Made Up Rivalry With UCF Over; Trophy Still Missing | The Boneyard

Made Up Rivalry With UCF Over; Trophy Still Missing

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The Bristol Press - Made-up UConn football rivalry with UCF over, but trophy still missing

It likely wasn’t akin to a scene from “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” where a lonely worker wheels a crate containing a priceless artifact through a giant maze of identical boxes full of perhaps just as valuable treasures.

No, the final resting place of the Civil Conflict Trophy - former UConn head coach Bob Diaco’s odd, poorly planned moniker for his team’s game with Central Florida - probably isn’t as dramatic.

But it’s a mystery nonetheless.

Diaco envisioned the hardware being a much sought-after spoil for the victors of the annual meeting between two geographically dissimilar opponents thrust together by the vagaries of conference realignment. And, indeed, in the first year of the concocted rivalry, Diaco’s Huskies did dance around Bright House Networks Stadium with the trophy after beating UCF 40-13.

The problem was, of course, that the Knights weren’t exactly in on the joke. Former UCF head coach George O’Leary had given something akin to tacit approval of Diaco’s plan - after the first trophy Diaco created was fixed to include a missing score from the series, and amended to include the Knights’ correct logo - but neither UCF officials nor its players exactly embraced the idea.

What happened to the trophy following the game remains in doubt. Numerous UConn officials claim they have no knowledge of its final resting place.

“I honestly don’t know,” UConn Athletic Director David Benedict said Tuesday. “That trophy was there before I got there. I believe that trophy was commissioned and paid for by coach Diaco. And therefore if it left with him, I don’t know that, but if it did that’s fine.”

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Diaco burned it in a firepit. And recycled the metal plates.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Diaco burned it in a firepit. And recycled the metal plates.
Shocking (in a good way). I would have guessed you had it, and were looking to add it to your obscure collection of meaningless sports memorabilia so you could trade it for a coffee, pack of beef jerky, and the 2020 SI Body Issue sometime around the year 2047.

;)

Reaction Score
Just wait two or three years from now! Scott Frost leaves UCF and moves on to a bigger position. UCF then hires wildly successful Nebraska Defensive Coordinator Bob Diaco as head coach. Within days the Civil Conflict Trophy reappears in his office and the rivalry is reborn!

Reaction Score
Just wait two or three years from now! Scott Frost leaves UCF and moves on to a bigger position. UCF then hires wildly successful Nebraska Defensive Coordinator Bob Diaco as head coach. Within days the Civil Conflict Trophy reappears in his office and the rivalry is reborn!

Except, after beating UCF, UConn leaves it on their sideline.

Reaction Score
Shocking (in a good way). I would have guessed you had it, and were looking to add it to your obscure collection of meaningless sports memorabilia so you could trade it for a coffee, pack of beef jerky, and the 2020 SI Body Issue sometime around the year 2047.

;)
I am glad you don't know me. :p

I don't see this trophy going for above 200 on ebay or in any auction house. I'd pay 102.50 for the trophy.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think whomever ends up with possession of the trophy should record a video analogous to the scene in "Office Space" where they take turns bashing office equipment with a baseball bat, only in this case the trophy becomes the object of their destruction. Then they should post the video on YouTube.

Reaction Score
I think whomever ends up with possession of the trophy should record a video analogous to the scene in "Office Space" where they take turns bashing office equipment with a baseball bat, only in this case the trophy becomes the object of their destruction. Then they should post the video on YouTube.
That wouldn't make us look good. Best this thing disappears or be kept in some collection that no one knows about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Personally I think we should repurpose the trophy into the "P6 Championship Trophy."

Reaction Score
CGb_HNRWgAAMiEj.jpg

I saw the trophy for sale at the Spring Game for $25 dollars at the clearance section. lol!!!

Reaction Score
honestly, it'd be cool to keep it around as a "remember when...." memento when we are curbstomping college football down the road.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
$39. In honor of Bobs record last year. Remember after we beat Cincy and we're 3-3? LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom