Maine recap | The Boneyard

Maine recap

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I would have loved to hear that halftime speech from Hurley.

I thought we could have gone to Josh earlier, especially after building that early lead. But we chose to jack up a bunch of threes instead. I thought we took a few too many in the first half.

1st half D was very suspect, and we were lax on O as well.

That 2nd half Adams dunk reminded me of Lamb or Dyson.
Gilbert had a great game today.
Bouk showed his game and athleticism again.

And we covered again!

Reaction Score
I have No respect for how Maine plays when they are down double digits. They were still running the shot clock all the way down and not trying to win..they were only trying to not get embarrassed. We shouldn’t schedule them again with this coach.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I thought we could have gone to Josh earlier, especially after building that early lead. But we chose to jack up a bunch of threes instead.
Josh was horrid today. Going to him repetitively would have been a disaster.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have No respect for how Maine plays when they are down double digits. They were still running the shot clock all the way down and not trying to win..they were only trying to not get embarrassed. We shouldn’t schedule them again with this coach.
Hurley wasn’t pleased about it in the presser; he said they’re 353rd in pace of play.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Because trying to run with UConn would have increased their chances of winning?

They weren’t winning this game, so they were practicing their stuff against a good defense and elite athleticism. That’s gonna help against Binghamton and Stony Brook — the games that actually matter to them.

Barron is a good coach doing what he’s being paid to do - find a way to turn around one of the worst d1 programs of the last decade.

Reaction Score
They have a couple players who could role play for us, shooters.

Reaction Score
Because trying to run with UConn would have increased their chances of winning?

They weren’t winning this game, so they were practicing their stuff against a good defense and elite athleticism. That’s gonna help against Binghamton and Stony Brook — the games that actually matter to them.

Barron is a good coach doing what he’s being paid to do - find a way to turn around one of the worst d1 programs of the last decade.

You make good points. But kids want to try to win. When down, they should look to take some quicker shots or at least find some kind of happy medium.

And depending on our lineup, running is not a bad idea against us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is how a good team wins these kinds of game many times. You hit a stretch where they make a few in a row while we miss a few in a row and the Chat Room goes ballistic. They cool off, we get it together and can pick our score at the end. I'm just as happy as I was yesterday, maybe more after seeing BA take over for that stretch.

Reaction Score
Josh was horrid today. Going to him repetitively would have been a disaster.

This, he was pretty much a nonfactor today against a team he should be dominating. If he wasnt one of our only big men options , he'd be riding the bench instead of starting.

Reaction Score
I was fine with the way Maine played yesterday. Run the stuff you will need to run to potentially win games later on this year. They weren't coming back is what it is. Also won't be the only team that will try to use the clock more vs. our guys so our kids should've learned little something.

Disappointed in the great start on offense the defense was everything I fear from this group. So they did prove they still don't get the fact they need to be 110% in on both ends against everyone. They aren't good enough at all to not be playing passionate and hard defense from the tip. All of our KenPom and ranking talk is exactly what I don't want with this team. Make them earn every second of every game. Shouldn't matter if it's Iniana, Cincy or Maine play your balls off and that's how you become successful. Take your foot off the pedal and watch Maine hang around. They played harder in the 2nd half yeah, not a ton harder though Maine just was dreadful by then.

Josh wasn't good. Have to start playing 6'10 and making plays like you are rather than making yourself 6'4" going to the basket because at that point yeah even Maine can block your shot. And can we please install a ball fake into his game since he can't elevate? Polley yeah made a couple 3's and FTs but didn't deserve the FTs, very weak going to the basket and putting back a rebound. Man up Tyler this is the weakest team you will see go to the hole like you mean it. I don't care if you fn charge please finish like you intend to make a shot rather than hope you get a shot off. And move your feet on D weak effort yesterday on his part, slow feet no extra work on that end at all I watched him for a while. 6'9 can shoot, can't get to the hole and doesn't like to rebound or 6'4" can shoot, can get to the hole, can rebound? Almost time to change and there's 2 choices to take that spot.

Everyone else was ok. AG and BA good on both ends, JB nice job needs to stay with his man a little better but he's ok. CV minus some very bad decisions still tough on both ends.

Just an "EH!!" game they need they passion. I hate these week off games, a snowy crappy day with very much crowd excitement tough for them I get it. But they need to be a wild pack all the time, better see it vs Iona.

Reaction Score
I thought the coach summed it up pretty well:

"I was thrilled with the first two minutes and happier with the last 20...," Hurley said. "Coming out of this, we've got to get better offensively. We're not going to be able to out-tough and out-heart the better teams because all the better teams play really hard... We're not there yet. We've got a lot of work to do."

Games like this are good to build off and learn from- they won, so they can feel a little ok with themselves, but it’s not completely satisfying.

Reaction Score
I was fine with the way Maine played yesterday. Run the stuff you will need to run to potentially win games later on this year. They weren't coming back is what it is. Also won't be the only team that will try to use the clock more vs. our guys so our kids should've learned little something.

Disappointed in the great start on offense the defense was everything I fear from this group. So they did prove they still don't get the fact they need to be 110% in on both ends against everyone. They aren't good enough at all to not be playing passionate and hard defense from the tip. All of our KenPom and ranking talk is exactly what I don't want with this team. Make them earn every second of every game. Shouldn't matter if it's Iniana, Cincy or Maine play your balls off and that's how you become successful. Take your foot off the pedal and watch Maine hang around. They played harder in the 2nd half yeah, not a ton harder though Maine just was dreadful by then.

Josh wasn't good. Have to start playing 6'10 and making plays like you are rather than making yourself 6'4" going to the basket because at that point yeah even Maine can block your shot. And can we please install a ball fake into his game since he can't elevate? Polley yeah made a couple 3's and FTs but didn't deserve the FTs, very weak going to the basket and putting back a rebound. Man up Tyler this is the weakest team you will see go to the hole like you mean it. I don't care if you fn charge please finish like you intend to make a shot rather than hope you get a shot off. And move your feet on D weak effort yesterday on his part, slow feet no extra work on that end at all I watched him for a while. 6'9 can shoot, can't get to the hole and doesn't like to rebound or 6'4" can shoot, can get to the hole, can rebound? Almost time to change and there's 2 choices to take that spot.

Everyone else was ok. AG and BA good on both ends, JB nice job needs to stay with his man a little better but he's ok. CV minus some very bad decisions still tough on both ends.

Just an "EH!!" game they need they passion. I hate these week off games, a snowy crappy day with very much crowd excitement tough for them I get it. But they need to be a wild pack all the time, better see it vs Iona.
If he can’t elevate which he can’t, then he has to have 2 ball fake moves one a single then a double. It ain’t that hard. I can’t believe he doesn’t do that. Disagree about Polley though because for all he don’t do he can put points on the board making shots.

Reaction Score
If he can’t elevate which he can’t, then he has to have 2 ball fake moves one a single then a double. It ain’t that hard. I can’t believe he doesn’t do that. Disagree about Polley though because for all he don’t do he can put points on the board making shots.

Yeah but he can do that off the bench too. Hey I've always been on his side here but I can't stand seeing the same guy without any toughness in a pile not improving there. Bout is 6'4 and rebounds the ball purely by knock, smarts and wanting to go get it. Tyler needs to show some of that or he's a microwave shooter.

Reaction Score
Polley is pretty knockdown with his shot which is great. Stop crushing Carlton , its one bad game.

Reaction Score
Polley is pretty knockdown with his shot which is great. Stop crushing Carlton , its one bad game.

No one is crushing him FF but he shouldn't have a bad game against a bunch of 6'5 - 6'7 guys it should be one he is dominant like it or not. He was on cruise control and it's unacceptable for any of these guy to be on that period.

Reaction Score
I'm with Mauconnfan on Carlton completely. These are the games he should be putting a 20 spot up on. I dunno what it is - but it's like he's got zero idea that he's 6'11 and if anyone can fix a lot of our 2% issues and finishing at the rim - it's him. It's a confidence thing more than anything but he's stronger and larger than 90% of the guys he'll face this year and he plays like he's bigger than 10% of them. It just can't happen.

Part of it is a little bit of a function of how we feed him. He gets the ball 10-15 feet away from the basket all the time. Get him down low and get him the ball.

My biggest thing that I'd like to see more of is Hurley having these guys press right from the tip. I know this is going to sound really kinda mean - but this group has massive attention and focus issues. It's kind of just who they are. And their ability to create and maintain energy consistently is an ongoing problem and I feel like as soon as you let off the proverbial choker leash even a little bit - everything goes to crap quick. Like you just can't trust them to stay tuned in working half court and man to man for more than 4-5 minute stretches at a time.

So because of that I like keeping the press on because it just forces them to be 'on' all the time and even plays into their strengths - getting tips, invading passing lanes, etc. Not for nothing, but they've been fantastic on the press all year AND they've generated turnovers and points off turnovers consistently. I'd just like to see more of that, I guess.

I mean there's just a 5-7 minute period of time every first half where they just totally disappear and whether it's from the tip or later on, it's always there.

Reaction Score
I’m fully in Josh’s corner. He’s our big body and we can’t do this without him Especially in the AAC against strongmen. If he gets the ball down low and contested he has to pump fake and draw the foul or pass out of it. How many times do we see undersized centers abuse us inside? But let’s not forget an important factor which is Josh getting their bigs in foul trouble. Akok ain’t doing that I don’t think.

Reaction Score
I’m fully in Josh’s corner. He’s our big body and we can’t do this without him Especially in the AAC against strongmen. If he gets the ball down low and contested he has to pump fake and draw the foul or pass out of it. How many times do we see undersized centers abuse us inside? But let’s not forget an important factor which is Josh getting their bigs in foul trouble. Akok ain’t doing that I don’t think.
We’re all in josh’s corner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom