Lynx @ Sparks - 10/01/17 | The Boneyard

Lynx @ Sparks - 10/01/17

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Two bad teams. Right now, Lynx are less bad.

Reaction Score
Before anyone comments about missed foul. I think both teams try to sell calls so much, that when actual physical fouls happen it's hard to dispute them from players selling the call. There are a ton of fouls too on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
At least we get a game 5. The Lynx can win it at home if they get their together.
How many times can Candace and Nneka flash through the lane for easy uncontested layups.

If LA hit 30% more of their open shots they would have won the game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Fowles and Brunson were beasts on the boards, combining for 27 rebounds.

The Sparks took 22 three-pointers and made 5 and Sims made 4 of the 5. Rough shooting night for Gray who I think put up 3 air-balls.

Still too many turnovers by the Lynx.

Wednesday night should be a bloodbath.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At least we get a game 5. The Lynx can win it at home if they get their together.
How many times can Candace and Nneka flash through the lane for easy uncontested layups.

Some days you're on, some you're not. It's called biorhythms. Some days the basket looks like a hula hoop. Some days it looks like a cheerio. Anyway, this is what the Lynx fans wanted, a game 5 back in Minny for the championship. L.A. is going to have to do it the hard way, on the road in front of a hostile crowd cheering every Lynx basket, and every LA foul. L.A. should have closed them out tonight. I really didn't think the Lynx were going out like that. It's hard to rattle a veteran team because they've been around the block too many times for that. The Lynx are in the championship round every year. They know what they have to do to win.
In our heart of hearts, we kinda knew it was going to go five. Good luck to both teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If LA is going to win, it will be a team effort. The rest of the team must show up and contribute, otherwise it will be a l-o-n-g plane ride back to LA. The champagne was cooling in the Sparks' locker room on ice. All they had to do was take care of business, protect their home floor, then they could have celebrated with their fans, then retreated to the locker room to do some weight lifting (liquid refreshments), and continue celebrating. Instead, its repack the bubbly, we're off to Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Geez Louise! Hit your free throws and layups, and this thing wouldn't be close. How can pro players mess up so many gimmies?

Even professionals aren't immune to the pressure of the game.

Reaction Score
The refs have allowed a vicious brand of BB through their incompetence and the players are lucky no-one has been hurt seriously so far! If MN can play as they've played in games 2 and 4 from the start they can pull it out.
I cannot stand to watch LA play BB, ugh!
I am NOT an LA fan at all! I guess I'm a New Yorker/North East guy thru & thru not an LA type.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The refs have allowed a vicious brand of BB through their incompetence and the players are lucky no-one has been hurt seriously so far! If MN can play as they've played in games 2 and 4 from the start they can pull it out.
I cannot stand to watch LA play BB, ugh! I am NOT an LA fan at all! I guess I'm a New Yorker/North East guy thru & thru not an LA type.
Dude - I LIVE in LA and I can't stand the Sparks. There are individual players on their team I really like, but as a whole, wouldn't be at all sad if they never won another game...

Reaction Score
The refs have allowed a vicious brand of BB

No. They're "letting them play." Isn't that what people want?

ThisJustIn- - -It's NOT "letting them play" it's a mugging, not necessary in a game of BB!
I like aggressive BB but it's like when DT was at UCONN and by season's end she had purple bruises all over her arms and body!
Not the way to play the game IMHO! It's been LA's signature style of play for as long as I can remember! Mn does it sometimes in retaliation but it's LA's style of play! There's a big difference!

Reaction Score
Dude - I LIVE in LA and I can't stand the Sparks. There are individual players on their team I really like, but as a whole, wouldn't be at all sad if they never won another game...

EricLA- - - I agree! I like Nneka but the rest, not so much!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Much as I try to be objective, I sometimes fail when it comes to Ms. Parker. Her pouting, constant yapping and whining make me want to yell rude things at the TV. She is the best player in WBB...when she choses to be. She's just too much of a diva as I see it.

Maybe I am mis-remembering, but I can't recall a WNBA final that featured such atrocious shot selections (both teams) and poor decision making. Whalen needs to stop burning up the shot clock with pointless dribbling.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Much as I try to be objective, I sometimes fail when it comes to Ms. Parker. Her pouting, constant yapping and whining make me want to yell rude things at the TV. She is the best player in WBB...when she choses to be. She's just too much of a diva as I see it.

Maybe I am mis-remembering, but I can't recall a WNBA final that featured such atrocious shot selections (both teams) and poor decision making. Whalen needs to stop burning up the shot clock with pointless dribbling.
I'd say it differently:

"Her pouting, constant yapping and whining make me want to yell rude things at the TV. She is one of the best players in WBB...when she choses to be. She's just too much of a diva as I see it."

There are 2 things that I haven't liked about Candace: (1) her prima donna personality and (2) her inconsistent play that, at times, reflected lack of effort. She didn't always play smart or hard. To use Geno's terminology, she was allowed to cheat her talent. Since Brian Agler arrived in L.A., that has not been much of a problem. Yes, she's really good--when she wants to be. She is now a WNBA champion, but her team didn't make the WNBA finals in any of her first 8 seasons. As Geno said after the Gold Medal game in London in 2012 (this is an approximate quote), "Candace can be really good when she wants to be. I'm glad she wanted to be today."

Reaction Score
Whalen needs to stop burning up the shot clock with pointless dribbling.

Of course, there are times when burning up the shot clock is appropriate, as in this game being up near the end of the game.

Reaction Score
IMO the best thing about the WNBA season is when it's over and ESPN et al switch their focus to wcbb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom