Luke Winn's assessment of our team | The Boneyard

Luke Winn's assessment of our team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"​
UConn is a top-20 team that has yet to fully click post-Kemba Walker, although if it does, it has the pieces to get back to the Final Four."

I can't really disagree with his assessment.

In the middle of last year, I saw that season progressing like our 2002 season (young team carried by an over-the-top superstar), and projected that this year would be similar to 2003. "Unfortunately", we won the national championship and elevated those expectations well above where they would have been otherwise. The arrival of heralded freshmen helped that as well.

But I still think the comparison to 2003 is apt. We're a young team with guys still carving out their niche and learning the nuances. We have more talent than that 2003 squad, but the leadership questions still abound.

Like Winn says, I think we're a Sweet 16-caliber team at the moment, but with the ability to make major strides between now and March. Of course, if everyone comes back next year, watch out.

Reaction Score
"​
UConn is a top-20 team that has yet to fully click post-Kemba Walker, although if it does, it has the pieces to get back to the Final Four."

I can't really disagree with his assessment.

In the middle of last year, I saw that season progressing like our 2002 season (young team carried by an over-the-top superstar), and projected that this year would be similar to 2003. "Unfortunately", we won the national championship and elevated those expectations well above where they would have been otherwise. The arrival of heralded freshmen helped that as well.

But I still think the comparison to 2003 is apt. We're a young team with guys still carving out their niche and learning the nuances. We have more talent than that 2003 squad, but the leadership questions still abound.

Like Winn says, I think we're a Sweet 16-caliber team at the moment, but with the ability to make major strides between now and March. Of course, if everyone comes back next year, watch out.

nice font!

Reaction Score
Can't disagree with that. Coming into the season, I was thinking this team would be top five and just basically dominate people with their muscle up front, and the quickness on the perimeter, coupled with the great athletes at every position. Still could happen, but I think it would be wise to lower my expectations a little bit. They are still very, very young, and people forgot about that because of what they accomplished last year. Playing without Kemba as opposed to with him is a completely different story though. The training wheels are off for these young kids, and naturally, there are going to be a couple times where they fall off the bike and start to cry. That's what we saw last night.

Reaction Score
Yeah, sorry about the font. I copied the quote from SI.com with that font and the post kind of ran with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom