Low top sneakers | The Boneyard

Low top sneakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
During the Florida game I noticed a bunch of our guys (Deandre, Nolan and maybe Shabazz) wearing low tops that leave their ankles exposed. I'm watching the Michigan State - NC game and I'm noticing the same thing.

Did anyone else notice this? What's prompted this trend? Seems counter-intuitive with the prevalence of ankle injuries, but maybe taping your ankles does as good of a job?

Reaction Score
first player I noticed that went the lowtop route was Gilbert Arenas back when he was one of the elite scorers, and Adidas marketed his exclusive sneaker that way. then Kobe went the same route with his Nike line and they have been released as a lowtop sneaker for a good while now. I'd say it first became a popular trend around 06-07, maybe a year before that.

Reaction Score
During the Florida game I noticed a bunch of our guys (Deandre, Nolan and maybe Shabazz) wearing low tops that leave their ankles exposed. I'm watching the Michigan State - NC game and I'm noticing the same thing.

Did anyone else notice this? What's prompted this trend? Seems counter-intuitive with the prevalence of ankle injuries, but maybe taping your ankles does as good of a job?

Think you are spot on. A lot of players are going low top because they tape their ankles. High top sneakers really don't add any additional support at the college level and above. Bigger faster stronger.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Bazz made a comment in an interview that the trainer taped his ankle extra hard before the Florida game. They rely far more on the tape than on the sneakers to protect their ankles.

Reaction Score
Bazz was also wearing like weird inside out ratty looking socks when they showed a closeup of his feet after he had the 4pt play. It was ... interesting.

Reaction Score
Personally, I've always hated wearing high top basketball sneakers. I've never liked how they have felt on my foot so I've always wore low top ones. I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels this way as well.

Reaction Score
Never understood what some 'canvas' did for the ankles.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Low top basketball sneaks?

A'int nobody got time for that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics