Luther (Amazon Prime - and BBC) | The Boneyard

Luther (Amazon Prime - and BBC)

Reaction Score
Starring Idris Elba - a great detective show - set in London.

Not traditional seasons - season 4 was only 2 episodes - but they pick a storyline - and it takes as long as it takes to tell it - which is nice.

Ruth Wilson (from the Affair) - does an amazing job in this show also. If you are a prime member - it is free to watch seasons 1-4. Highly recommend.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just watched the movie, and it was very good. Now onto the series.
Question on whether that works or you should watch the series first? I want to watch both.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Question on whether that works or you should watch the series first? I want to watch both.

Funny thing is I tried the series a couple times and just couldn't get hooked into more than a couple episodes.

Having watched the movie and really liking it, following the series is much easier. I had a hard time liking the lead character when I first watched the series.

The cop shows I like most have a lead character who cares more about catching the bad guy than following rules/laws. Most shows make it easy to root for this type of lead character. For me this wasn't so with Luther the series, but the movie got the job done.

Watch the movie first.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I liked the Luther character, but I can't say the movie was good. It mostly held together in the first half, but went off the rails in the second half due to ridiculous situations and very poor continuity.

At times it felt like there was a genie involved... boom! Luther is in prison without an investigation or trial... boom! they get from London to Norway on a non-existant ferry that would've taken a couple of days journey... boom! the helicopter shows up (still in the air) as Luther passes out, yet lands, has a squad of divers already dressed, and manages to find the exact hole in the ice where Luther is drowning, yet manages to extricate him in time. Bonus garbage points for reviving him yet never removing the sopping wet ice cold clothing. Double bonus garbage points for no breath vapor being shown in freezing temps, or for characters to show much if any discomfort walking 1.5 miles in deep snow while wearing street shoes and non-winter wear. It all was just too much ridiculousness for me to truly enjoy the 2nd half of this film.

That said, I understand the movie was basically a prequel and I did like the Luther character, so I might give the series a shot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok, watched the movie last night. Had to so I could read @storrsroars spoilers. I liked it a lot. He's an interesting character. One part Jack Bauer, one part the guys from Mindhunter. Andy Serkis is good as the serial killer and really is among the most cruel I've seen portrayed.

My only criticisms are lighter versions of the above. Mostly that they didn't clarify whether he was set up by the villain or was truly guilty. Maybe that was intentional. I don't mind that they skipped the portrayal of all that as it wasn't important except that detail.

Reaction Score
I was a big fan of the series back in the day.. The problem is, I'm not sure what I've seen and what I haven't. I think there were 2 new(er) movies? Was there another season? The seasons were only like 4 episodes anyway.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I thought the movie was laughably bad, tbh. Predictable, hammy, etc.

And I watched it because I was a fan of the series.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I liked the Luther character, but I can't say the movie was good. It mostly held together in the first half, but went off the rails in the second half due to ridiculous situations and very poor continuity.

That said, I understand the movie was basically a prequel and I did like the Luther character, so I might give the series a shot.

Dude, I can't count the times I've fallen through ice and then walked a mile, soaking wet, in below-freezing temperatures with just a small blanket draped over my shoulders. (When I could have been airlifted out at any point!) Wait, actually, it's zero.

I'll say if people liked the movie they'll like the series, which is exponentially better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom