Mahaney Visiting UConn this weekend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mahaney Visiting UConn this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
if we lose AK who are our PFs? stewart and liam? theyre both shorter and dare i say weaker than AK. it never mattered but he was undersized at times againts certain frontcourts.
Johnson

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
My gut says it's one of Brea or Mahaney, not both. That would be A LOT of wings on the roster.

This will probably be the only time I ever say I'd prefer someone over a 49% 3pt shooter, but I see a lot of Cam in Mahaney and I want that on the roster. Brea feels a bit redundant if the McNeeley rumors are true, and he's likely asking for a BAG of NIL considering his list.
Mahaney gives us more lineup flexibility and seems more like a creator, which is something we are losing with Newton & Cam. I’d be stoked with either, but my preference is also the St. Mary’s kid

Reaction Score
My gut says it's one of Brea or Mahaney, not both. That would be A LOT of wings on the roster.

This will probably be the only time I ever say I'd prefer someone over a 49% 3pt shooter, but I see a lot of Cam in Mahaney and I want that on the roster. Brea feels a bit redundant if the McNeeley rumors are true, and he's likely asking for a BAG of NIL considering his list.
Yep
Mahaney will be Cam Jr

Reaction Score
0% chance this happens. He is not a PF and we'd have 2 guys in Stewart and Abraham who are best suited as a 4 and another in McNeeley who may end up being more of a 4 than a 3
Wasn’t he projected to start at 4 two seasons back? Got hurt then Karaban took over.
I could see it depending on matchups.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t he projected to start at 4 two seasons back? Got hurt then Karaban took over.
Nobody ever agrees on why that happened but he did start the first game there last year before Karaban came back from his injury. But I can't see Hurley abandoning what's made us the best offense in the country the last 2 years to play Johnson at the 4 and have 2 guys parked in the paint 3 feet from the basket

Reaction Score

Can't have two non shooters on the court, Samson at the four would require Reed or Singare also on the floor. This would be a weak offensive lineup to say the least and I would expect there are 0 minutes any of those two are on the court together over the course of next season.

Multiple facilitators and scoring options is what makes this team click.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Did Hurley give this kid an extended bro hug after last year's tourney game?

Reaction Score
Can't have two non shooters on the court, Samson at the four would require Reed or Singare also on the floor. This would be a weak offensive lineup to say the least and I would expect there are 0 minutes any of those two are on the court together over the course of next season.

Multiple facilitators and scoring options is what makes this team click.
We've been playing combo forwards at the 4 the last couple years bc we had the luxury of elite centers and big studly backcourts. None of our current or incoming 4s are true power forwards, and we won't necessarily have the above luxuries anymore. I'm not particularly worried, but imo we're more likely to have a "where's the beef" problem this coming season than we have in the last 2. Still can't believe Maliq Brown went to freaking Duke.

Reaction Score
We've been playing combo forwards at the 4 the last couple years bc we had the luxury of elite centers and big studly backcourts. None of our current or incoming 4s are true power forwards, and we won't necessarily have the above luxuries anymore. I'm not particularly worried, but imo we're more likely to have a "where's the beef" problem this coming season than we have in the last 2. Still can't believe Maliq Brown went to freaking Duke.

He must be intrigued by the prospect of his 6mpg by the end of next season at dook

Reaction Score
I think Mahaney provides more flexibility than Brea. Has a Cam-lite vibe about him

Reaction Score
It's f
It's funny that people keep thinking Flagg is a 4 bc he's tall.
Flagg is listed at 6'8 and McNeeley at 6'7 in some reports. Liam does not have a huge wingspan listed at 6'7. Flagg seems bigger, longer span.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall UConn facing many teams that play a true center and a true PF, if there is such a thing. Seems both the college game and NBA are going with stretch-4s.

Having enough bigs to man the post against those teams that have big 5s is important.

As long UConn continues their discipline team rebounding and help D, they'll be fine playing Stewart or Karaban type combo forwards (6-7 to 6-8 range) at the 4.

Having a team where they can play a lot of multi-position players is fine in Hurley's offense and defense. If AK doesn't return, adding another combo forward in addition to McNeeley would be good. I hope Stewart and Ross work hard in the weight room so they can fill some minutes at the 4 when needed.

Reaction Score
If not for NIL money or fear that they'd have to earn a starting spot, why on earth would good players not want to come to UCONN over KY, Creighton and VA? If that is the case, we don't want them!

Reaction Score
the samson at PF bandwagon needs to drive off a cliff already
I’m not a bandwagon-er. I simply said I recalled Johnson was pencilled in as the starting 4 at the start of Karaban’s freshmen year and was displaced by injury.

Reaction Score
Good point?
I just wanted Maliq Brown and I'm bitter. And I don't think he competes with Flagg for minutes positionally. Sorry for dragging this thread way the hell off topic.

I do like Mahaney, but I can also see it pissing Diarra off, even though a 4th ball handler from somewhere on the court is needed.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall UConn facing many teams that play a true center and a true PF, if there is such a thing. Seems both the college game and NBA are going with stretch-4s.

Having enough bigs to man the post against those teams that have big 5s is important.

As long UConn continues their discipline team rebounding and help D, they'll be fine playing Stewart or Karaban type combo forwards (6-7 to 6-8 range) at the 4.

Having a team where they can play a lot of multi-position players is fine in Hurley's offense and defense. If AK doesn't return, adding another combo forward in addition to McNeeley would be good. I hope Stewart and Ross work hard in the weight room so they can fill some minutes at the 4 when needed.
Our “weakness” with small 4s could be a strength at the same time as tall bulky 4s from other teams would have to chase our players all around and guard the 3 point line. Look what we did against Purdue. Yes Karaban had to guard Edey the last 6-8 minutes in the championship game, however this opened up the floor when Edey was stretched near the 3 point line trying to guard AK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom