happened in a very long time. In the past I called UConn invincible, this team is not there yet. I said in a post yesterday LVille had to have alot of scoring from everybody not named Durr and they did. UConn didnt. UConns inexperience underclassman showed tonite. UConns offense was to dependent and deferring to the big 3. We need more help from everybody other then the big 3. Early in the season our outside shooting was shining. For the past few games we have had clouds looking over our outside shooting.

We have improved quite a bit since the Baylor game but our scoring hasnt. Defense is good not great but better. Ono Irwin and Bent have come along nicely however they are still developing. All 3 need to score along with every body else. Defenses can lay off guarding them because theyre not a threat to score. They need to become scoring threats. UConn is a very talented team and as my friend Eric in LA said we have all those AA's. However we have AA's that are underclassman and we need them to score in order to win Big games like last nite. That comes with experience and experience and development takes time.

The focus should not be on the polls, or our seeding, how many records we set or anything else. Our focus should be on getting better as a team. Forget about this loss. We need to focus on our offense and if that means shooting 300-500 shots a day then do it. Make it happen. The scoring load right now is on KLS NC and CD. They need help. Last nite LVille had all 5 players involved and all played well as a team. UConn didnt. Give LVille credit they played a terrific game. They had a game plan and were disciplined enough to trust it and execute it. The UConn teams of the past were great at execution. Setting screens, clearing out, pick and rolls, and moving not standing around. Last nite we didnt do that.

There is not place to turn. We are what we are right now. I am very encouraged to see the improvement however we are not where we need to be. Continued improvement and making shots will help. We missed alot of bunnies and open shots last nite we can not continue to do that. Our margin for error is small. We need to put in the extra work. We can out talent alot of teams however teams that have balanced scoring attacks, teams that are not dependent on one two or three scorers will make it difficult for UConn.

Its starting February. We need to change or we will continue to struggle against top teams. We need to MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Reaction Score
Just looked back at the box score and we only got 14 points from others besides the Big 3. Can't beat a top 5 team (or make the final four) with that (lack of) scoring balance.

Reaction Score
There are a bunch of UConn fans in the dumps this morning. UConn has lost . UConn has lost its second game of the regular season which hasnt happened in a very long time. In the past I called UConn invincible, this team is not there yet. I said in a post yesterday LVille had to have alot of scoring from everybody not named Durr and they did. UConn didnt. UConns inexperience underclassman showed tonite. UConns offense was to dependent and deferring to the big 3. We need more help from everybody other then the big 3. Early in the season our outside shooting was shining. For the past few games we have had clouds looking over our outside shooting.

We have improved quite a bit since the Baylor game but our scoring hasnt. Defense is good not great but better. Ono Irwin and Bent have come along nicely however they are still developing. All 3 need to score along with every body else. Defenses can lay off guarding them because theyre not a threat to score. They need to become scoring threats. UConn is a very talented team and as my friend Eric in LA said we have all those AA's. However we have AA's that are underclassman and we need them to score in order to win Big games like last nite. That comes with experience and experience and development takes time.

The focus should not be on the polls, or our seeding, how many records we set or anything else. Our focus should be on getting better as a team. Forget about this loss. We need to focus on our offense and if that means shooting 300-500 shots a day then do it. Make it happen. The scoring load right now is on KLS NC and CD. They need help. Last nite LVille had all 5 players involved and all played well as a team. UConn didnt. Give LVille credit they played a terrific game. They had a game plan and were disciplined enough to trust it and execute it. The UConn teams of the past were great at execution. Setting screens, clearing out, pick and rolls, and moving not standing around. Last nite we didnt do that.

There is not place to turn. We are what we are right now. I am very encouraged to see the improvement however we are not where we need to be. Continued improvement and making shots will help. We missed alot of bunnies and open shots last nite we can not continue to do that. Our margin for error is small. We need to put in the extra work. We can out talent alot of teams however teams that have balanced scoring attacks, teams that are not dependent on one two or three scorers will make it difficult for UConn.

Its starting February. We need to change or we will continue to struggle against top teams. We need to MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Thanks for the rundown....as I've mentioned previously during game chats, and in discussions here, if you live by the 3 point shot, or outside shooting, you'll die by it. It's taken Geno & crew time to get Olivia playing time (am not assigning blame here....it may just as well be Liv's fault she isn't on the floor more), however, every time she's on the floor, she's fighting for position, especially offensively, but, she seldom finds the pass coming her way. Even when she towers over those assigned to her. While we know our offense, almost to a fault, runs through KLS, Pheesa & CD, we need to look for Liv down low. If she's not getting these reps during the games, don't expect her to be polished when she does get the ball. We NEED an inside game to compliment our outside shooting...this isn't difficult to figure out. If, and when that materializes, we'll be much better off, on both ends of the floor Her development is key to success in March. And, believe ir or not, Geno said as much back in December. Glad to see her on the floor for 15 minutes yesterday, and hope to see more. Fortunately, championships are won in March & April.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the rundown....as I've mentioned previously during game chats, and in discussions here, if you live by the 3 point shot, or outside shooting, you'll die by it. It's taken Geno & crew time to get Olivia playing time (am not assigning blame here....it may just as well be Liv's fault she isn't on the floor more), however, every time she's on the floor, she's fighting for position, especially offensively, but, she seldom finds the pass coming her way. Even when she towers over those assigned to her. While we know our offense, almost to a fault, runs through KLS, Pheesa & CD, we need to look for Liv down low. If she's not getting these reps during the games, don't expect her to be polished when she does get the ball. We NEED an inside game to compliment our outside shooting...this isn't difficult to figure out. If, and when that materializes, we'll be much better off, on both ends of the floor Her development is key to success in March. And, believe ir or not, Geno said as much back in December. Glad to see her on the floor for 15 minutes yesterday, and hope to see more. Fortunately, championships are won in March & April.
l Agree with some of what you say. However, ONOs hands are not great in catching the
Div one speedball. She has to be an asset down the road or that road may end. If one must assign blame---BLAME LOUISVILLE/ JEFF WALZ--they played a great offensive and defensive game. They knew who to defend, foul when necessary, and who to ignore.
We can whoe is me all we want and we can have great expectations of the Junior, and longtime expectation of the underclassmen (women) it is what it is and much won't change this year. 3 experienced players are all Uconn has--that's a very very very short group. CW and MW and ONO will be good, better, great in TIME, it takes time to go from HS to Div 1 and the Geno system. If Uconn were only a run and gun team---anyone could play for Geno--this is precision basketball that is why I and you watch it. Accept-this team will not develop into Stew, Tuck, Moriah, Kia, Gabby--that ain't gona happen! Love them for what you see not what you want them to be.
This loss, I predicted, does not bother me one bit--some win some lose
C

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think when ONO keeps getting her shots blocked by players that are much shorter than her, sorta indicates that she isn't quite ready for the big time. I was shocked when she was blocked in last night's game and I think it was something that she didn't handle well (mentally).

Reaction Score
I think when ONO keeps getting her shots blocked by players that are much shorter than her, sorta indicates that she isn't quite ready for the big time. I was shocked when she was blocked in last night's game and I think it was something that she didn't handle well (mentally).

You saying she plays "small" for her size?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You saying she plays "small" for her size?
She's built like a high schooler. It is was it is. Megan transformed her body over last summer if ONO does the same this summer, she will be much, much more effective out there.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Best description of the game I sat and watched last night while surrounded by excited cardinal fans. What can I say, I root for the Cards whenever they play anyone except our Uconn girls. Point of reference, Google says I live 15 miles form the KFC Yum Center.
note: first half we sat behind Uconn's basket
What I observed:

Warm up drills were a lot of layups. During the game, not so much. Seemed like the whole team tried to see how long they could all stay outside the arc at the same time.

Cards made a committed effort to have at least two players bumping Lou & Phee the whole time and none of the other three stepped up or were a threat. Seriously! Watching on TV is not like being there. Hell's Bells it was like every time either of the two players received the ball, their expression was OH ! Hot Potato!

Lou, gotta love her. However, she is never going to beat two players by her lonesome. Never noticed this on TV but it takes Lou a little time to regain her balance after getting bumped. That little bit of time is enough for the defense to regroup/get position. No other players stepped up to be an offensive threat to enable Lou to get it going. Lou is trying to force her body to do stuff its just not capable of doing.

Phee is a real scoring threat when within 10' of the basket. Especially when passed the ball while she is moving to the basket. Probably happened last night but I didn't see it. I could have sworn she was trying out for a guard position. Again, I gotta say it seemed like a concerted effort to bump and move her away from the basket whenever she got close and they succeeded.

Danger, simply was not very dangerous. The shots I saw her miss were the ones where she left her feet while moving and missed the basket in the direction she was moving. Hey, I'm no guru/genius but unless it's a lay-up CD is not going to hit it, if she is not squared up. So why bother chucking it up? It's going to be a wasted possession if she isn't. Save time, just walk up and hand the ball to the other team.

For me, the one bright spot (other than actually being there seeing the girls play) was Liv! Yes, Olivia Nelson-Ododa. Wow, when this kid gets more minutes and they start passing her the ball! Oh Boy! I'm waiting to see that. Yep, she got blocked. One time I thought she was the ball in a pinball machine and the Cards were the paddles. Yep she missed the jump shot off a strong move in the second half. But her facial expression! her body language said I belong here, this is my space. hopefully before the season is over CW might start tossing the rock to the tall kid and let her miss instead of chucking up off balanced bombs. Wouldn't hurt if a couple other players were to toss it to the tall kid either.

Thankful I had the opportunity to see the girls live! The folks around me really enjoyed having a Uconn fan amoungst them. I was kind of the icing on the cake for em. Looking forward to the kids figuring out they have to be a part of the game not just in the game. and what the difference is.

Reaction Score
Just looked back at the box score and we only got 14 points from others besides the Big 3. Can't beat a top 5 team (or make the final four) with that (lack of) scoring balance.
I taped the game to watch today, but saw the result and the box score before watching. I watched about 6 minutes of the first quarter, and it seemed like some players already reached their made shot complement. I couldn’t continue to watch.

Biggest issue seems to be inconsistent shooting, and not everyone on the same page.

I fully realize how spoiled I have become in the past 30 years, especially the past 20. I’m thrilled I had the opportunity to go for this great ride. I feel badly for the upperclassmen. Might not be their year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom