Lynx vs. Sky Game Thread | The Boneyard

Lynx vs. Sky Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Rare 12:30 pm start, on WNBA Season Pass.

EDD had the flu last Sat. Will give it a go today. Should be an interesting game.

Reaction Score
What great thinking by the WNBA ! Lets schedule a game featuring two of the top players in the world for a wednesday lunchtime start. Oh, it must be a holiday to attract maximum fans..... Nope !!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lynx 46-40 at the half. EDD is not 100%.

Did the announcers say that? I'm sneaking peeks with no sound. She looks ok visually, though maybe she has a little more spring in her step usually.

Hate these daytime games because they are games I just lose from my season tickets. And there are 3 this year instead of the usual 2, so I'm paying for 17 games but really getting 14. And then to do one against the Lynx, so I'm robbed of a chance to watch Maya Moore (imo, the best wbb player alive)...grrr...

Chicago having trouble on defense (shocker) and getting worked down low (shocker) because De Souza is washed up and Parker is still green. Parker does look better this year. I think she will be a a solid player eventually if she keeps working at it. Those years of smoking and drinking her way through college cost her precious development time that it's going to take a while to make up, even playing year round.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Did the announcers say that? I'm sneaking peeks with no sound. She looks ok visually, though maybe she has a little more spring in her step usually.

Hate these daytime games because they are games I just lose from my season tickets. And there are 3 this year instead of the usual 2, so I'm paying for 17 games but really getting 14. And then to do one against the Lynx, so I'm robbed of a chance to watch Maya Moore (imo, the best wbb player alive)...grrr...

Chicago having trouble on defense (shocker) and getting worked down low (shocker) because De Souza is washed up and Parker is still green. Parker does look better this year. I think she will be a a solid player eventually if she keeps working at it. Those years of smoking and drinking her way through college cost her precious development time that it's going to take a while to make up, even playing year round.
Is there any particular reason for daytime games?
EDD interviewed at halftime. Says she feels alright, but Chapman has rested EDD several times ( don't know how many minutes she played.) Maybe saving her for the fourth quarter.

On another note, perhaps olympic committee should have waited for the first two weeks of the WNBA season. Several players are in much better shape than last season. I think I could put together a really competitive team of players not selected for Olympics. eg Sue Bird and Lindsey Whalen have not looked "olympian" thusfar. I have been impressed by Van der Sloot, Poindexter, and even Rene Montgomery. Oh, well. Beating a dead horse.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Is there any particular reason for daytime games?

Probably money. Doesn't look like there's that many people there today but they usually pack them in for "camp days". Even if they are selling the tickets to these camps cheap (say $10 each), they are still probably making more on ticket sales than they do in single-game sales for a normal weeknight home game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On another note, perhaps olympic committee should have waited for the first two weeks of the WNBA season. Several players are in much better shape than last season.
Fair warning you are going to catch much shade for this suggestion. It has already been pronounced as " Stupid".

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Fair warning you are going to catch much shade for this suggestion. It has already been pronounced as " Stupid".
Yes, I know. that's okay. It's just that some players look much improved from last year. Other players seem to be getting by on their past reputation.

On a side note, because of the seasons, the Men's team is picked right after the NBA season, which seems more ideal. The women's team was picked before they played a single game. Both teams shoudl win the Gold, though.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
3rd quarter Lynx 67-59. Lynx have led most of the game. Howard for Lynx is unsung hero.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
FINAL, Lynx win, 97-80, blew it open in the 4th quarter ( 30 -21). Rene had 5 more steals (league leading), was a real disrupter. Rene had 15 points, 3-6 from 3 pt. Fowles with 24 points and 13 rebounds in her first time against former team.

Here's a UConn like stat: Lynx had 27 assists on 36 made shots! Lynx 20-23 on free throws.

EDD with 28 points in 30 minutes. But Sky is not a 3 pt shooting team, going 1 for 7, vs. Lynx going 5 for 15.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Bad news (as a Sky fan) - defense still needs a ton of work; got walloped by the defending champs
Good news - EDD scored 28; not every game is against the Lynx, who are almost absurdly stacked. Whalen-Augustus-Moore-Brunson-Fowles is an amazing starting 5 and that still leaves them Montgomery, Howard, McCarville, and Perkins off the bench. :eek:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice game by Fowles. Nice seeing Renee do well - not only 15 points, but 5 steals and 3 assists and only 1 TO. Excellent games by EDD and Maya too - and also nice seeing Cappie with really solid offense.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Add Fowles to the MVP conversation. Minnesota is doing a great job of getting the big girl involved in the offense and she is killing it on the boards. If Minny uses Fowles like that the entire season she may back up her finals MVP award with a regular season MVP award. Great example off how a dominant center should be used.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Nice game by Fowles. Nice seeing Renee do well - not only 15 points, but 5 steals and 3 assists and only 1 TO. Excellent games by EDD and Maya too - and also nice seeing Cappie with really solid offense.
My apologies for not spelling Renee's name correctly. And thanks for not pointing it out. (BTW, I know someone named Rene, so I am easily confused.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - and another example of how the committee isn't that stupid in selecting players for the NT - a number of comments on how the NT could do without Fowles who wasn't that good having been made. She is really benefiting from starting the year with the team and being completely integrated into it, rather than joining mid-season.

Alum69 - the committee spends a fair amount of time reviewing the overseas performances, so much of their evaluation dates to this past winter as well as the last WNBA season and the various training camps.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya, Sylvia, and Renee have had a good couple of games. Brunson has only 2 points on the season, though.

FOUR Olympians on one team--yes, they are loaded.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maya, Sylvia, and Renee have had a good couple of games. Brunson has only 2 points on the season, though.

FOUR Olympians on one team--yes, they are loaded.
Anyone do the math and figure out how many Olympians are on each team? I can't imagine anyone having more than Minny.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Alum69 - the committee spends a fair amount of time reviewing the overseas performances, so much of their evaluation dates to this past winter as well as the last WNBA season and the various training camps.
Thanks for the info. Didn't Sue Bird and Lindsey Whalen take this past winter off?

If I remember correctly, in 2012, the Olympic Team played the remaining WNBA All Stars as a replacement for the All Star game. If they do that again, it might prove to be an interesting game. Of course, the Olympic team would have a big advantage, having played together, and the All Stars might not want to embarrass them, but it still might prove to be interesting. And an audition for 2020.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Anyone do the math and figure out how many Olympians are on each team? I can't imagine anyone having more than Minny.

Minnesota, 4 - Augustus, Fowles, Moore, Whalen
Phoenix, 2 - Griner, Taurasi
Seattle, 2 - Bird, Stewart
Atlanta, 1 - McCoughtry
Chicago, 1 - Delle Donne
Indiana, 1 - Catchings
New York, 1 - Charles

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
ETT - and another example of how the committee isn't that stupid in selecting players for the NT - a number of comments on how the NT could do without Fowles who wasn't that good having been made. She is really benefiting from starting the year with the team and being completely integrated into it, rather than joining mid-season.

She also won finals MVP last year, so there's no excuse for the ignorance (imo) of those people.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I agree. I was amazed that anyone could doubt Fowles presence on the NT. She is big and athletic and is playing with the maturity of a seasoned veteran. I think that most will agree that it takes post players, especially centers, longer to learn to play the game with full efficiency and Fowles really seems to be hitting her stride. I love watching her play, even if it means that she is schooling BG.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She also won finals MVP last year, so there's no excuse for the ignorance (imo) of those people.

I agree. She put on quite a performance in the playoffs last year so how anyone could have questioned her selection to the NT is beyond me. I haven't seen Cambage for a while so it is hard for me to judge, but Syl looks like the best center playing the game at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom