Major Applewhite is Houston's Next Head Coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Major Applewhite is Houston's Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hunter is a smart guy, I would have been stunned if he hired Kiffin. That's too big a risk - that guy is a disaster as a head coach. Lane can't help but be Lane and that's a big downside.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It surprises me that posters dislike of Kiffin has clouded their ability to judge him as a coach. He was not a disaster as a head coach in college. He has had two jobs as head coach in college. He left his first job on bad terms, but it was his choice. UT didn't fire him. He was at USC when they had sanctions. And he did a decent job there. He has had great success at Bama as OC. I would guess he has grown up a bit. He is still only 41.

I would take him at UConn in a heartbeat. Great recruiter and offensive mind. Sure he would leave after two years but he is exactly what UConn needs right now. We don't need safe.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
It is NOT tame nor stupid.

It happened in an environment that the longtime National Championship Track Coach at Texas - Bev Kearney was just forced to resign (or be fired) FOR Having a consensual romantic relationship with a student-athlete. Therefore, ALL coaches needed to be held to that standard. Applewhite incident was brought up in the same timeframe and that's the breaks. Bottom line: Texas has a policy that Coaches cannot have consensual relationships with Texas students.
Bev Kearney was messing around with one of HER OWN ATHLETES. Applewhite was screwing a student trainer. Yes, their policy dictates he should have been let go, but I dont believe it should impact any potential future employer's view one bit. That's what i meant by "tame and stupid".

Reaction Score
Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte
Sources tell Houston Chronicle @UHCougarFBcoach @CoachApplewhite to get 5-yr deal w/ salary comparable to Tom Herman's first deal ($1.35M)

Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte 10 mins ago · Houston
Houston AD Hunter Yurachek says new coach Major Applewhite will make base salary $1.5 million

Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 6m 6 minutes ago
Incentives in @CoachApplewhite contract call for $100,000 for each win after 9. If goes unbeaten in regular season would be extra $400,000

Buyout:
Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte 10m10 minutes ago
Contract for @UHCougarFB coach @CoachApplewhite includes remaining value + 50% more for Texas schools

Also:
Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte 8 mins ago
New @UHCougarFB @CoachApplewhitesays there is an offer for defensive coordinator Todd Orlando to stay with program. No decision yet

Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte
AD @HunterYurachek says Houston offered UT AD Perrin home & home football/hoops series to reduce $2.5 million Herman buyout. Perrin declined

Last edited:
Reaction Score

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I was thinking how smart Herman is. When he got to Houston, it was a decent team and Greg Ward was there. It wasn't a rebuild...he just needed to augment what they already had Now he takes over a loaded Texas team. I would guess that team would have won 8 games next year with Strong.

Herman is a great coach...and he will probably get 10 wins out of that team, but he has walked into great situations.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It surprises me that posters dislike of Kiffin has clouded their ability to judge him as a coach. He was not a disaster as a head coach in college. He has had two jobs as head coach in college. He left his first job on bad terms, but it was his choice. UT didn't fire him. He was at USC when they had sanctions. And he did a decent job there. He has had great success at Bama as OC. I would guess he has grown up a bit. He is still only 41.

I would take him at UConn in a heartbeat. Great recruiter and offensive mind. Sure he would leave after two years but he is exactly what UConn needs right now. We don't need safe.

With the players that Bama gets - you would be a great OC
Look at HCBD at Notre Dame
Give me 11 All Americans and see what I can do

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
With the players that Bama gets - you would be a great OC
Look at HCBD at Notre Dame
Give me 11 All Americans and see what I can do

So I guess you don't think he will do well at FAU? I think he is going to do quite well there and within two years he will be a coach at a top program.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
So I guess you don't think he will do well at FAU? I think he is going to do quite well there and within two years he will be a coach at a top program.

Time will tell.

Crap, what am I gonna do with his autographed photo I just obtained for purchasing season tics, if he is gone in 2 years?

Reaction Score

Time will tell.

I don't think his coaching ability will be the problem. I don't think he'll be able to keep himself out of the headlines much longer. I know it's all heresay but go check out some Alabama forums and the stories floating around about the guy. I personally don't care, but I could see why major programs would

Reaction Score
I don't think his coaching ability will be the problem. I don't think he'll be able to keep himself out of the headlines much longer. I know it's all heresay but go check out some Alabama forums and the stories floating around about the guy. I personally don't care, but I could see why major programs would

I don't wanna go look, just tell me.

Reaction Score
I don't wanna go look, just tell me.
mostly just rumors and supposed first hand accounts of screwing around with coeds and having multiple girlfriends, even when he was still married

Reaction Score
mostly just rumors and supposed first hand accounts of screwing around with coeds and having multiple girlfriends, even when he was still married

How special.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Time will tell.
Coaching at FAU and being OC at Bama is 2 different things
I never said he was going to fail
You lauded him as OC at Bama and I'm saying with that talent you or I could be successful

Reaction Score
Houston should have gone with a defensive minded coach. Win with defense, ball control and get the game into the fourth quarter. Bend, don't break and keep the clock running.

Reaction Score
Coaching at FAU and being OC at Bama is 2 different things
I never said he was going to fail
You lauded him as OC at Bama and I'm saying with that talent you or I could be successful

Me too. Lane Kiffin couldn't win at Southern Cal. SOUTHERN CAL!,,,,, I could win at USC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom