LSU Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

LSU Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank god for Samuelson or else we would be in a dog fight.

And thank God for Collier and Chong in game otherwise we would have lost. And thank God For Dangerfield in game 2 or we would have lost. I guess near every game you'll be able to say the same thing. But at what point does your comment become irrelevant because usually at least one player does step up and is a difference maker?

Reaction Score
Jumbo, we saw the same game. I'll pickup where you stopped.

Kia is having a slow start to begin the season. Her shots are not falling, but her defense remains stellar. Crystal is developing a pattern of bringing instant points and energy into the game when she comes in. To say Geno trusts her now is an understatement. Another commented that perhaps Crystal should start instead of Kia, just until her offense comes around. It was also suggested that Natalie start and play her the first 4 minutes of the game, then bring Gabby in, as she continues to find herself in early foul trouble.

Uncon fans enjoyed a game today that was similar to those of last year, a 23 point mov win. Lou, Collier and a rookie freshman have been the players that have been steady for Geno through 4 games. Most of us were not surprised that Chong started today. Some thought Dangerfield would get the nod.

Please please please please no no no no no to both things mentioned in bold.

Reaction Score
I've read things like KLS shot is coming around? Really? I couldn't believe hearing GG say "she's been feeling the pressure?" Where is all this negative stuff regarding KLS shooting? She is shooting 52.2% from 3?!!!!!! Take away THIS game and she was shooting over 40% from 3 vs top level talent. She was 5-12. Heck one more she hit and it would have been 50%. Shooting 40% from 3 is terrific vs top tier talent. IMO KLS can't keep up shooting the way she is from 3, but could be much better from 2. Anyways, I thought a great sign was that she got 8 rebounds. Maybe as the season progresses she could help Gabby and Napheesa.

As for this game and going forward- I can't expect over the long haul we'll ever have much of an inside game when a small but athletic team packs in the paint. Gabby and Napheesa aren't that tall or wide. When there are a lot of bodies that surround them, they are going to struggle to score. On the flip side, because there were so many bodies that surround them, ofc it means KLS and everyone else is going to get a lot of 3 point looks. And because KLS is 6'3 and can easily shoot over smaller players which there are many on the perimeter. And why do we think in art that KLS was regarded as the number 1 recruit? What was her strength? It was 3pt shooting? SO you think it's a good game plan ot leave her open from 3? Or after she catches a pass- a 5'11 player runs out at her, do you think she notices?

I have a couple of friends that are stuck in old-time basketball where they feel for an offense the inside is most important. It's not. You can win by being a good 3pt shooting team when the opposing defense deliberately gives you open shots. You know there will be days KLS misses a ton. Usually it will be because someone is tight on her. However when a team like LSU who is so small feels such a need to pack the paint, just sit back and enjoy what our perimeter is going to do to them. LOL if your defensive strategy during a game is to give KLS open 3's. UCONN's efg% for the game was 61.7%. That's darn awesome. It's the TO's that were ugly.

And I cringe when I read "if we were playing . . . tonight" News flash: We weren't. Each opponent is different and as what carnac eluded to on a prior post it takes a while before you get a feel for a team. Last year supposedly we couldn't defend the 3 early on, then MD played us tough and it was proclaimed that you could beat UCONN in the paint. We don't know. - because of matchups we can't know. We were more athletic than Baylor while FSU and LSU were more athletic than UCONN. All these teams are so different and play differently -- as does UCONN. It is so irrelevant to look at tonight and project what we do vs another team so early in the season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I already made my argument before you made your typical negative "Proclamations". But that's OK you can't help it. I understand.

You blamed the performance on LSU's physicality while also claiming it was a "solid" road win. You then responded with condescension and non-sequiturs. But if it makes you feel better to pretend some sort of superiority, have at it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Rebounding continues to be an issue. LSU is small and came in #152 in rebound margin yet UConn only was 6% better in total rebounding percentage. Butler struggled mightily which is a problem with such a short bench. She got passed on several 1-on-1 drives by the player she was guarding and was also out-rebounded by much smaller players.

On the plus side, Dangerfield's skill remains evident and Nurse looked more like her old self; in fact she was about the only player who made shots in the lane. Road games in particular are likely to be a roller coaster much of the year.

Reaction Score
Rebounding continues to be an issue. LSU is small and came in #152 in rebound margin yet UConn only was 6% better in total rebounding percentage. Butler struggled mightily which is a problem with such a short bench. She got passed on several 1-on-1 drives by the player she was guarding and was also out-rebounded by much smaller players.

On the plus side, Dangerfield's skill remains evident and Nurse looked more like her old self; in fact she was about the only player who made shots in the lane. Road games in particular are likely to be a roller coaster much of the year.

I believe part of the rebounding issue is when we play athletic guards. Once they beat our guards or wings off the dribble, we are susceptible either with the missed shot because Gabby/Napheesa are forced to help or the dump off pass. Even if they miss they have the size to get the rebound. I think rebounding will be an issue all year which si why we probably will lose a few games because of it.

We're still a tough to beat. Our guard play and wings can flat out shoot the basketball. All four players (KLS, Nurse, CD and Chong) can be more than just shooters. They can be impact scorers.

I'm now interested on the offensive side of two things:

1-- KLS is now averaging over 19 a game. What is the defense going to do about it? When they do something about it, I'm most interested in, will it open up the game more for Gabby and Napheesa (and even the others)? The beauty of KLS is that unless your in her grill she can shoot over any "normal-sized" wing. She is a mismatch that shoots like KML but has size where normal wings can't affect her shot. What's going to be done to slow her down, which in turn it will be fun to see if something is done drastic how will UCONN make them pay?

2-- Napheesa Collier has only taken two shots from 3. But last year I thought though she missed, she looked fluid. Vs LSU when that shot went up from 3, I immediately felt it was going to go in. It looked soft too. What if she starts nailing 3's? Can she? I'm not saying take 5 3's a game. But can she shoot the 3 better than Morgan Tuck?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We're still a tough to beat. Our guard play and wings can flat out shoot the basketball. All four players (KLS, Nurse, CD and Chong) can be more than just shooters. They can be impact scorers.

Oh sure. And the great news is they can play much, much better than they did against LSU. My guess is most of those better performances will take place at home where confidence is always higher for less established players.

My concern about the offense is the team bogging down against zones or packed in defenses. Some of the recent great teams even had this problem but usually figured it out quickly. And it helps to have terrific passing big players (Stewart, Tuck, Dolson). As much as I like Collier she can be harassed into issues in tight spaces. Gabby too. When those two have space they are virtually unstoppable unless facing tremendous height.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Um ... Nurse made one shot in the lane - her other three were 3 pointers. She as well as Gabby, Napheesa, and Lou all tried to make shots in the lane but were whacked and scored from the charity strip instead. While Uconn made more three pointers than two pointers a lot of the reason for that was because whenever they shot in the lane they mostly got whacked - hence 21 free throws.

Butler is likely to struggle against smaller teams all year.

Uconn got 62% of their defensive rebounds, and LSU only got 56% of theirs - both teams were playing a lot of zone defense and rebounding out of a zone is often an issue, but Uconn did OK.

The team was lose with the ball, but the freshman all played significant minutes and accounted for half of the turnovers. Gabby alone account for almost half of the remaining half and yeah, offensive fouls are turnovers. Dangerfield shot the ball well again and looked confident, but she was careless with the ball in this game - not surprising because this is all new to her.

Last year Uconn beat up on a 'walking wounded' LSU - they were pulling players off the street to play because of injuries - by 46 points at the XL - this years edition of LSU is a much better team, and we won by 23 at their house, while the coaches experimented with the roster - Lawlor Pulido and Ekmark played 19 minutes last year, this year Irwin, Bent, and Lawlor played 34 - last year the game was played after finals on Dec 21, this year it was the third game in the first week. It wasn't a pretty game - it was a classic SEC slugfest with 38 fouls called and 38 foul shots - that kind of game is never going to 'flow'. But it was a comfortable win this early in the season with a lot of good minutes for the bench.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
While Uconn made more three pointers than two pointers a lot of the reason for that was because whenever they shot in the lane they mostly got whacked - hence 21 free throws.

Butler is likely to struggle against smaller teams all year.

Uconn got 62% of their defensive rebounds, and LSU only got 56% of theirs - both teams were playing a lot of zone defense and rebounding out of a zone is often an issue, but Uconn did OK.

The team was lose with the ball, but the freshman all played significant minutes and accounted for half of the turnovers. Gabby alone account for almost half of the remaining half and yeah, offensive fouls are turnovers. Dangerfield shot the ball well again and looked confident, but she was careless with the ball in this game - not surprising because this is all new to her.

Last year Uconn beat up on a 'walking wounded' LSU - they were pulling players off the street to play because of injuries - by 46 points at the XL - this years edition of LSU is a much better team, and we won by 23 at their house, while the coaches experimented with the roster - Lawlor Pulido and Ekmark played 19 minutes last year, this year Irwin, Bent, and Lawlor played 34 - last year the game was played after finals on Dec 21, this year it was the third game in the first week. It wasn't a pretty game - it was a classic SEC slugfest with 38 fouls called and 38 foul shots - that kind of game is never going to 'flow'. But it was a comfortable win this early in the season with a lot of good minutes for the bench.

So we've decided Butler can't play against smaller teams? That covers an awful lot of competition. Shouldn't she have a distinct advantage against smaller teams? Shouldn't she not get out-maneuvered for rebounds after free throws by players 10 inches shorter?

21 free throws doesn't prove it was a slugfest or that UConn was getting hammered. A much less talented LSU team had 17 free throws.

I'm not sure why you are comparing last year's game with this one. Nobody is saying this team is at the level of the 15-16 team. And for the record, Stewart did not play in the game last year. The final margin could've been 80 had UConn been interested.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So we've decided Butler can't play against smaller teams? That covers an awful lot of competition. Shouldn't she have a distinct advantage against smaller teams? Shouldn't she not get out-maneuvered for rebounds after free throws by players 10 inches shorter?

21 free throws doesn't prove it was a slugfest or that UConn was getting hammered. A much less talented LSU team had 17 free throws.

I'm not sure why you are comparing last year's game with this one. Nobody is saying this team is at the level of the 15-16 team. And for the record, Stewart did not play in the game last year. The final margin could've been 80 had UConn been interested.

I want to add to this after watching the game again.

Three of the fouls called on Collier were bogus. She actually committed two fouls, not five.

Of UConn's 21 free throws, 3 came on KLS jumpers, and 2 off a Nurse 1-on-1 fastbreak.

LSU's forward Heider might be related to the refs, not sure. She was the recipient of a slew of calls or non-calls, two of which cost Dangerfield turnovers.

Reaction Score
Running anything even resembling an offense is a real struggle right now.

As Geno said in post game. the way they play is pick your poison. Pack it down low give you all the 3's you want so Lou says thank you.They played us
that way not to lose by 40 .

Reaction Score
Only 5 lay ups of the 8 made 2 pointers.
Need more cutters and passes into the paint.
Happy for Lou's 8 rebounds more than her 7 three pointers.
The defense they played made it impossible many times to cut in the lane.They packed it in all game, bumped any would be cutters off their route and gave us 3's
sometimes you have to give the other team some credit and realize we finally adjusted. Also, Geno had many combinations in to experiment so cut him some slack .

Reaction Score
OK - lots of moaning and groaning. My take - 21 free throws - with one being Lou's four point play - that means there were about 8 two point shots, mostly runners or lay-ups where the the uconn player was clobbered and could not make the basket (there were a couple of bonus fouls on the floor to account for the other 4 free throws.) LSU did not have the talent to play Uconn straight up so they played a very physical, SEC kind of style - every cutter was pinball through the lane, there was a lot of clutching and bumping outside as well, and only some of those 'fouls' were called.

LSU also played a sagging defense which clogged up any attempts to get passes inside, and led to a lot of wide open threes - 14 of which Uconn nailed at a 53% clip. With the threes (42 pts.) and the free throws accounting for 60 points out of the 76 total scored - 79%. You don't see that very often!

The freshman played 53 minutes in this game (yes, Dangerfield is a freshman) and accounted for 50% of the turnovers - 10. You play freshman, they are going to make mistakes, and they did. It was a good run for them, and they didn't look lost out there, and they had some nice plays. But they also made lots of mistakes.

Butler didn't have a great game, but this is the type of team she is going to struggle with - short, quackish, and pesky. She did really well against the trees of Baylor and the larger FSU, but LSU just isn't the type of team she is going to find easy. One of the reasons we saw as much as we did of Irwin in that while she would be lost against Baylor, LSU is an easier match-up.

Good things - Kia had a great game - don't see many comments about that. 4-8 shooting, 8 assists and a 4.0 A/TO. Hope she has turned the corner and can relax into her game from here on out.

Lou was on fire - new career high and she is now at .522 on her threes. She also led the team in rebounds mirroring Colliers first game.

Bad things - Gabby with four and Napheesa with 5 fouls - if they don't get this cleaned up, it may bite us down the line. Gabby particularly is committing an average of about two STUPID fouls each game, usually charges, but with a hopeless 'over the back' rebounding foul thrown in occasionally. The two of them committed 53% of the fouls - the rest were evenly spread across all the rest of the team with Natalie the only one with more than 1 (she had 2.)

On Edit - credit to LSU for muddying up the passing lanes and having quick hands - they got there hands on a lot of balls. Not all the turnovers were bad passes, some of then were really good defensive plays.

Reaction Score
OK - lots of moaning and groaning. My take - 21 free throws - with one being Lou's four point play - that means there were about 8 two point shots, mostly runners or lay-ups where the the uconn player was clobbered and could not make the basket (there were a couple of bonus fouls on the floor to account for the other 4 free throws.) LSU did not have the talent to play Uconn straight up so they played a very physical, SEC kind of style - every cutter was pinball through the lane, there was a lot of clutching and bumping outside as well, and only some of those 'fouls' were called.

LSU also played a sagging defense which clogged up any attempts to get passes inside, and led to a lot of wide open threes - 14 of which Uconn nailed at a 53% clip. With the threes (42 pts.) and the free throws accounting for 60 points out of the 76 total scored - 79%. You don't see that very often!

The freshman played 53 minutes in this game (yes, Dangerfield is a freshman) and accounted for 50% of the turnovers - 10. You play freshman, they are going to make mistakes, and they did. It was a good run for them, and they didn't look lost out there, and they had some nice plays. But they also made lots of mistakes.

Butler didn't have a great game, but this is the type of team she is going to struggle with - short, quackish, and pesky. She did really well against the trees of Baylor and the larger FSU, but LSU just isn't the type of team she is going to find easy. One of the reasons we saw as much as we did of Irwin in that while she would be lost against Baylor, LSU is an easier match-up.

Good things - Kia had a great game - don't see many comments about that. 4-8 shooting, 8 assists and a 4.0 A/TO. Hope she has turned the corner and can relax into her game from here on out.

Lou was on fire - new career high and she is now at .522 on her threes. She also led the team in rebounds mirroring Colliers first game.

Bad things - Gabby with four and Napheesa with 5 fouls - if they don't get this cleaned up, it may bite us down the line. Gabby particularly is committing an average of about two STUPID fouls each game, usually charges, but with a hopeless 'over the back' rebounding foul thrown in occasionally. The two of them committed 53% of the fouls - the rest were evenly spread across all the rest of the team with Natalie the only one with more than 1 (she had 2.)

On Edit - credit to LSU for muddying up the passing lanes and having quick hands - they got there hands on a lot of balls. Not all the turnovers were bad passes, some of then were really good defensive plays.
I wish I would have said that. Great job.

Reaction Score
Oh sure. And the great news is they can play much, much better than they did against LSU. My guess is most of those better performances will take place at home where confidence is always higher for less established players.

My concern about the offense is the team bogging down against zones or packed in defenses. Some of the recent great teams even had this problem but usually figured it out quickly. And it helps to have terrific passing big players (Stewart, Tuck, Dolson). As much as I like Collier she can be harassed into issues in tight spaces. Gabby too. When those two have space they are virtually unstoppable unless facing tremendous height.

I don't believe that should be a concern because you're going to give players like KLS open 3's. IN KLS's last 26 games she is 32-67 from 3. Anyone that plays a zone cannot guarantee that there will be size to defend KLS on the perimeter. This is what makes KLS the number 1 recruit. I seriously doubt / would be very surprised if many of the top teams which aren't zone teams are going to be scared of UCONN's so much that they are going to play zone and let a super supreme shooter open from 3.

If your defensive strategy is to give KLS open 3's -- good luck with that. You can't help but give KLS open 3's if you are also saying you're going to pack in your zone. And there are more than likely 1 or 2 or maybe 3 players on the floor that are 6 foot shorter - and if they run out to her she won't even notice them most of the time because they are "packed in." Even if you are taller and you are "packing it in" - 6'1 and above - if the ball moves - you can't get out on her to affect her shot- these kids aren't "LeBron James."

I would find it odd for a team with title aspirations to have a defensive strategy of letting KLS open for 3's. And for the less talented teams - the more chance we will win at other positions. Anyhow KLS will destroy that strategy of packed in zones. And I wouldn't count on continued non-forced sloppy play. Too much talent. Sure you can have one bad game here or there. Good luck if that is your strategy-- "hope UCONN plays bad."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I would find it odd for a team with title aspirations to have a defensive strategy of letting KLS open for 3's. And for the less talented teams - the more chance we will win at other positions. Anyhow KLS will destroy that strategy of packed in zones. And I wouldn't count on continued non-forced sloppy play. Too much talent. Sure you can have one bad game here or there. Good luck if that is your strategy-- "hope UCONN plays bad."

I don't think that was the strategy, just that they lost track of her a few times. A couple of her other makes were from five feet behind the line with her defender sagging off not expecting the shot.

The Huskies are capable of moving the ball quick enough to get shooters open, at least against most teams. That said, I do think sagging in and swarming players who get the ball from the elbow in is a solid strategy against UConn. I will say this about LSU: they swarmed well at times and made ball movement inside the arc tough. UConn rarely went to the high post to pass over the zone as Goestenkors mentioned. That's where having those tall, quality passers come in handy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, you don't advocate taking a player out with three fouls at that point of game , especially with a big lead ?
Not if you are trying to teach them. KLS was in that situation half way through the third quarter of a game and went over to her coach expecting to sub for her - his response, 4 fouls isn't my fault! KLS played about 13 minutes and didn't pick up her 5th - she figured it out. So Collier needs a little more work playing with 3/4 fouls and not committing more, because there are going to be games where sh needs to play and not foul out. Might as well practice in a game well in hand.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Not sure about some of the whining, but you have just effectively shown that you can play against 3 different opponents who offered up 3 different scenarios to try stop you, most teams are lucky if they can do 2 of those. LSU was very physical and your players stepped up big time. Of course the passing isn't at the level of last years team, duh. You have 2 players who seem to see the offense, obviously KLS did it last year and reads the game extremely well but this year she has to also be more of a scorer especially when the clock is ticking, Williams is the other who seems to read the defense quicker, I will add that Nurse is starting to swing the ball very well also. The biggest problem is reading the cutter, so the other players will probably be a work in progress as they have usually been the recipient of those passers and your freshman has to learn that the dribble is not always the best option as you take a defender with you and allow other defenders to react especially when your small. But again you have only played 3 games and are 3 and 0. Whats not to like at this point.

Reaction Score
Some people just LOVE to complain let's face it. If they can't whine about the entire team's performace they'll pick out individuals and complain about them. Some people are just naturally negative. Nothing new really. We all know who they are by now.

And some people just LOVE to boast let's face it. So what makes your opinion any better? I would rather see honest posts and analysis than read the rah rah posts of a bunch of cheerleaders.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Just like there were certain teams that Dolson and Stokes really struggled against - you have very few big players who have size, speed, and quickness - when you find one it is usually a Tina Charles type of star - the rest ... they want another big to bang against - surround them with smaller faster players and they struggle - see Baylor's Brown and Montpremier as exhibit A.

I call it a slugfest and elsewhere I have used the modification 'a typical SEC slugfest' because there were 38 fouls called in the game and 38 foul shots taken - the average last year in a Uconn game was 26 fouls, 22 foul shots. The amount of bumping and clutching of cutters through the game was excessive, another trait of the SEC style of basketball - they could have called another ten or more fouls but they got short of breath and their arms were getting tired.

[As a comparison to typical SEC teams: TN games last year averaged 35 fouls and 33 foul shots, Miss State - 42 fouls and 38 foul shots, KY - 37 fouls, 34 FTs, A&M - 36 fouls, 35 FTs. That kind of game is always going to be UGLY - that works out to a foul every minute of the game and a trip to the free throw line every two minutes - hard for a game to flow in those circumstances!]

Reaction Score
I don't think that was the strategy, just that they lost track of her a few times. A couple of her other makes were from five feet behind the line with her defender sagging off not expecting the shot.

The Huskies are capable of moving the ball quick enough to get shooters open, at least against most teams. That said, I do think sagging in and swarming players who get the ball from the elbow in is a solid strategy against UConn. I will say this about LSU: they swarmed well at times and made ball movement inside the arc tough. UConn rarely went to the high post to pass over the zone as Goestenkors mentioned. That's where having those tall, quality passers come in handy.

I don't agree. I think that was exactly the strategy. We heard from Gail G to start the game = at the 7:20 mark she says " With a matchup zone, those 3pt shots are going to be available."

And in the 3rd qtr 6:54 mark she says "The skip pass has always been open against the zone."

That was the intent of the zone. To allow the 3.

-------
When you pack in the paint, the intent of the zone is to allow players to shoot the ball from the outside. And as you had previously mentioned with your strategy you want to pack the paint, yet imo it's a pipedream for you to expect you can get a defensive player outside consistently enough to defend a 6'3 shooter/scorer with the intent to affect / bother her from taking a fluid 3, unless you have LeBron James men's players.

You can't pack the paint while equally defending the 3 when there is a player that is 6'3 and shoots the ball above her shoulder unless your defense is a box-and-one in which someone is always guarding her. You can't have it both ways. In addition, this isn't like men's basketball where the centers can't pass. There are for the most part at least four other decent to very good passers on this team. They WILL find KLS in a packed in zone. And KLS IS regarded as just as good of a shooter as KML only that KLS is taller thus she can get off more shots. More "unaffected" shots. How that can be considered an overall good defensive strategy to me is way way wrong. LSU is forced into it though.

As I said - she can have a bad game-- 19 - 20 yo kids are human - but you're playing with fire allowing it to happen. You're trying to win a game based on hope. Top teams won't try to do that is my guess.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't agree. I think that was exactly the strategy. We heard from Gail G to start the game = at the 7:20 mark she says " With a matchup zone, those 3pt shots are going to be available."

And in the 3rd qtr 6:54 mark she says "The skip pass has always been open against the zone."

That was the intent of the zone. To allow the 3.

Think the result of a zone is that threes are taken, but I don't believe there was strategy to let Samuelson shoot uncontested ones. Goestenkors also said something to the effect that someone needs to guard her. She is, by far, UConn's deadliest outside shooter.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Think the result of a zone is that threes are taken, but I don't believe there was strategy to let Samuelson shoot uncontested ones. Goestenkors also said something to the effect that someone needs to guard her. She is, by far, UConn's deadliest outside shooter.
Brings to mind Kaleena's glorious return from injury against Duke her junior year. Dave O'Brien: "You might want to think about guarding her." Or some such.

Reaction Score

It comes down to what you believe. GG also said at 3:48 1st qtr she complained as KLS took a 3- she was saying UCONN needs more penetration and that one pass wasn't enough to shoot. -- Ummmm- The ball went in while she was talking. When they went to the replay later-- GG sort of did an about-face and said Geno has given KLS has "the green light" to shoot. IMO what you'll find is many of the retired former post players will take the GG attitude as well. I'll bet you Sue Bird wouldn't. IMO if Kara and Sue or Rebeca and Sue were doing a game over time the different view of the game would come out.

So either GG thinks Geno is wrong for allowing KLS to continue to go bombs away with just one pass to shoot 3's or her 1st comment was off-the-cuff which most announcers do -- talk without much thought. It can't be anything in between otherwise what does then "green light" mean? If they were bad shots - then why is Geno allowing it so early in a game? He has let KLS take 9 or 11 3's a game in 2 of the last 3. Why? It's because "green light" means exactly what it is supposed to mean; if KLS feels she is open whether it is one pass or 5 - she has the "green light" to shoot. He trusts her. So now we've both questioned some of what GG has said - it comes down to our belief in how the game is being played and how it should be played. You and have always differed on both of these things.

I just believe it doesn't make sense to say "a zone can be packed in then expect that you can defend KLS." She's 6'3. She can shoot over near anything on the perimeter. Anyone that runs out at her- if they aren't very close to her - imo she barely notices them. She has shown even when players are close to her, she can hit 3pt shots.

Just like when GG spoke of the "green light." Her initial comment didn't make sense. Her belief that the other team can get out and defend when they are in fact packing in a zone is a myth too. But imo her initial comment when she was prepared was correct in that it correlates to everything I've experienced - all the time I've played and/or grown up watching the game, a packed in zone unless filled with super elite athletes MUST end up giving away outside shots. IMO that is a truism that can't be argued. When I played I could guard quick guards. But at some point any forwards with size or bigger taking a shot; I had no affect on them. None. KLS has the height of a post player who can easily shoot over wings and smaller, and with just a little space can shoot over bigger players too. To open up the door for her by packing in a zone in which she has been compared to one of the greatest freak shooters around-- KML - I just don't agree with that pack-it-in-and-hope-she-misses strategy unless you really feel you don't have much of a chance to win anyways. You're not going to stop her from getting looks. Her teammates that surround her are too good to allow a packed in in zone to have that affect. You can only hope she misses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom