Maggie Dixon's resting place is. . . | The Boneyard

Maggie Dixon's resting place is. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . at the cemetery at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. It is small, meticulously maintained, and extremely exclusive. All plots are reserved for alumni of USMA, and many gravestones bear the name and rank, plus pertinent data (e.g., significant awards/decorations, class #, etc.). There are a few spouses buried alongside their departed husbands (seems like mostly generals) but I don't know the rules for admission, so to speak.

I know of only two tombstones of non-USMA graduates: Earl Blaik and Maggie Dixon. Blaik was the revered long-time football coach and he is honored with a burial plot, over which is an inexcusably tasteless tombstone in brown marble, shaped like a football standing on end.

Given the brevity of Maggie's tenure as the Army wcbb coach, it is a remarkable tribute to her that she be so honored by the Academy. Here is her gravesite:

Maggie_Dixon.JPG

"SO GOOD - SO YOUNG - SO WISE"

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit a correction. Earl Blaik did graduate from USMA (class of 1920). After two years of active duty he left the service and began his coaching career, first at Dartmouth, later (1941-1958) at West Point. He was awarded the rank of colonel when coaching at Army.

Thus, Maggie Dixon is apparently the only non-USMA grad accorded the singular honor of burial at West Point. Certainly a classic honor.

Reaction Score
Absolutely incredible the impact she had on the Army campus in such a short period of time. Everyone LOVED her! She was given at standing ovation by the entire cadet student body the morning after they won the Patroit League championship when she walked into the dining hall. I was privileged to attend that game and witness complete bliss and pandemonium when the cadets stormed the court put Coach Dixon on their shoulders and carried her off. I get goosebumps writing this reflecting on that moment.

Reaction Score
She was an amazing young woman who shined where ever she was! No one who ever met Maggie Dixon had a bad word to say about her!
That is why her sudden death was such a shock and sadness to the WBB world!
She was an assistant on Doug Bruno's DePaul staff and left DePaul to take the Army Head Coach job!
Geno says if invited UCONN will always play in the Maggie Dixon Classic at MSG in NYC!
Please take the time an look up as much info on Maggie Dixon's life as you can find she was truly an inspirational human being as well as WBB coach!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc