Lurker Day | The Boneyard

Lurker Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Now that I'm gainfully employed full time, my free hours have been reduced and I've been unable to set aside time for Lurker Day. However, I will be taking staycation days in early August so that's probably a good time for Lurker Day.

Sometime in early August we're going to set aside a day so that only people with less than 75 posts can post for a period of time, usually 4 hours. That way the folks who feel too intimidated to post can have a stress free time to get their feet wet, so to speak. You other guys with 75 or more posts can't respond until the 4 hours is up. I'll be around to zap any "unauthorized" posts.

In the past, we've found that some lurkers that venture out on Lurker Day find that it's not so hard to express themselves or that their opinions won't be stomped on and ridiculed - some have told me they do worry about this - so they stick around. So, you more frequent posters, please don't post during the designated Lurker Day period and please show our shyer fellow fans that we aren't so bad after all.

All you lurkers, sign up for your handle and get ready for Lurker Day!

Let me know if you have any problems at huskynan@yahoo.com if you can't send me a private message.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Should do this on the men's side as well.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No child left behind......I just missed that 75 cut...I always thought it was going to be 100 posts. Oh well...

Reaction Score
I'd go with 100 or less. It really is silly when people point out the number of posts to question a person's credibility or whether they belong. It's just a message board. It's also laughably sad how some people use message boards to feel important. If it takes a message board to feel better about yourself, you have your priorities wrong.

Welcome lurkers and post away!

Just a suggestion, extend this to the whole message board. Except the Cesspool and non-sports areas. Leave them to ramble on.

PS: HuskyNan, can I be your second husband? You're too cool.

Reaction Score
Ok.....so.....if lurkers liked a post does that like count? Shouldn't you have to go back and check all likes by anyone with a 75 or under post count and take away those likes because they were liked by lurkers? Or.....if a lurker likes is she/he still a lurker? Could you add the like count to the post count and come up with a popular poster? Then they wouldn't be able to post on anti popular poster day .....oh excuse me......lurker day. If any of this is true you have your work cut out for you. Enjoy your staycation!

:confused:
:)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Then we come in and smite them all. Good plan, Nan.

Pirates, ye be warned...arrrrrrrrr

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I'd go with 100 or less. It really is silly when people point out the number of posts to question a person's credibility or whether they belong. It's just a message board. It's also laughably sad how some people use message boards to feel important. If it takes a message board to feel better about yourself, you have your priorities wrong.

Welcome lurkers and post away!

Just a suggestion, extend this to the whole message board. Except the Cesspool and non-sports areas. Leave them to ramble on.

PS: HuskyNan, can I be your second husband? You're too cool.

You just said what I've always wanted to say to some of the posters on this board. I've followed this board (and others) for years, preferring mostly to stay out of the discussions. I have occasionally posted when I felt that I could add something positive to the discussion but after my last posting experience here I decided that I wouldn't be doing that again. I posted something that I thought was humorous but apparently wasn't well received by some of the old veterans. I was called a "Newbie" and was admonished for having a "negative attitude". So now I just read and keep my opinions to myself. A wise man once said, "It is often better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt".

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Then we come in and smite them all...
I keep wanting to join your congregation.
- Yes, yes, I understand his reputation for being starkly honest.
- But still, I don't know, there's just something about his website that makes me hesitant:

Reverend Ice Ministries – Mission Statement:
"Old School VirtueCutting Edge Guidance"
god 1.jpg

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I say we keep it below 12,349 posts. :D

That might look like we were singling someone out. I propose we have a day where only those with under 10,000, a nice round number, can post. ;)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
You have seen anything until you see self-smiting.
I thought it was that you don't see anything after self-smiting -- I've heard it makes you go blind.

Reaction Score
I feel like a lurker these days. It's been really busy here -- finishing up my Master's Degree, among other things. But even in a quiet summer, when the season ends, I just don't find there is much to post about. I don't find speculation about recruits to be very useful, and the pro game doesn't interest me. So maybe I'll come in on Lurker Day just to say I did it, and then get back to posting semi-regularly in October or so.

Hope everyone's having a wonderful summer. And, of course, looking forward to a terrific 2013-14 season.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I thought it was that you don't see anything after self-smiting -- I've heard it makes you go blind.

Or become an actor, like Jimmy Smits.

As to the poster/lurker who felt jumped upon by others -- Because of the anonymous nature of message boards, developing trust/community is an intriguing -- and, occasionally, painful -- process. How does a reader decide if a poster is being "honest" or "troll-like"? How do you balance between folks who have an almost encyclopedic-al knowledge of stats and/or program history vs. someone who flies by the seat of their pants? What level of investment do you put into your posts? how do you handle personality clashes v. opinion clashes -- and can you separate the two?

When venturing in to the fray as a "newbie" (whatever that means) I always suggest an introduction and/or preamble. Hopefully you'd do the same in any other social situation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You get to post on the special day for people with over 5000 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom