Major kudos to Sherri Coale | The Boneyard

Major kudos to Sherri Coale

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
She had her team ready to play and came up with a great game plan.

Could she have just sealed her bid to be the Olympic coach?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
She might get an Asst Coach position with the National Team. Sherrie doesn't have a National Championship, nor a significant number of WNBA players that she's coached at Oklahoma. Others have more credentials for the Head Coach.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
She had her team ready to play and came up with a great game plan.

Could she have just sealed her bid to be the Olympic coach?

I wouldn't say sealed, but this ensures her name on the short list.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say sealed, but this ensures her name on the short list.

I agree. I admit to being surprised that the job hasn't already been given to Dawn Staley. Perhaps part of the delay has been due to USAB hoping Geno would change his mind. But I've always thought the job was Dawn's. For whatever reason, USAB doesn't appear to feel the same way.

Reaction Score
I agree. I admit to being surprised that the job hasn't already been given to Dawn Staley. Perhaps part of the delay has been due to USAB hoping Geno would change his mind. But I've always thought the job was Dawn's. For whatever reason, USAB doesn't appear to feel the same way.
As Geno is far and away the best coach in WBB, I'm sure USA Basketball will try hard to convince Geno and change his mind.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As Geno is far and away the best coach in WBB, I'm sure USA Basketball will try hard to convince Geno and change his mind.

USAB tried. He said no and it's final. Time to select another coach.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ain't happening.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Perhaps Geno is replicating the incomparable violinist, Jascha Heifetz, who was widely respected/adored/worshipped as the dominant violinist of the 20th century. After about 60 years of acclaimed success, and for a variety of reasons, he ceased performing in concerts.

He remained in demand and was persistently urged to return to the concert stage. Impressarios and promoters offered him the sun, moon and stars to play again for the public. He was offered riches, promised a vast worshipful congregation, literally a blank check.

He considered it. His response was very negative and absolutely final.

"I've already done that."

Case closed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree on Sherri doing a terrific job with this team - I thought it was a relatively weak team with good wings/guards and questionable size inside. To coach them up and put in the game plans to win the tournament was really impressive. The only blip on the team performance was the near collapse against Australia.
I honestly thought this might be the competition that USA ended their streak of golds on the women's side.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have the utmost respect for Coale. She is a great coach and Geno thought enough of her years ago to go out on a limb for her when recommending her for the OU job.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sherry had excellent assistants in Brian and Coquese, too.

Reaction Score
Sherri is an excellent coach. I think that she would be an ideal candidate to lead the the women's olympic squad. If there are no other ideal candidates that would want the job leading the women's basketball squad, coach Coale would be an excellent choice. But holy smokes that is a lot of pressure.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sherri did a great job with this WUG squad.........She knew when to sub and when to sit players. Had a good feel for the flow of the game. And was able to get some good experience for International game play. Whether that will translate into a Olympic coach bid is questionable. The USA has many qualified coaching candidates for the Olympic position ahead of Sherri in my thinking. But you never know.

She deserves credit for beating a very good Australian team in the semi's and a BIG Russian team in the final for the Gold.

Reaction Score
Its a very tough job being the USA coach and she needs to surround herself with WNBA and maybe and Men's coach....

What about Coach Doug?......

Reaction Score
There's quite a list ahead of Sherri. People have mentioned Dawn, and she is on that list, but she's got decades to fill out the narrative. Others I would put on a current short list include Lin Dunn, Carol Ross, Kim Mulkey and Muffet McGraw.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Just a hunch, but I think they may prefer a woman this time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I never have been as enamored with Dawn. She has not proven herself to be capable of running a top notch team yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom