Lynx @ Sparks - 9/29/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lynx @ Sparks - 9/29/17

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LA is just too young and athletic. And yes, their defense is all that. I wasn't sure after watching their series with Phoenix, but they've made a believer out of me. They're disrupting the guard play of the Lynx almost to the point of shut down, much the way Mississippi State did to UConn in the Final Four.

With LA up 2-1. Who do you like Sunday?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
LA is just too young and athletic. And yes, their defense is all that. I wasn't sure after watching their series with Phoenix, but they've made a believer out of me. They're disrupting the guard play of the Lynx almost to the point of shut down, much the way Mississippi State did to UConn in the Final Four.

Especially when Beard gets away with mugging the other team's best player all over the court. Happens game in and game out.

Reaction Score
The difference between Stevie, EDD, and Parker is that Parker is a terrific passer. I thought I heard the announcers say that she leads the team in assists.
Stewie is the only player in NCAA history with over 400 blocks and over 400 assist in her career! The difference between Stewie and Parker are the players on their team. It took Candace 9 years to win a title. This was Stewies 2nd year and she already is one of the best in the league.

Reaction Score
Stewie is the only player in NCAA history with over 400 blocks and over 400 assist in her career! The difference between Stewie and Parker are the players on their team. It took Candace 9 years to win a title. This was Stewies 2nd year and she already is one of the best in the league.

Ms Parker was MVP and Rookie of the Year in the same season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

College stats aside....Candace is a significantly better passer than Stewart is. She facilitates the LA offense and consistently delivers the ball in a great spot for her teammates to score. She's one of the best passers in the WNBA. She's #9 this year in the league in APG, was #3 last year, was #1 the 2015 and #5 in 2014.

Parker has talented teammates but she is a major reason why her teammates are playing so well. Gray/Sims/Ogwumike have all developed into much better players since playing alongside Candace. LA is one now one win away from back to back titles.

Seattle is the only team in the league with 3 number 1 picks on their team and they barely made the playoffs this year.

Reaction Score

I think Sunday's game will be more competitive along the lines of games 1 and 2, as some of the Lynx vets, who either did not play well or got into foul trouble, will respond. But I have to give the edge to the Sparx, if for no other reason that they're playing at home. In my mind, the turning point for the entire series was the last-second bucket in game 1 that not only gave the Sparx that game, but also home-court advantage for the rest of the series.

Reaction Score
Gotta surround Maya with young talent. That's what you do when you have the GOAT. You can't keep these old player's around out of sympathy.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid the Sparks will win on Sunday. The officiating is magnifying the home court advantage. L A is getting away with mugging the Lynx on defense. For example: Parker's third "block". Yes she blocked the ball, after she sent Smith flying with a body block. Should have gotten credit for two blocks.
Is it my imagination, or does Fowles bring the ball down, and usually try to dribble, every time she touches the ball? And too frequently loses it.

Reaction Score
College stats aside....Candace is a significantly better passer than Stewart is. She facilitates the LA offense and consistently delivers the ball in a great spot for her teammates to score. She's one of the best passers in the WNBA. She's #9 this year in the league in APG, was #3 last year, was #1 the 2015 and #5 in 2014.

That is the main difference. Stewart is a great passer for a post or wing, but Parker is better than the majority of the PG's in the league. This allows the Sparks to often have 3 PG in the game at once.

Reaction Score
Gotta surround Maya with young talent. That's what you do when you have the GOAT. You can't keep these old player's around out of sympathy.

A perennial contender like Minnesota is not going to be able to get top picks in the draft, but agree that they have to reload. Augustus is still a very good ballplayer. Whalen has never been among my favorites so my opinion is not objective. Still, she has been around a while.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A perennial contender like Minnesota is not going to be able to get top picks in the draft, but agree that they have to reload. Augustus is still a very good ballplayer. Whalen has never been among my favorites so my opinion is not objective. Still, she has been around a while.

You're right. When you play in the championship round every year, you draft 11th or 12th. All of the best first round players are usually gone by then. The Lynx are one of the hardest rosters for a drafted, or undrafted invitee to make. Renee Montgomery was drafted 4th overall by the Lynx in 2009. Swanier and Houston were drafted by the Lynx in 2008. The Lynx were horrible the season before Maya got there in the 2011 draft. The Lynx took Maya with the first pick that year. History proves they made a very wise choice.

2011 WNBA First Round selections -

1. Minnesota Lynx: Maya Moore (Connecticut)
2. Tulsa Shock: Elizabeth Cambage (Australia)
3. Chicago Sky: Courtney Vandersloot (Gonzaga)
4. Minnesota Lynx (from Connecticut Sun): Amber Harris (Xavier)
5. Los Angeles Sparks: Jantel Lavender (Ohio State)
6. San Antonio Silver Stars: Danielle Robinson (Oklahoma)
7. Tulsa Shock (from Phoenix Mercury): Kayla Pedersen (Stanford)
8. Atlanta Dream*: Ta’Shia Phillips (Xavier)
9. Indiana Fever: Jeanette Pohlen (Stanford)
10. New York Liberty: Alex Montgomery (Georgia Tech)
11. Washington Mystics: Victoria Dunlap (Kentucky)
12. Seattle Storm: Jasmine Thomas (Duke)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I sure did. Ha. Although Prince is an above average defender and is the back up to Alana on Maya.

There is no Prince on the Sparks. There's one on the Liberty and one in Phoenix.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Parker has talented teammates but she is a major reason why her teammates are playing so well. Gray/Sims/Ogwumike have all developed into much better players since playing alongside Candace. LA is one now one win away from back to back titles.

And I would argue that being around the likes of Nneka, Beard, and Carson — three consummate "effort" players who never take a possession off — has made Candace a better player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And I would argue that being around the likes of Nneka, Beard, and Carson — three consummate "effort" players who never take a possession off — has made Candace a better player.
There was never any question about Candace's talent. There were times when her effort seemed to be lacking or she seemed to be playing something other than team ball. She's very dangerous when she's focused and motivated. I give Brian Agler a fair amount of credit. He has L.A. playing hard and playing defense.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
They've had an outstanding core of Brunson, Moore, Augustus and Whalen for 7 years now...they haven't needed to obtain new talent since they've consistently been the best or 2nd best team in the league every year. Plus they added in Fowles who was the league MVP this year.

There's been zero shortage of talent on Minnesota. Sure they very well could lose to LA, but with 4 Olympians and Brunson they aren't losing due to lack of talent.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

They've definitely helped each other out no question. My point is that Parker doesn't get nearly enough credit for making her teammates better and elevating their play compared to the credit most UCONN stars get. Most of her teammates have had career years playing alongside her. She has been the centerpiece of the Sparks franchise and is one win away from back to back titles and being one of just 3 players in league history to be a 2x Finals MVP and 2x regular season MVP. No question she makes her teammates significantly better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My point is that Parker doesn't get nearly enough credit for making her teammates better and elevating their play compared to the credit most UCONN stars get.
This is UConn women basketball board. I am pretty sure both you and Parker will get lots of credits in LV message board.

Carnac

Reaction Score
They've had an outstanding core of Brunson, Moore, Augustus and Whalen for 7 years now...they haven't needed to obtain new talent since they've consistently been the best or 2nd best team in the league every year. Plus they added in Fowles who was the league MVP this year.

There's been zero shortage of talent on Minnesota. Sure they very well could lose to LA, but with 4 Olympians and Brunson they aren't losing due to lack of talent.

Agreed. The Lynx are very talented, and remain one of the best two teams in the league. The thing is, so are the Sparks. The Sparks know it, and are not afraid of them. The Sparks know they can beat the Lynx. I hope Agler reaches down to the bottom of his "Bag of Tricks" and pulls out something special for the game Sunday. The Lynx are leaning back on their heels, and can't quite figure out how to regain control of the series.

Maya can't pull a disappearing act tomorrow like she did Friday in the first half. Whalen and Augustus need to play their best game of the season, because Fowls and Moore can't do it alone. Minny can't come out "ice cold" as they did Friday. Another 8 point quarter Sunday will seal their doom.

If the Sparks can come out and play hard, fast and loose again Sunday, they can win it. If they can't, and it goes back to Minnesota. I think the Lynx will win it. L.A. DOES NOT want to go to Minnesota for a game 5. They can end the season on a positive note, in front of their fans, raise and take photos with the trophy, drink champagne and toast each other far into the night.

The Lynx will return to Minnesota after the game. The question is...................will they be dragging a sullen and disappointed Sparks team back there with them? :rolleyes: We shall see. Right now, if this were a poker game, the Sparks appear to be holding all the aces.

Last edited by a moderator:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Is this the same Candace Parker, rudely castigated on this board and surely by the Olympic authorities (possibly including our beloved coach)?

No, not possible...I remember the comments, no hustle, not a team player, inadequate on D, selfish....

Can't be the same person.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They've definitely helped each other out no question. My point is that Parker doesn't get nearly enough credit for making her teammates better and elevating their play compared to the credit most UCONN stars get. Most of her teammates have had career years playing alongside her. She has been the centerpiece of the Sparks franchise and is one win away from back to back titles and being one of just 3 players in league history to be a 2x Finals MVP and 2x regular season MVP. No question she makes her teammates significantly better.

I don't doubt that they have all made each other better, and most of all the Sparks have benefited from last year's coaching change.

However, I would argue that the Sparks didn't become a great team until Candace stopped being *the* centerpiece. Nneka's MVP year last year changed that dynamic in decisive fashion.

Reaction Score
Whalen is hit and miss versus LA (and so is Augustus). Montgomery has a very good history of playing well versus LA so I think Cheryl is more comfortable with Renee versus LA if Whalen starts out poorly or not aggressive enough.

LA has possibly 4 of the top 10 defensive guards in the league. Carson, Beard, Sims and Prince are all outstanding defenders.

Gray has really shined on defense in this series. Look how she took the ball away from Augustus in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score

Minny will win Sunday.

Wait...I was thinking that the next game will be in Minny...

Ruh Roh!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was never any question about Candace's talent. There were times when her effort seemed to be lacking or she seemed to be playing something other than team ball. She's very dangerous when she's focused and motivated. I give Brian Agler a fair amount of credit. He has L.A. playing hard and playing defense.

Agler is the difference in this team. Of course having Magic as the owner (and if you don't think he's assisting Agler then...) adds to the mix.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom