LSU vs UConn - How they Match UP - If Healthy should you put your money on UConn? A Full Breakdown | The Boneyard

LSU vs UConn - How they Match UP - If Healthy should you put your money on UConn? A Full Breakdown

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I ran a search before I posted this. It came up negative. If I missed it, my apologies. I posted this for those that may have missed it on the world-wide-web. It's a slow week news-wise in WCBB, in UConn WBB in particular. So, here we go......If you think LSU is going away just because they won last season's national championship, think again.

Reaction Score
There is some value in a team knowing how to win when all the chips are on the line, and LSU has that as they proved last season, and UConn does not (yet).

Reaction Score
There is some value in a team knowing how to win when all the chips are on the line, and LSU has that as they proved last season, and UConn does not (yet).
Paige and Azzi (half season) were injured last season not sure you know this?

Reaction Score
UCONN! Virginia Tech had LSU on the ropes, and they let it slip away. Anyway
it's too early to say. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Their is NO team in WCBB that has the grit, fire, dedication and cohesiveness as Uconn and their unequal success in WCBB. No.12 !!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Good video — despite garbling so many names. In answer to the question: yes, bet UConn. The betting line (the betting public) has undervalued them.

I agree with the commentary that our back court will have the talent edge, and I personally think our front court will be stronger and more versatile on offense and defense. I note that as good as Angel is on most nights, she has tended to disappear against top level defenses, and that is exactly who we will be.

Also, I think the commentary misunderstands Caroline’s and Aubrey’s roles on the court. I don’t think LSU will have anyone who can cope with either one when they enter the game. Perhaps Ice Ayanna and Jana will be outplayed by Morrow Smith and del Rosario (I doubt this), but Aubrey and Caroline will simply pose an insoluble difficulty for them.

Most importantly, the huskies will be a cohesive unit — none of us doubts this — and LSU may or may not be able to achieve that. Kim may work some magic in this department, but there’s no guarantee. For example, if Angel and Anessah can simply complement each other’s game, they will be formidable. But there’s good reason to think they may not fit together well. I’d have a similar question about Flau’jae and Hailey Van Lith. Can one of them play the point, or will they need Poole to do that and then platoon those two?

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Their is NO team in WCBB that has the grit, fire, dedication and cohesiveness as Uconn and their unequal success in WCBB. No.12 !!! GO HUSKIES!!!
Coach Staley and Mulkey have each won two national championships since Geno's last one. Apparently there are other teams that have "the grit, fire, dedication and cohesiveness."

Carnac

Reaction Score
NEVER underestimate Geno, who to me is a much smarter and prominent coach than Kim Mulky. When Kim had the same problems that Geno had the last two year she lost half as many as she won. If Uconn stays healthy this year they will definitely be the Badass of their normally run away seasons and be the scourge of the BE. GO HUSKIES!!!
Absent injury, which in my opinion is the only thing that can retard UConn's potential, they should be able to play with anyone....including LSU. With all of the incoming portal players coming in along with the freshmen, I can't help but wonder if there might be any team chemistry challenges for the Tigers this season.

One has to wonder if having only one basketball on the court at a time will cause any frustration or anxiety for their players. :confused: Las Vegas has made the Tigers the favorites to repeat this year. THAT remains to be seen.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Coach Staley and Mulkey have each won two national championships since Geno's last one. Apparently there are other teams that have "the grit, fire, dedication and cohesiveness."
Correct. That is why all of UConn's players must understand that no team is going to roll over for them this season. Anything UConn wants, they'll have to take. Just because UConn will have all of their injured players back this year, it WILL NOT be a cakewalk. Every team on UConn's schedule wants to hang a UConn "coup"(American slang) on their belt. :confused:

Reaction Score
This can obviously be a good debate, but for me the main question marks are health for Uconn and fit for LSU. If everyone is healthy we can be truly great. LSU has a ton of talent but more questions regarding how certain newcomers will mesh with their returning players.

Hailey Van Lith and Morrow are great talents, but neither is stepping into an opening at their natural position. LSU needs Hailey to be a PG for the team to reach their ceiling. Presumably Williams will be the 2. Hailey could be a good SG or combo guard, but a pure point is stretching it for her. Maybe she can make the conversion, but it would be a big change for her.

As for Morrow, she is a 4, so is the best player on the team. Either Angel plays the 5 which she has never preferred, Morrow plays out of position at the 3, or she doesn't start and comes off the bench. I suspect Kim had to give Morrow a good chance at starting and is willing to try her at the 3, low 3 pt percentage shooting notwithstanding.

So both transfers may start but Hailey Van Lith is not as good at the 1 as the 2, and Morrow is not as good at the 3 as the 4. Team chemistry could be a question and the sum probably won't be as good as the parts.

If Paige, Azzi and Caroline are more healthy we should be terrific 1-4 with chemistry, talent and depth. Other than health the other concern is will anybody step up at the 5. One of the best signs we could see early in the season would be if both Ice and Jana look ready for prime time right away.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? There is NO team in WCBB that has the grit, fire, dedication and cohesiveness as Uconn and their unequal success in WCBB. No.12 !!! GO HUSKIES!!!
LSU, South Carolina (2) Stanford , Baylor and Norte Dame may beg to differ having won national championships more recently than UConn. I am pretty sure they showed all those attributes you mentioned. This year could be different, but to say no other team exhibits these attributes is a bit of a stretch. Yes, UConn has 11 NCs and those teams had those attributes ( and perhaps more) but it’s been a while since the last one.

Reaction Score
LSU will have to do what UConn does every year, get great players to sublimate their own success for team goals. Geno hunts players who do that while Mulkey has just signed the best players she could get.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The player no one mentions is rookie guard Williams. I am impressed every time I see her play.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's the over/under on the number of Tigers leaving the team between semesters?

Reaction Score
Good video — despite garbling so many names. In answer to the question: yes, bet UConn. The betting line (the betting public) has undervalued them.

I agree with the commentary that our back court will have the talent edge, and I personally think our front court will be stronger and more versatile on offense and defense. I note that as good as Angel is on most nights, she has tended to disappear against top level defenses, and that is exactly who we will be.

Also, I think the commentary misunderstands Caroline’s and Aubrey’s roles on the court. I don’t think LSU will have anyone who can cope with either one when they enter the game. Perhaps Ice Ayanna and Jana will be outplayed by Morrow Smith and del Rosario (I doubt this), but Aubrey and Caroline will simply pose an insoluble difficulty for them.

Most importantly, the huskies will be a cohesive unit — none of us doubts this — and LSU may or may not be able to achieve that. Kim may work some magic in this department, but there’s no guarantee. For example, if Angel and Anessah can simply complement each other’s game, they will be formidable. But there’s good reason to think they may not fit together well. I’d have a similar question about Flau’jae and Hailey Van Lith. Can one of them play the point, or will they need Poole to do that and then platoon those two?
This can obviously be a good debate, but for me the main question marks are health for Uconn and fit for LSU. If everyone is healthy we can be truly great. LSU has a ton of talent but more questions regarding how certain newcomers will mesh with their returning players.

Hailey Van Lith and Morrow are great talents, but neither is stepping into an opening at their natural position. LSU needs Hailey to be a PG for the team to reach their ceiling. Presumably Williams will be the 2. Hailey could be a good SG or combo guard, but a pure point is stretching it for her. Maybe she can make the conversion, but it would be a big change for her.

As for Morrow, she is a 4, so is the best player on the team. Either Angel plays the 5 which she has never preferred, Morrow plays out of position at the 3, or she doesn't start and comes off the bench. I suspect Kim had to give Morrow a good chance at starting and is willing to try her at the 3, low 3 pt percentage shooting notwithstanding.

So both transfers may start but Hailey Van Lith is not as good at the 1 as the 2, and Morrow is not as good at the 3 as the 4. Team chemistry could be a question and the sum probably won't be as good as the parts.

If Paige, Azzi and Caroline are more healthy we should be terrific 1-4 with chemistry, talent and depth. Other than health the other concern is will anybody step up at the 5. One of the best signs we could see early in the season would be if both Ice and Jana look ready for prime time right away.
I agree that LSU may have a chemistry challenge, but isn’t it reasonable to think the same of UConn with 4 players who have never played a minute , two players who averaged 10 and 8 minutes , and Paige, Azzi and Caroline who have barely played together at UConn? I am not saying that they can’t overcome any issues and my guess is that both UConn and LSU coaches will resolve any chemistry issues by mid way through the season, but I think there will be growing pains for both. One issue I can see for UConn is overpassing as the players are all so unselfish!

Reaction Score
True! But put Staley and Mulkey as the head coach of Uconn the last 3 years and theorize how they would do with the team and the team's OOC and league schedule. I;m not saying that they don't know how to coach ,I'm saying Geno made it to the Championship against SC with a diminished team and SC was at full strength. do you think Dawn Staley would have done the same if she was the coach of Uconn? Geno's lack of Championships is due to the whims of Fate and not his coaching. GO HUSKIES!!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Since UConn has been good, what teams besides Tennessee and UConn have won back-to-back?

SC was the heavy favorite to repeat, no dice. Stanford was supposed to be in the same class as SC, but could not beat us to repeat in what many say was a subpar performance for them.

The evidence suggests that, rather than an advantage, winning the year before serves as a handicap for most teams. There are some sound, logical explanations as to why that has been consistently so.

Reaction Score
I agree that LSU may have a chemistry challenge, but isn’t it reasonable to think the same of UConn with 4 players who have never played a minute , two players who averaged 10 and 8 minutes , and Paige, Azzi and Caroline who have barely played together at UConn? I am not saying that they can’t overcome any issues and my guess is that both UConn and LSU coaches will resolve any chemistry issues by mid way through the season, but I think there will be growing pains for both. One issue I can see for UConn is overpassing as the players are all so unselfish!
Good points. 4 new players don’t guarantee chemistry… for either team. The only real difference I see is that Geno recruits with chemistry in mind while Kim is fond of saying she isn’t afraid of “personalities.”

For Geno, chemistry means players willing to put defense first. He often speaks of HS players who think the road to success is paved with buckets and nothing else. This is why most of the LSU roster wouldn’t even have been recruited by Geno. Couldn’t those players have developed a commitment to playing D since high school? Yes, of course. Kim can work wonders. But did they? Was LSU a defensive power last season? I think we all know the answer to this is No.

Bear in mind we’re only talking about probabilities, not necessary truths. LSU could surprise us all. But I think we’ll all be surprised if UConn does not play as a cohesive squad with excellent chemistry.

sun

Reaction Score
If LSU experiences as many chemistry problems as folks want to surmise, then the chances are that they won't make it to the FF or become a #1 seed to ever meet UConn in the NCAAT.
That would mean that UConn fans should either be more concerned about other teams being obstacles to UConn NC #12, or less concerned about LSU having issues not directly related to their basketball talent.
If LSU has as many compatibility issues with their roster as being perceived, then UConn won't need to worry about beating them on the court, because LSU will end up beating themselves beforehand.
LSU is going to be tested within the SEC which should make them a stronger & more competitive team, unless they're going to end up being like Tennessee was last year losing a lot of games.
On the other hand, if they blow a lot of teams away then they won't have had many chemistry issues at all.
Or LSU could overcome any chemistry issues during the long season in order to become a successful & better team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMHO LSU last season had the good fortune of staying serious injury free and was a team that sensed everything was breaking their way!
Virginia Tech had them on the ropes in serious trouble and let LSU back in despite the odds!
LSU seemed like a team "destined" to win it all! Think the 1969 Mets, The NY Giants beating the undefeated Patriots, the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks beating the NY Yankees, the 1999 UCONN MBB besting huge favorite Duke 77-74, sometimes it's just your time to win it all!
I think LSU and SoCar have more questions to work out than UCONN does!
All UCONN has to worry about is staying healthy, (which is a huge issue I know), if they can Geno with the benefit of the European trip will have extra time to work his magic!
And finally I'll put Geno and staff well above any other WBB Division I program to get the job done!
I believe UCONN is owed an injury free season after the injury-ridden last two!

Reaction Score

True. But none of those four is expected to start or to play a vital role. UConn has three senior starters. They also have ten players that have played UConn minutes, including six who have started games for UConn. LSU will likely be starting Van Lith, Morrow and possibly freshman Williams.

Reaction Score
Absolutely.
But considering everything UConn has contended with since 2020, I submit that the present observation only notes the exception that proves the rule. In Geno I trust.

Reaction Score
True. But none of those four is expected to start or to play a vital role. UConn has three senior starters. They also have ten players that have played UConn minutes, including six who have started games for UConn. LSU will likely be starting Van Lith, Morrow and possibly freshman Williams.
I agree. Expanding on that point there is a huge difference regarding the importance of the newcomers. KK, Ashlynn and Q don't have pressure on them to produce right away "if" we are healthy. They could wind up getting mop up minutes even if they are looking pretty good. We could easily see a three guard rotation of Paige, Nika and Azzi at the 1 & 2. At the 3, Caroline and Aubrey could consume almost all the minutes there, and I expect Paige and Azzi to be there some too.

My point is when healthy we can be very good without having to use those newcomers at all. If they earn playing time in games against top competition great, that means they were a better choice than say Nika, Caroline or Aubrey, which means they were very good indeed.

At the 5 things are different, how much Ice and Jana can produce right away is very important. They do have pressure on them, and it is hard to see how the team's more optimistic projections can be achieved without at least one or both of those being productive rotation players. Even then do we have an option that is decent that avoids needing to use newcomers? Yes but Aaliyah starting at the 5 and Aubrey at the 4 is not what we should be hoping for, with Aaliyah now not at her best position and Aubrey suddenly unavailable to provide help on the wing.

KK, Ashlynn and Q are very talented prospects, but they are more injury backups or plan B for this year, unless they force their way into the lineup, which would be like a cherry on top of the sundae. Ice and Jana by necessity are part of plan A. We need them this year and they will both have a more open path to playing time.

I think they will be good, but so was Dorka. Expecting either to be as good in their first year as Dorka is a pretty high bar. We should be better at 1-4 than last year. If one of the two matches Dorka's productivity we can be as good there as well. If both Ice and Jana were at Dorka's level we could actually be better at the 5 because remember, Dorka did not have a quality backup. Other than health, their development is the most critical factor for the season IMO.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno likes to take a European preseason trip with the team when he brings in a big class, as he has this year. It will give the players more time and practices together. A don’t forget Jana El Alfy has been with the team since January.

I have to say, from the clips I’ve seen of KK Arnold and her outgoing nature, I can’t imagine she’s going to have any kind of chemistry issues. That’s pretty helpful with a point guard

Reaction Score
While I agree about all the comments about this being a team game, past NCAA winners typically have 1-2 hot, clutch players, individuals who refuse to lose. Think of Paige 2 seasons ago. Prior to Huskies getting ambushed by Arizonia, Paige willed UConn to several wins. Lou this past year was another example-numerous games where she played through injuries to score though contact, double teams, and depleted lineups. With several players capable of winning All American honors this coming year, I like UConn's chances.

Reaction Score
I’m just gonna take a moment to imagine how Ashlynn might contribute this year. We’ve all been assuming (perhaps rightly) that KK is the one who’ll get some important minutes. But Ashlynn is the little engine that could. She seems to be a bit like Inês — indomitable, fierce, and hungry — though perhaps with a better skills foundation and not quite as quick.

Players like these two are an asset even if they don’t crack the rotation because in practices they’ll pressure the others, nipping at their heels, making everyone better by fighting to get PT. They’re not just an insurance policy — though thank goodness for Inês in that Princeton game. They’re also the enforcers of a minimum (maximum!!) effort by the players whose minutes they could take.

We didn’t have anything like this in practice last season (and the season before for much of the time) and it hurt us. The old rumor that UConn practices were more grueling than the games wasn’t true because we could hardly hold practices. But this year, Geno will be able to run practice like a UConn team is supposed to, and Ashlynn and Inês (and KK and Q) will have a lot to do with it.

And who knows, maybe Amari will remold herself in the firey forge of full practices, which she hasn’t really experienced for a full season either.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If Ice and Jana are as good as I think they'll be, UConn should be the favorite by the end of the season. They could give UConn 40 quality minutes at the five, ten fouls against a Reese or Cardoso, although we all hope that isn't necessary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom