Lynx's draft picks point more toward the long term | The Boneyard

Lynx's draft picks point more toward the long term

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
JIM SOUHAN - Star Tribune APRIL 17, 2020

With their first round pick (6th overall), they they chose South Carolina power forward Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, a talented and competitive athlete who needs to improve as a rebounder and continue to develop offensively. In the second round, they chose 5-5 point guard Crystal Dangerfield, then they traded veteran stretch forward Stephanie Talbot to New York for third-round draft pick Erica Ogwumike (Rice), sister of Nneka and Chiney.

If you look closely at these selections, you'll see a team that wants to remain competitive and hoping to blossom again in 2-3 years.

2020 WNBA Draft Conference Call With Commissioner Cathy Engelbert..............Warning, it's very lengthy.
If you're a fan of the W, it's worth the read. It addresses lots of issues and concerns about the league.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
JIM SOUHAN - Star Tribune APRIL 17, 2020

With their first round pick (6th overall), they they chose South Carolina power forward Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, a talented and competitive athlete who needs to improve as a rebounder and continue to develop offensively. In the second round, they chose 5-5 point guard Crystal Dangerfield, then they traded veteran stretch forward Stephanie Talbot to New York for third-round draft pick Erica Ogwumike (Rice), sister of Nneka and Chiney.

If you look closely at these selections, you'll see a team that wants to remain competitive and hoping to blossom again in 2-3 years.

2020 WNBA Draft Conference Call With Commissioner Cathy Engelbert..............

Warning, it's very lengthy. If you're a fan of the W, it's worth the read. It addresses lots of issues and concerns about the league.

Doesnt make sense to me how this helps them long term. MHH is athletic and has range but I think they whiffed big time by passing up on Walker. Megan projects as a strong 2-3 in the league, gives them someone who moves well off the ball and can hit shots. Improved by leaps and bounds the last 2 years and still has huge upside. 6-1 and strong, she's a great wing prototype.

If they wanted an interior oriented player, Hebard was the clear stronger forward prospect available. MHH is a better defender but is smaller and likely will never be as good offensively as Hebard. They also have Collier and Shepard Shepard the 3/4 and both are a lot better than MHH IMO. Not sure how she's going to fit in.

Dangerfield has the makings of being a quality backup, but I dont think she has a lot of untapped potential. Could be wrong, but I dont see her being markedly better in 2-3 years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Doesnt make sense to me how this helps them long term. MHH is athletic and has range but I think they whiffed big time by passing up on Walker. Megan projects as a strong 2-3 in the league, gives them someone who moves well off the ball and can hit shots. Improved by leaps and bounds the last 2 years and still has huge upside. 6-1 and strong, she's a great wing prototype.

If they wanted an interior oriented player, Hebard was the clear stronger forward prospect available. MHH is a better defender but is smaller and likely will never be as good offensively as Hebard. They also have Collier and Shepard Shepard the 3/4 and both are a lot better than MHH IMO. Not sure how she's going to fit in.

Dangerfield has the makings of being a quality backup, but I dont think she has a lot of untapped potential. Could be wrong, but I dont see her being markedly better in 2-3 years.

I agree. Hebard and Walker were still available at the 6th pick, but Reeve chose to go in a different direction.
She had to see something in Harrigan that she liked, or figured she could cultivate. I would have bet $$$ she would take Walker if she was available. That's why I don't gamble. I would have taken Walker or Hebard (are ready now) over Harrigan. I think both will be better players in the long run. I'll keep an eye on Harrigan over the next 4-5 years and see if she has a significant impact on her team. Reeve traded for Erica, so I imagine she's a keeper. She's also the GM. She knows her team and the direction she wants to go, we'll see. That was a head scratcher for sure. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

We’ll have to see.... after the Lynx drafted HH Coach Reeve said she believes KiKi is the best two way player in the draft and it seems that way to me. I’m high on Walker as well but she needs to dramatically improve her game off the bounce as well as learn how to create for herself. She has an excellent set shot and is very good off screens but if you can’t take your defender one on one and make a play then you’ll have a tough time adjusting. Same goes for Hebard....outstanding in the pick and roll and on the run. She can definitely finish just about everything she catches but she doesn’t have a face up game or a back to the basket game. She actually went to the perfect team because with Sloot she’ll be able to do some of the same things she did with Ionescu at Oregon. Set screens and roll to the basket. She’ll have to work tremendously on her pick and pop out to 18” to be an effective PF or I think she’ll be Dolson’s backup in an undersized Center role.

That doesn’t go without saying KiKi doesn’t have holes in her game to fill as well. Up until this year her rebounding numbers sucked so she has to improve in that area to be effective but Rebekkah Brunson (Lynx Franchise leader in rebounds) says she doesn’t think KiKi will have problems in that department after working alongside her and Pierson. They also raved about her efficiency both offensively and defensively. I think all three will have great careers in the W, it’s just a matter of who’s willing to work the hardest to overcome her shortcomings.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We’ll have to see.... after the Lynx drafted HH Coach Reeve said she believes KiKi is the best two way player in the draft and it seems that way to me. I’m high on Walker as well but she needs to dramatically improve her game off the bounce as well as learn how to create for herself. She has an excellent set shot and is very good off screens but if you can’t take your defender one on one and make a play then you’ll have a tough time adjusting. Same goes for Hebard....outstanding in the pick and roll and on the run. She can definitely finish just about everything she catches but she doesn’t have a face up game or a back to the basket game. She actually went to the perfect team because with Sloot she’ll be able to do some of the same things she did with Ionescu at Oregon. Set screens and roll to the basket. She’ll have to work tremendously on her pick and pop out to 18” to be an effective PF or I think she’ll be Dolson’s backup in an undersized Center role.

That doesn’t go without saying KiKi doesn’t have holes in her game to fill as well. Up until this year her rebounding numbers sucked so she has to improve in that area to be effective but Rebekkah Brunson (Lynx Franchise leader in rebounds) says she doesn’t think KiKi will have problems in that department after working alongside her and Pierson. They also raved about her efficiency both offensively and defensively. I think all three will have great careers in the W, it’s just a matter of who’s willing to work the hardest to overcome her shortcomings.

Hebard has an outstanding back to the basket game....hands down the best of anyone in this class. No one is as quick around the basket as she is and she has great footwork inside. Face up game we haven't seen at all but that's easier to develop over time. Hebard has also said she has a better face up game than people have seen because at Oregon she was always surrounded by shooters so she wasn't expected to be a face up player, she was their post. I do agree she'll be a great fit in Chicago.

M. Walker is younger, a more proven scorer and gives them a good wing to pair with Collier for the future. Walker can take players off the dribble too even if she is best coming off screens as a shooter. Better rebounder than MHH and better perimeter skills. Gives the wing position a big boost since they were not a strong 3pt shooting team and could use help at the 2/3.

MHH is a great shot blocker and defender....I see her filling a role similar to the one Dantas filled for Minnesota last year. Stretch 4 but not the best interior scorer. Long term I think she's best suited to be a 3/4 type of player but isn't ever going to take over Collier's role so I don't see the benefit of taking her. Also, MHH has some good skills and upside, but also has big question marks as she was never a primary scorer in college. Usually that doesn't translate well to the league but we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Hebard has an outstanding back to the basket game....hands down the best of anyone in this class. No one is as quick around the basket as she is and she has great footwork inside. Face up game we haven't seen at all but that's easier to develop over time. Hebard has also said she has a better face up game than people have seen because at Oregon she was always surrounded by shooters so she wasn't expected to be a face up player, she was their post. I do agree she'll be a great fit in Chicago.

M. Walker is younger, a more proven scorer and gives them a good wing to pair with Collier for the future. Walker can take players off the dribble too even if she is best coming off screens as a shooter. Better rebounder than MHH and better perimeter skills. Gives the wing position a big boost since they were not a strong 3pt shooting team and could use help at the 2/3.

MHH is a great shot blocker and defender....I see her filling a role similar to the one Dantas filled for Minnesota last year. Stretch 4 but not the best interior scorer. Long term I think she's best suited to be a 3/4 type of player but isn't ever going to take over Collier's role so I don't see the benefit of taking her. Also, MHH has some good skills and upside, but also has big question marks as she was never a primary scorer in college. Usually that doesn't translate well to the league but we'll see what happens.

Great break down! I’m happy all these young women dreams came true and excited to see the rest of their journey’s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom