Lower midwest trip | The Boneyard

Lower midwest trip

Reaction Score
Lexington, Louisville, St. Louis, KC, Indianapolis, Cincinnati

What am I missing. Beer is locked down unless you have an extreme hidden gem that's avoiding all kinds of searches. Booze is not for this trip.

Kentucky has 6 major distilleries in the same area that's the subject for another day. Not going to Churchill downs, am going to Louisville slugger museum.

St. Louis I'm aware of some food options (stl style pizza, toasted ravioli, st style ribs, gooey cakes). Going to hit Busch stadium.

KC, kaufman stadium not open for tours on my day there... BBQ options alplenty.

Indianapolis... gaping hole, might be a light day... consider other options? not brewery heavy. toying with visiting the speedway but their november operations appear indeterminate.

Cincinnati... aware of their style of chili, will tour ballpark... what else.

Not a museum guy, regional foods are interesting, factories and unique goods are interesting. I'm just trying to cover EVERYTHING. :) Just don't want to go half way across the country and miss something cool.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not sure how much time you spend in each area, but in Cincy, I'd suggest focusing on Over-the-Rhine and Findlay Market for food/unique goods. Also, while not a microbrewery, there's a Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY, just over the river from Cincy. If it's anything like the one in Pgh, they brew most of their seasonal drafts on site. Of course, you could also hit this on your Pgh trip. Also one in Columbus, OH.

While you say you're not a museum guy, I'd recommend the Ali Museum in L'ville, but I"m a huge Ali fan. If you're gonna eat a Hot Brown while in L'ville, be advised it can sit like lead in your gut for quite some time.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much time you spend in each area, but in Cincy, I'd suggest focusing on Over-the-Rhine and Findlay Market for food/unique goods. Also, while not a microbrewery, there's a Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY, just over the river from Cincy. If it's anything like the one in Pgh, they brew most of their seasonal drafts on site. Of course, you could also hit this on your Pgh trip. Also one in Columbus, OH.

While you say you're not a museum guy, I'd recommend the Ali Museum in L'ville, but I"m a huge Ali fan. If you're gonna eat a Hot Brown while in L'ville, be advised it can sit like lead in your gut for quite some time.

Cincy has so much going on beer wise that there's no point going to hofbrau. I respect hofbrau, I like them.

The PGH trip will happen some time.

So yeah... that aspect... and if they aren't listed it isn't because I forgot (aka, no side project)

Lexington KY: Lexington Brewing (look at their website, they're recognizable), Country Boy, Blue Stallion, fill in here (there's a few options I"m not wedded to)
Louisville: Against the Grain, Monnik, Mile Wide, Akasha(?)
St. Louis: Scratch (two hours outside, starting there), Urban Chestnut, Civil Life, Perennial, Schlafly, 4 Hands, fill in here. Problem with STL is its a Sunday/Monday duo in my plans.
KC: Boulevard, BKS, KC Bier, fill in here
Indianapolis: Sun King, (still exploring options... there's a couple of good leads but there isn't a lot of recognizable names)
Cincy: Listerman, Rheingeist, Sonder, Madtree, Braxton Barrel House, Darkness, Wooden Cask.
Home stretch: Wooly Pig... I could lean into Columbus more but each time I sketch out columbus I don't see anything to care about

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Home stretch: Wooly Pig... I could lean into Columbus more but each time I sketch out columbus I don't see anything to care about
We get a few Cincy beers here in Pgh and a lot of Cleveland/north OH brews, but little from Columbus. The two places I'd consider stopping at if I were headed there are Wolf's Ridge and Jackie O's (although I understand the Jackie O's in Athens is probably the best spot to try them out).

In St. Louis, I'd strongly consider Side Project, which is a few miles west of downtown. I see a number of their beers on top 100 lists, but their offerings might not fit your style.

Reaction Score
We get a few Cincy beers here in Pgh and a lot of Cleveland/north OH brews, but little from Columbus. The two places I'd consider stopping at if I were headed there are Wolf's Ridge and Jackie O's (although I understand the Jackie O's in Athens is probably the best spot to try them out).

In St. Louis, I'd strongly consider Side Project, which is a few miles west of downtown. I see a number of their beers on top 100 lists, but their offerings might not fit your style.
Been to Jackie o's in athens.

Side project was an intentional omit. I don't do wine barrel sours and farmhouse or the rest of their list. If I get a friend dying for me to grab a bottle I'll consider it.

Reaction Score
I was just in KC over the weekend. The WW1 museum was amazing and very sobering. I did not have the time needed to properly explore. I plan to go back.

Reaction Score
screw the horses, I'm doing this

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@Patman when are you doing this? What time of year in KC? I second the WW1 museum. But there are other things depending on time of year.

Reaction Score
Veterans day weekend through the following week. Ideally I would have done this memorial day weekend but mom and dad came to visit. So wrong time of the year for trips like this but I don't know when I get to do these things otherwise

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of good things about the ww1 museum

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Veterans day weekend through the following week. Ideally I would have done this memorial day weekend but mom and dad came to visit. So wrong time of the year for trips like this but I don't know when I get to do these things otherwise

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of good things about the ww1 museum
Along those lines Veterans Day Events in Kansas City. WWI museum is also next to Union Station, which is now an entertainment center.

BBQ is of course usually something people think of, but KC has good Mexican food as well. Also, it’s a Jazz hub if you like that sort of thing, certainly something not available everywhere. I haven’t been but would like to go to the Negro League Baseball Museum Welcome to NLBM - Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

For beer, I have a suggestion in Lawrence and one in suburban St. Louis, but none in KC.

Reaction Score
Along those lines Veterans Day Events in Kansas City. WWI museum is also next to Union Station, which is now an entertainment center.

BBQ is of course usually something people think of, but KC has good Mexican food as well. Also, it’s a Jazz hub if you like that sort of thing, certainly something not available everywhere. I haven’t been but would like to go to the Negro League Baseball Museum Welcome to NLBM - Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

For beer, I have a suggestion in Lawrence and one in suburban St. Louis, but none in KC.
I've got a day in KC so yeah...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom