Lynx @ Sparks - 8/27/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lynx @ Sparks - 8/27/17

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm not looking for agreement. Maya can in no way defend Nneka. She'd be giving up 3 inches. Obviously, I read your post, because you mentioned Connecticut as being a team with a small line up and I mentioned Ayssa Thomas as the player she'd be trying to defend and stop from rebounding.

College has nothing to do with the pros. These players we are discussing are far removed from those college playing days. Nneka's game has grown leaps and bounds since those days. She knows where her advantage is and she uses her tools to dominate on the blocks, even against bigger players with her much improved foot work.

Maya is just over 6' and both Nneka and Thomas are 6-2. Maya has played the 4 for the Lynx before and has looked great doing it. She can rebound and score in the lane. She can score from the perimeter and take bigger defenders off the dribble. The reason she doesn't play the 4 more often is because of Brunson and because the Lynx don't have anyone to fill in at the wing.

You look at the game from the Tennessee perspective. The game has changed.

Reaction Score
The reason she doesn't play the 4 more often is because of Brunson and because the Lynx don't have anyone to fill in at the wing.

They've been using Howard and Augustus.

Brunson has been out for several games with a sprained ankle. Pierson has been starting in her place. Howard is competent at both the 4 and the 3.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They've been using Howard and Augustus.

Brunson has been out for several games with a sprained ankle. Pierson has been starting in her place. Howard is competent at both the 4 and the 3.

Howard is barely competent at the 4 and nothing close to competent at the 3. She's made 4 three-pointers in her WNBA career.

What I'm suggesting is a moot point because of the current make-up of the Lynx. They need Maya at the wing to space the floor because there is no other player who can do that effectively. The Lynx can only hope that Whalen comes back and the playoffs are half-court, grind-it-out games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm not looking for agreement. Maya can in no way defend Nneka. She'd be giving up 3 inches. Obviously, I read your post, because you mentioned Connecticut as being a team with a small line up and I mentioned Ayssa Thomas as the player she'd be trying to defend and stop from rebounding.

College has nothing to do with the pros. These players we are discussing are far removed from those college playing days. Nneka's game has grown leaps and bounds since those days. She knows where her advantage is and she uses her tools to dominate on the blocks, even against bigger players with her much improved foot work.

Nneka only has an inch on Maya. Nneka is a tough draw because she's incredibly strong and physical but also leaps well and is immensely quick with great hands and touch around the basket. In college, probably 80% of her points were on layups and I was always dumbfounded how teams didn't find a way to slow her down when she isn't very tall nor had a varied offensive skill set, but she was always able to get great position and wide open looks.

Nneka would be a bad matchup for Maya, ...I think Maya would actually match up better defending Parker since Candace isn't as physical and is more perimeter oriented. Maya rebounds well and would do fine offensively. There are not a ton of teams that boast a frontcourt like Nneka/Parker, so against most teams the Lynx would be fine playing small ball with Maya at the 4. They also have Fowles inside who can help mitigate and size issues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom