Mailbag: Azzi Fudd, life after Geno, status of the season and more | The Boneyard

Mailbag: Azzi Fudd, life after Geno, status of the season and more

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By David Connoly - Aug 27, 2020

Welcome to the UConn WBB Weekly, a recap of everything that happened in the world of UConn women’s basketball over the past week from the team that runs The UConn Blog and Storrs Central. David answers some of the questions some of you submitted earlier this week.

Three questions that were asked:
Why is Azzi Fudd’s commitment taking so long?
When can we expect to hear whatever school she decides?
Who do you think will take over after Geno leaves?

Also:
Geno feeling disrespected - Caroline Ducharme, one of UConn’s 2021 commits, went on the Masketball podcast and offered some unique insight into how Geno Auriemma believes his program is viewed right now.

Ducharme also touched on how she reacted when UConn first expressed interest, why she made sure to give all the schools that recruited her a fair shot and how she’s been staying sharp during quarantine. Listen to the full interview here.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Caroline is a pretty articulate person. Interesting that Geno talked with her about a number of former UConn players in relation to her game. She's said a number of times that she really appreciated his candor about her game and in this interview she intimated it was a decisive factor. She also said it is rare in recruiting dialogue. Certainly glad other programs stick to the flattery routine.

As for the other person @Carnac there is nothing to say.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that one of the most appealing things about Geno is his honest approach while interacting with the recruits. They know from the get-go that while there are many, many positive things involved the playing for the Lady Huskies but they have to be earned and he lets them know that does not come easy. Great players want challenges and Geno has an never ending basket full of them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think that one of the most appealing things about Geno is his honest approach while interacting with the recruits. They know from the get-go that while there are many, many positive things involved the playing for the Lady Huskies but they have to be earned and he lets them know that does not come easy. Great players want challenges and Geno has an never ending basket full of them.

Also, it must be very appealing (or I suppose in some cases daunting /scary) that he quickly analyzes the player at the moment and has a vision of what you can be and communicates that in detail. I cant imagine too many coaches being able to dissect every part of their game and diagnose weaknesses and map out how to progress.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There is no such thing as a Lady Husky. You must be trying to get banned. :p You have been around long enough to know that.:confused:

Reaction Score
First comparing to Lou which is natural and then to Carla Berube, Not sure I understand that one? Favorite players. Diana and Sue. She seems to be someone who watches alot of historical UConn Basketball.
I get the Berube. I think Geno has 2 distinct guard archetypes. There is the quick, smaller, driver, and pesky in your face deny defender. And then there is the longer, team defender get in the passing lane, and deadly ice in veins shooter. Caroline is in the latter archetype with a Berube, Strother, KML, and KLS. I remember in an interview Geno saying that Berube was the late game foul shooter.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
From this sentence in the mail bag I believe if Paige hadn't committed UConn wouldn't even be in the conversation: “This decision is going to be really hard. I’m a terrible decision maker.”

Reaction Score
From this sentence in the mail bag I believe if Paige hadn't committed UConn wouldn't even be in the conversation: “This decision is going to be really hard. I’m a terrible decision maker.”

That's a very old quote, maybe back to January while she was still rehabbing. I would think that she has had several of the top coaches offering to kiss her behind, giving her their best sales pitch since before 8th grade and I'm sure that Fudd has developed good relationships with many of them. She knows she's going to break some hearts and that can be tough for a 16/17 year old to have to do.

Reaction Score
I know that Azzi is the topic here but after losing Kiki Iriafen is there any word on McPherson or Hollingshead. I question McPherson’s motor and I believe that Hollinghead is the better shooter. I think we are going to love watching this group of talented young ladies over the next few years. This could be another banner generation for Yukon .

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I know that Azzi is the topic here but after losing Kiki Iriafen is there any word on McPherson or Hollingshead. I question McPherson’s motor and I believe that Hollinghead is the better shooter. I think we are going to love watching this group of talented young ladies over the next few years. This could be another banner generation for UConn .

Kayla McPherson committed to UNC on August 16th. Per this tweet:

Hollingshead hasn't released a list but in July said she has narrowed it down to about 10 to 15 schools. Mentioned she will sign at the end of her Senior year.
Per this article: Consensus top-30 Jillian Hollingshead taking her time

And not that Twitter is the be all, end all of recruiting, but Jillian doesn't seem to be following anyone connected to UConn. (Coaches or players). But is following coaches/WBBProgram Twitters of UNC, Duke, GT, UGA, UTexas, UTenn, UAlabama, FSU, UCLA, Notre Dame, NCState, UVA, and Purdue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see that Kayla McPherson signed with North Carolina I believe I was thinking about Rayah Marshall any word on her and where she may be going

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is the nature of recruiting that it is somewhat cyclical. A few strong recruiting classes scare many in the next couple of classes away. I think there is more juice in this strong phase, but a day will come ...

PS. Why would anyone waste a question in the Mailbag about she who shall not be named recruiting, since it is notoriously well established that on recruiting she's a sphinx.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It is the nature of recruiting that it is somewhat cyclical. A few strong recruiting classes scare many in the next couple of classes away. I think there is more juice in this strong phase, but a day will come ...

PS. Why would anyone waste a question in the Mailbag about she who shall not be named recruiting, since it is notoriously well established that on recruiting she's a sphinx.

The same reason people bring it up here over and over and over and over.

In our overshare, social media society, it's almost like we're uncomfortable when someone isn't willing to show all of their cards. We almost feel like people owe it to us to share everything when we do it ourselves.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The same reason people bring it up here over and over and over and over.

In our overshare, social media society, it's almost like we're uncomfortable when someone isn't willing to show all of their cards. We almost feel like people owe it to us to share everything when we do it ourselves.

I think the admission that Azzi finds making decisions hard illuminating. Just leave all the hard decisions to Paige. ;);)

Reaction Score

Maybe because they're not aware that she doesn't blab all of her recruiting Top 25's info all over Twitter along with a few "knowledgeable" AAU groupies. I respect her for keeping her business to herself.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Clarifications on Azzi:

Her statement on being the worst decision maker comes from several months ago. It is not something she has said recently, at least not publicly. I don’t know Azzi personally, though I’ve talked to Tim and other people who know her, and I’ve seen her at about 10 games and watched her interactions with coaches, teammates, family, and friends. She is an absolute sweetheart of a person. I can understand her not wanting to disappoint a number of coaches.

In perhaps the most recent interview—when she was working out at a local gym in NoVa last month with Paige—she said she hopes to make a decision soon. My guess is that she’ll decide and announce no later than the early signing period in about 11 weeks. She and her family have a good relationship with Geno et al., but there must be some appeal elsewhere that has/had her conflicted. It could be coaches, locations, etc.

I obviously hope she chooses UConn. Part of the reason is that she is such a great kid who would be an asset to any team or university. As with many of you, I think she needs to play for Geno and with Paige.

Reaction Score
A couple of weeks ago when she announced she would accept Stanford's offer. Some people think you can "lose" something you never had.
I once lost a million bucks in gold and a winning lottery ticket worth 56 million on the same day!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Clarifications on Azzi:

Her statement on being the worst decision maker comes from several months ago. It is not something she has said recently, at least not publicly. I don’t know Azzi personally, though I’ve talked to Tim and other people who know her, and I’ve seen her at about 10 games and watched her interactions with coaches, teammates, family, and friends. She is an absolute sweetheart of a person. I can understand her not wanting to disappoint a number of coaches.

In perhaps the most recent interview—when she was working out at a local gym in NoVa last month with Paige—she said she hopes to make a decision soon. My guess is that she’ll decide and announce no later than the early signing period in about 11 weeks. She and her family have a good relationship with Geno et al., but there must be some appeal elsewhere that has/had her conflicted. It could be coaches, locations, etc.

I obviously hope she chooses UConn. Part of the reason is that she is such a great kid who would be an asset to any team or university. As with many of you, I think she needs to play for Geno and with Paige.

With Jamelle back on staff and heavily involved in recruiting, I like our chances more NOW than I did before she rejoined the staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom