Lynx-Dream Predictions! | The Boneyard

Lynx-Dream Predictions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Lynx will shatter the championship dream of the Dream in a clean sweep:
1. There are only three multiple Wade Trophy winners, two of whom are active, both of whom play for Minnesota.
2. As mentioned above, when Minnesota takes the floor, they are displaying the talents of 5 Wade Trophies.
3. Minnesota can score, defend, rebound, and create chaos.
4. Minnesota has the best player, has better secondary players, and has dominant role players.
5. Minnesota has a better than adequate bench.
6. Minnesota matches up very well against Atlanta.
7. If Minnesota has an exploitable weakness, it will be the defensive matchup of Lindsay Whalen vs Lindsey Harding.
8. Lindsay Whalen does not have to play well for Minnesota to win.
9. Even if Minnesota does not sweep the series, a five game series decreases the chances of underdog theft.
10. Minnesota has Charde, and Atlanta doesn't.

Reaction Score
I diagree that Minny has the best player. I think Angel will be the best player in this series. That is no disrespect to Seimone or Maya, it's just the facts. I think Atlanta can bang with them down low and they have experience. I still think Minnesota will win.

Reaction Score
I think it will go four games with the Lynx winning. Maya is going to have a great series!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's going to be very interesting. A lot will depend on how Reeve & Co draw up a defensive game plan to contain Angel's penetration. Angel will take a lot of shots, but what kills teams is how she barrels into the lane, draws fouls, and goes to the line again and again. The second thing they have to watch, as always, is defending the 3. Izzy has been unconscious from outside lately, and in a close game a hot player from beyond the arc can make the difference. Obviously it's not all Angel and Izzy, but I those two are the keys.

If Minnesota can defend reasonably well and stay out of foul trouble, I don't think Atlanta will able to keep up with them. However, the fact that Atlanta was right there in close games in last year's finals will mean they have a little extra hunger, and more experience as a team in the finals atmosphere.

I think Minnesota should win in 4 , but it could go 5.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Minny in 4. I love to watch them play. I think Maya is really finding her game and that the chemistry is very strong. Simone A. is just amazing; those clean drainers are beautiful to behold.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Atlanta has tbe single best player (Angel), but i think Minny has the better team. the Lynx in 4...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Minny in 4. I love to watch them play. I think Maya is really finding her game and that the chemistry is very strong. Simone A. is just amazing; those clean drainers are beautiful to behold.

Seimone has the best running floater in the game ...

Reaction Score
Atlanta has tbe single best player (Angel), but i think Minny has the better team. the Lynx in 4...
``
I don't think so, Eric. Maybe early in the season she was ahead of Maya, but no more...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
``
I don't think so, Eric. Maybe early in the season she was ahead of Maya, but no more...
i don't even think Maya is the best player on her own team, never mind better than Angel. Maya will probably be there some day but she's certainly not there yet. i fully realize people like to talk about Maya's defense and the intangibles she brings, which is certainly true. and one of the components of being the best is being able to score at will or take over a game. Angel can do it, Siemone can do it, but at this point in her career, IMHO Maya can not...

Reaction Score
i don't even think Maya is the best player on her own team, never mind better than Angel. Maya will probably be there some day but she's certainly not there yet. i fully realize people like to talk about Maya's defense and the intangibles she brings, which is certainly true. and one of the components of being the best is being able to score at will or take over a game. Angel can do it, Siemone can do it, but at this point in her career, IMHO Maya can not...

So, Eric, if you were starting a WNBA team in San Diego, you'd choose Angel over Maya?? Agree about Siemone, she's great. Guess I'm just not drinking the Angel koolaid...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So, Eric, if you were starting a WNBA team in San Diego, you'd choose Angel over Maya?? Agree about Siemone, she's great. Guess I'm just not drinking the Angel koolaid...
Well firstly, if i were starting a team here in San Diego, I'd have to be completely loaded, and i'm not referring to potato skins or drinking!

but to answer your question, in a word, No. if you are building a team for the future, Maya's got the potential to be really really great, AND she has a much better attitude (which includes on court demeanor, work ethic etc). but as of right now, she's not quite as good as Siemone or Angel, at least IMHO. Angel does have an attitude problem, as does Diana, but it doesn't take away from the fact that both are fabulous players. it just makes you say "they are great players but...":)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
tough one to decide but I want Charde's team to win

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Atlanta Dream!! I love Izzy, Courtney, Sancho, & Erika...and sometimes Angel! :p

Reaction Score
Game One is in the books. When making my earlier prediction of a Minnesota sweep, I did not expect any close contests based on Minnesota's strengths. Minnesota is who I thought they would be, but Atlanta is much better than previoulsy opined. Izzy should bounce back, and the remaining games should be even more entertaining. Atlanta was also dominantly manhandled inside. De Souza's return will offset that advantage. Atlanta should like their chances. Still, Maya's return to the offense will be enough for Minnesota to emerge victorious in Game 2.

Question: Someone more familiar with Stanford. What kind of player was Candace Wiggins? Strengths, weaknesses, defense, leadership? Yet another daughter of a professional athlete

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Others will have seen C Wiggins more during college - I only remember the Final Four game in 2008, and even that is a little hazy :p

I remember she was cat quick, very dynamic, and a handful to guard. Energizer bunny, just like now. With the Lynx, she mostly tries to score from 3, but in that FF game I seem to remember a more balanced attack including pull-ups. She could go by almost anybody. More size than Renee (I think Wiggins is 5'10") too. These days she's not as likely as Renee to go all the way to the rim; can't remember how many times she drove all the way in that FF game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nah I remember her for knocking down 2 three's in a row on blown assignments by Maya... then they stuck Lorin on her and got a quick 3pt (or 4pt) play

Reaction Score
Obviously, the Atlanta Dream will be a different team with Erika de Souza back in the lineup. but, will they be a better team? Will they match up better?

My feeling is that the Dream will match up much better with de Souza on the floor. The players can return to their more natural positions, Sancho Lyttle can get back into her comfort zone, Angel can return to defending players against whom she owns a physical advanytage, etc. However, having played three games without de Souza, the Dream, has developed a nice, maybe even better chemistry that will be disrupted. There is not enough time, right now, to reincorporate and redevelop the avec de Souza formula for beating a team like Minnesota.

Minnesota won Game 1 on a limited diet of Maya Moore free throws and a highlight reel reverse. Maya Moore will bulk up on threes and a heftier FG percentage in Game 2. Minnesota should also have an answer for Lindsey Harding, who is unlikely to go for 20 again tonight. A couple of Candace Wiggins rainbows will find gold, and the ageless Taj McWilliams-Franklin will have had three days to deposit that bad meal with the City of Minneapolis.

Game 2: I like Minnesota in a closer game that might not be decided after 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Will the series end tomorrow night in Atlanta?
Will Maya have the breakout game in front of her hometown fans?
Will Philips Arena be sold out?

I expect another tight 40 minute with the Lynx taking home the trophy.
Maya will play exceptionally well.
Phillips Arena will not quite fill to capacity, but will be loud and raucus.

Atlanta was tough inside last night. They will have a chance to win the game if Lindsey Harding stays involved on the offensive end.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll go way out on a limb: Maya Moore will win a championship. It is simply what she does.

Reaction Score
Now what? The college basketball season starts in a month. For me, this is not as highly anticipated a season as the previous four.

Baylor has not yet posted tickets for the UConn game. I just hope that game is close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom