Maddy Siegrist is a great player and sometimes mentioned as a possible Player of the Year | The Boneyard

Maddy Siegrist is a great player and sometimes mentioned as a possible Player of the Year

Reaction Score
Siegrist is a great player and sometimes mentioned as a possible Player of the Year.
But for some reason (Can anyone guess why?) she never reaches that level when she
plays UConn.
Yes, her performances are good or vey good, but she is always “held in check” and never able to take over the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do love Siegrists’game and she will do well at the next level. I do have a few observations watching her over the years. Her movement without the ball could be a lot better, although that could be coaching and playing against a stifling UConn D. Her three point shooting is OK and I’m sure she will improve in that area. She is not a good defensive player. Some will say she was handcuffed by fouls today but right from the get go, her D was at best porous. Now that being said, who wouldn’t want her on their team and I’m glad we don’t have to face her again (unless in the tourney). Good luck Maddie Siegrist you were a joy to watch.

Reaction Score
I’d compare her inefficiency against (some) top teams to that stretch where Lou was the only consistent perimeter threat. When Lou was basically being face-guarded, she could struggle to score and/or have lower shooting percentages. Siegrist has gotten some help from Olsen, Burke, and Dalce, but teams still know that making life difficult for Siegrist makes it more difficult for Villanova to win. She’s a great player and I have little doubt she’ll be a first round draft pick.

Reaction Score
Siegrist is a great player and sometimes mentioned as a possible Player of the Year.
But for some reason (Can anyone guess why?) she never reaches that level when she
plays UConn.
Yes, her performances are good or vey good, but she is always “held in check” and never able to take over the game.
What wonderful eyes you have Mr/Ms Ardenque! Well, each to his/her own. Outside the rabbit hole, Siegrist is a fantastic player who can score everywhere on the court-- even when doubled by Uconn star defenders. Perhaps I should read you as asking how Siegrist would fare had she been assigned to Edwards (Listen to GA's comments about the matched-up).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Maddy made a " senior leap" (kind of) after playing on the 3X3 circuit this past summer. (IMO)
I was rooting her Ms. Siegrist to get to those 20 points last night to maintain her streak. Next
up is Kelsey Plum at 35 games in a row. Maddy is at 34.

Reaction Score
Maddie is a great scorer and a pretty good defender. She can get her shot in very unexpected ways. Of course she’s going to be a little less effective against top defensive teams. But even then she still manages to score 20. With players like her, or Clark or Morrow, the goal isn’t to shut them down but merely to contain their impact on the game.

Reaction Score
Maddie is a great scorer and a pretty good defender. She can get her shot in very unexpected ways. Of course she’s going to be a little less effective against top defensive teams. But even then she still manages to score 20. With players like her, or Clark or Morrow, the goal isn’t to shut them down but merely to contain their impact on the game.
BD, I was with you 100% except for the pretty good defender part. I'm still baffled at how she gets a lot of those shots off.

Reaction Score
plays UConn.
Maddy is a great player- I enjoy watching her play. Also enjoyed watching Aliyah defend her. Seemed to leave Maddy a little dazed and confused ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The degree of difficulty on the shots she made was off the charts. Still scratching my head, that in the face of the great defense , how did that go in? Happy we won't play her anymore. Against a poor defense, a la Iowa, she could score 50 again.

Reaction Score
Come on, now - how could anyone have any criticism of this kid's game? As @my2cents mentioned above, "her degree of difficulty on the shots she made was off the charts", and she made them appear effortless. As Geno alluded to in the post game presser, Maddy was "the best player on the court". UConn played terrific defense, they "contained her (20pts) but certainly didn't stop her.

Reaction Score
The degree of difficulty on the shots she made was off the charts. Still scratching my head, that in the face of the great defense , how did that go in? Happy we won't play her anymore. Against a poor defense, a la Iowa, she could score 50 again.

Ummmm..... They could meet in the NCAA tournament

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The same can be said of Clarke from Iowa. UConn has played against her three times, and kept her below her average, including a head to head game with Paige. Please correct me if I am misremembering.

Reaction Score
Siegrist is the type of kid you look at(like Marina Mabrey or Chelsea Gray) and wonder....."how is she that good?"

Maddy has exceptional body control, great footwork, and very long arms. She is both very crafty and she has excellent touch around the basket, plus she can score in a variety of ways. She's great at methodically backing defenders down and then using her skill set to get an array of different type of shots off and her long arms allow her to shoot mid range jumpers(which she makes a lot of) with defenders in her face. She is just a very fundamentally sound player who you can tell received excellent coaching as a kid. Whoever said EDD, I can see it. She is very much Diet Elena Delle Donne.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Siegrist is the type of kid you look at(like Marina Mabrey or Chelsea Gray) and wonder....."how is she that good?"

Maddy has exceptional body control, great footwork, and very long arms. She is both very crafty and she has excellent touch around the basket, plus she can score in a variety of ways. She's great at methodically backing defenders down and then using her skill set to get an array of different type of shots off and her long arms allow her to shoot mid range jumpers(which she makes a lot of) with defenders in her face. She is just a very fundamentally sound player who you can tell received excellent coaching as a kid. Whoever said EDD, I can see it. She is very much Diet Elena Delle Donne.
And perhaps a Stewie Jr.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom