Makai 360 dunk | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Makai 360 dunk

Reaction Score
Do you honestly believe that the coaches and basketball administrators don't demand excellence from the current players like they used to? Do you think our players aren't embarrassed by losing anymore?

The first question I'm not sure about. I do know we don't hear a lot of comments from the staff about the last few years being unacceptable by UConn standards. You know about the same as I do about the standards that are set in practice.

In terms of the second question, I think fewer of our players than in years past have the sort of pride and toughness that guys like Bazz, Kemba, Price, Adrien, etc. were known for. Adams does, but the bigs don't seem to. Doesn't make them bad kids, just lacking an attribute that has been key to our success in years past.

Reaction Score
Eh, that's your opinion.

Let me ask this: do you think this team takes losing as an affront the way they did under JC in the 90s and 00s? Because I think that demanding of excellence and being embarrassed by mediocrity propelled a lot of our success in that era and is lacking today.

Are there other factors at play? Of course. But attitude, pride, and toughness matter, and we don't have as many guys who have that as we used to.
You're hilarious man. When the talent or chemistry wasn't there under Calhoun it was exactly the same. I specifically remember watching a garbage Providence team run a glorified dunk contest against us for the entire 2nd half of a home game, and there are countless other examples.

Reaction Score
Yes, if Jackson can be good enough to earn 25-30 mpg at the 3/4, that will keep the defense honest. Or if Larrier can shoot worth a damn (he was terrible at VCU).

Even if Vital is a better shooter, I don't see him getting a lot of minutes over Adams/Gilbert/MAL though. Hopefully he can help in his 5-10 mpg though.

I wouldn't write Vital off as a 5-10 minute guy. There are going to be games where Gilbert's size is a problem.

H

huskymagic

I don't think Alterique will be starting next year. Makai reminds me of Jalen and looks to be a better player than Alterique with more size. Also we have Jackson and Larrier. Ollie has a decision about how to play, either we are playing a traditional NBA lineup or a small 3 guard set. This is all dependent on Jalen returning of course.

Option A: Jalen, Larrier, Vance, Durham, Enoch
Option B Jalen, Makai, Vance, Larrier, Enoch

Reaction Score
I don't think Alterique will be starting next year. Makai reminds me of Jalen and looks to be a better player than Alterique with more size. Also we have Jackson and Larrier. Ollie has a decision about how to play, either we are playing a traditional NBA lineup or a small 3 guard set. This is all dependent on Jalen returning of course.

Option A: Jalen, Larrier, Vance, Durham, Enoch
Option B Jalen, Makai, Vance, Larrier, Enoch

No chance option a. Zero ballhandling other than Jalen.

Larrier and Vance could split the 3/4 for us if we go small. Otherwise it's one of them on the court at a time.

With near 100% confidence I can tell you that Jalen, Alterique, MAL, and Vital will be almost the entirety of our PG and SG minutes.

pj

Reaction Score
No chance option a. Zero ballhandling other than Jalen.

Larrier and Vance could split the 3/4 for us if we go small. Otherwise it's one of them on the court at a time.

With near 100% confidence I can tell you that Jalen, Alterique, MAL, and Vital will be almost the entirety of our PG and SG minutes.

Yes, but I would bet we go even smaller. Jalen, Alterique, MAL share the minutes at 1/2. Occasionally all 3 are on the court together. Vance, Vital, Larrier, Polley fill out the 3 spot. Larrier, Durham, Polley, Diarra at the 4. Enoch and Carlton at the 5, maybe Durham can take minutes here if he gets a lot stronger.

All in all we are weak at the 5 and, while we are in good shape for ballhandlers and combination forwards, could use a versatile big guard/long wing who is athletic, can shoot the 3, drive, and can defend any position.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Before I opened this thread, I was hoping to see the dunk in a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom