LSU Turnaround (or context is everything) | The Boneyard

LSU Turnaround (or context is everything)

Reaction Score
After LSU made the Final Four much was made about Kim turning around the program in two years, and how this type of turnaround has never occurred before. Which is true enough. But as impressive as the LSU turnaround is, and how quickly it occurred, it can't fairly be compared to what other coaches have been able to accomplish.

Consider, before the change in the transfer rules and the seismic shift that has occurred in the last few years in WCBB, the type of turnaround that Kim accomplished would have been essentially impossible. She would have inherited the players recruited by the former coach and would have had to bring in new players via the recruitment process. But as we know, that's not what Kim did. She essentially cleared the deck of the existing players (putting aside the issues about getting rid of the existing student athletes) and looked to the transfer portal to fill her roster. Just this past year she brought in five transfers. It's all within the rules, but without commentators noting the changes in the WCBB rules and landscape, the claim that this type of turnaround has never happened before misses the point. Of course it's never happened before, the old rules significantly handicapped this type of complete roster overhaul.

What's more, the failure to note how the rule changes allowed for Kim to make this type of rapid change has prevented the larger and, to my point of view, more interesting conversation about the dramatic impact on WCBB caused by these changes and what it means going forward. Will established coaches be able to make more demands on institutions since they can come into new jobs with players in tow? Who will benefit the most? Who will be placed at a disadvantage? It's neat to note that Kim has accomplished something unique (and I'm in no way dismissing what she has done), but we are missing the forest for the trees if we don't recognize what LSU's turnaround really represents.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
url.gif

Reaction Score
I’m not pulling for Kim, but all coaches have the same opportunity in today’s game to use the portal. KM used it like no one else and is playing in the championship game. Geno has used it too, but he is not in this game. Again, I’m pulling for Iowa as a spurned BU fan, but it is hard to detract from Kim’s passion and prowess in the game. She is playing by the rules, with no special privileges except her huge salary (like Geno). But pulling for Clark and Iowa to keep Kim from having titles at 2 different schools.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I’m not pulling for Kim, but all coaches have the same opportunity in today’s game to use the portal. KM used it like no one else and is playing in the championship game. Geno has used it too, but he is not in this game. Again, I’m pulling for Iowa as a spurned BU fan, but it is hard to detract from Kim’s passion and prowess in the game. She is playing by the rules, with no special privileges except her huge salary (like Geno). But pulling for Clark and Iowa to keep Kim from having titles at 2 different schools.
While not a fan of Mulkey, I thought she already had the second best track record of current coaches, and third best of all time, even before this tournament. She did it with three different types of squads while at Baylor, with the most impressive one being her first.

Yet trying to undermine the OP about the transfer portal with an inference of a level playing field, and referencing Auriemma as proof at her adeptness, is a clever manipulation of the issue. Auriemma used the portal just fine, as evidence by our starters Juhasz and Senechal. The portal is but one ingredient for success and our lack of it had nothing to do with inferior useof the transfer portal. I would think any knowledgeable fan understands that.

What you may not know is that Auriemma started his program recruitment with no name recognition from previous success, Mulkey has plenty. Auriemma took over a program that only had one previous winning season, LSU is tied for second in FF runs. He came into a conference that had never been considered in the upper echelon at the time, Mulkey has come into the SEC, historically considered one of the elite conferences. Auriemma had to start his building of UConn with players from the Northeast, never considered a hotbed of basketball talent. LSU not only is located in the talent rich south, she additionally has the transfer portal to extend her recruitment boundaries further, a potent tool for a famous coach in a previously successful school in a historically elite conference, which is precisely the point of the OP.

Honestly, what Mulkey did to get her first championship at Baylor was much more impressive, done with more of a handicap than she is working with at LSU. I would think a Baylor fan in particular would recognize that and, in doing so, side with the point the OP is making. Then again, maybe you had some other agenda in bringing in a comparison to Auriemma’s use of the portal.

Reaction Score
Consider, before the change in the transfer rules and the seismic shift that has occurred in the last few years in WCBB, the type of turnaround that Kim accomplished would have been essentially impossible. She would have inherited the players recruited by the former coach and would have had to bring in new players via the recruitment process. But as we know, that's not what Kim did. She essentially cleared the deck of the existing players (putting aside the issues about getting rid of the existing student athletes) and looked to the transfer portal to fill her roster. Just this past year she brought in five transfers. It's all within the rules, but without commentators noting the changes in the WCBB rules and landscape, the claim that this type of turnaround has never happened before misses the point. Of course it's never happened before, the old rules significantly handicapped this type of complete roster overhaul.
Well stated. A line should be drawn, with notations, under the last season played before the transfer portal became available because, as stated above, there is no comparison. This is now professional sports and teams can become the New York Yankees.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about Mulkey, Reese, Morris, etc. They play together, they are a TEAM. Its them against the world. They don’t care what others say or think about them. They weren’t supposed to go this far. They didn’t have people choosing them. No on expected this. For them to play the way they did, the ENTIRE team, you know that they are together in that locker room. And remember, its LSU. LSU is one of those schools that if you get the RIGHT coach, you can win in any sport. Yes, the transfer portal helped, but its not like LSU was seen as a team of superstars. Reese is a star, but the rest of the roster is pieced together. It wasn’t supposed to happen this soon. No matter if you like them or not, you have to give your kudos. The officiating was awful all game for both sides, LSU was able to weather the storm, Iowa couldn’t. Even as a LSU fan, sometimes Reese’s antics get to me. Some are just uncalled for. But hey that’s who she is. They feed off that, they have that Bad Boys Pistons feeling where its easy to not like them. That fuels them. I hate Draymond Green, but it works for the Warriors. Reese works for LSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom