Low Point for UConn athletics | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Low Point for UConn athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The football program is 8 weeks from possible permanent irrelevance.

I've been a big Ollie supporter but the last couple of years are generating one red flag after another.

Conference realignment is done and UConn is on the outside looking in.

It's not generational - 99% of the world judges you on two sports. A program's relevance is dictated by what conference you are in.

The AD budget is so broken we are going to have year four of Diaco.

The rest is just noise that only a handful of hardcore boosters care about - and they only care when teams win. Are we really going to pretend people follow the field hockey team? People are driving up to Storrs to watch baseball and softball games?

If you think none of this looks bad you need an eye doctor. This entire program is on the brink of becoming completely irrelevant.

I simply don't agree.

The basis?

Jim Calhoun is not walking through that door. Kevin Ollie has painstakingly brought this team a full circle and he is still a young coach. I see - striking - contrast between Kevin Ollie and Brad Underwood. Ollie has a lot to learn (and I would suggest a shake up of his assistants). But who is today's ballplayer in AAU going to want to play for? National kid? Ollie is going to do just fine with the Adams/Larrier/Enoch + the 5 True Freshman + the recent LOI signees. Trust me: there are a lot of Wins coming with those 11. They are the type of kids that our foundation was built on. Will Ollie rise to the top handful of coaches in CBB? Probably not. We will threaten to go past the Sweet Sixteen regularly in the next 6 years.

Football? Gosh you are apocalyptic. You make us sound like KMart. We are in the league that allows us to rise. I have no solution to Diaco. And I believe I am far more pragmatic than the posters that think UConn is coming up with a multi-million dollar buyout. But ... one Dino Babers changes that.

And YES ... I do think you are narrow-minded when you don't consider our huge dominance of Women's Basketball. Given the easily found SNY CEO comments on the 8.5m viewers that SNY opens our Programs to in metropolitan NY and the ratings. Given what we can platform with that? Your comment basically is that is irrelevant. Pfffft.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I simply don't agree.

The basis?

Jim Calhoun is not walking through that door. Kevin Ollie has painstakingly brought this team a full circle and he is still a young coach. I see - striking - contrast between Kevin Ollie and Brad Underwood. Ollie has a lot to learn (and I would suggest a shake up of his assistants). But who is today's ballplayer in AAU going to want to play for? National kid? Ollie is going to do just fine with the Adams/Larrier/Enoch + the 5 True Freshman + the recent LOI signees. Trust me: there are a lot of Wins coming with those 11. They are the type of kids that our foundation was built on. Will Ollie rise to the top handful of coaches in CBB? Probably not. We will threaten to go past the Sweet Sixteen regularly in the next 6 years.

Football? Gosh you are apocalyptic. You make us sound like KMart. We are in the league that allows us to rise. I have no solution to Diaco. And I believe I am far more pragmatic than the posters that think UConn is coming up with a multi-million dollar buyout. But ... one Dino Babers changes that.

And YES ... I do think you are narrow-minded when you don't consider our huge dominance of Women's Basketball. Given the easily found SNY CEO comments on the 8.5m viewers that SNY opens our Programs to in metropolitan NY and the ratings. Given what we can platform with that? Your comment basically is that is irrelevant. Pfffft.

This is no different than 2 years ago when I was ruining the board.

You want it to be one way, but it's not.. it's the other.

The SNY comments were actually hilarious to me. Guess who makes money on that - SNY and ESPN. Guess who doesn't? UConn.

As for the football program if you can't see what happens in year 4 of Diaco I don't know what to tell you - it will be the most embarrassing thing that ever happens to UConn athletics.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Our performance in football and basketball - again the only things that matter on a national level - haven't been because of the AAC. Our ability to make changes to those staffs is limited due to the AAC's revenue.

If you don't think UConn is close to being irrelevant on a national scene you're being willingly obtuse.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is a rough thread.

There are two things being argued here; the health of the athletic department (literal thread title) or the health of the combined football and men's basketball programs.

If you are trying to argue that the AD is at a low point, we'll then, you're wrong. We have national titles in multiple sports over the last 4 years to show that you're wrong. We've had ranked teams in at least 4 sports already this year. Hockey had beaten top 10 programs this year (BU, ND). And so on.

If you are arguing that this is the low point for our combined football and men's basketball programs over the last 20 years, well then...yes...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a rough thread.

There are two things being argued here; the health of the athletic department (literal thread title) or the health of the combined football and men's basketball programs.

If you are trying to argue that the AD is at a low point, we'll then, you're wrong. We have national titles in multiple sports over the last 4 years to show that you're wrong. We've had ranked teams in at least 4 sports already this year. Hockey had beaten top 10 programs this year (BU, ND). And so on.

If you are arguing that this is the low point for our combined football and men's basketball programs over the last 20 years, well then...yes...

Dan you can't separate the two. If football is on life support and basketball is at a 30+ low point the rest is pointless.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan you can't separate the two. If football is on life support and basketball is at a 30+ low point the rest is pointless.

I understand that those are the money makers, no doubt. those two are the two that absolutely need to be fixed, especially when we are trying to get into the so called "P5".

It's just unfortunate that it's happening during a period of time when the women's basketball team has won for national titles in a row, the hockey team is successfully making a transition to Hockey East, the field hockey team is coming off of a final four appearance and a title last year, the baseball team is high quality, the women's soccer team was ranked top 15, etc.

No doubt that you're right, but we have to also tip our hats to the multitude of great teams we have that most schools don't...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I understand that those are the money makers, no doubt. those two are the two that absolutely need to be fixed, especially when we are trying to get into the so called "P5".

It's just unfortunate that it's happening during a period of time when the women's basketball team has won for national titles in a row, the hockey team is successfully making a transition to Hockey East, the field hockey team is coming off of a final four appearance and a title last year, the baseball team is high quality, the women's soccer team was ranked top 15, etc.

No doubt that you're right, but we have to also tip our hats to the multitude of great teams we have that most schools don't...

Yes for people like you it's something to hang your hat on. Just no one outside of a small percentage if alumni cares - and trying to make the case to people outside of UConn just makes you look crazy.

It's like listening to Diaco try and tell you everything is great.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes for people like you it's something to hang your hat on. Just no one outside of a small percentage if alumni cares - and trying to make the case to people outside of UConn just makes you look crazy.

It's like listening to Diaco try and tell you everything is great.

Well it's not just me. There's a Capital One Cup for a reason. Men's soccer regularly draws numbers over a thousand. And so on.

I'm not arguing with you that the two big money makers are in rough shape right now. They are. No way to sugar coat it. So let's just say that. Because the rest of the AD is doing well.

And Diaco is awesome... :eek:

Reaction Score

That's crazy - a "30+ low point"?

WTF are you thinking. And do you have any capacity to look at players and recognize skillsets? Nuts. I would line every player up versus a 2012 or a 2002 or a 1997 or a 1989 and you simply are wrong. I get it ... you want Great every year. We won 4 National Championships and we re-loaded with new kids. That is College Athletics.

Reaction Score

WTF are you thinking. And do you have any capacity to look at players and recognize skillsets? Nuts. I would line every player up versus a 2012 or a 2002 or a 1997 or a 1989 and you simply are wrong. I get it ... you want Great every year. We won 4 National Championships and we re-loaded with new kids. That is College Athletics.

If Diaco is the head coach next season, say good bye to the chance of having a decent football program for the next 3 years bare minimum and embrace the reality that our university administrstion has no idea how to run an effective division 1A FBS athletic department, and will be treated as such and disrespected as such by groups of institutions that do, and that includes our own current conference.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Wait, did you just say 2002? A team with Butler, Gordon, Okafor, and Taliek? This team would get killed right now. Sorry. Even Johnnie Selvie would be having a field day.

This team is young and inexperienced. Given some time, I think they are going to be great. But let's not compare them to a team with three known NBA players...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well it's not just me. There's a Capital One Cup for a reason. Men's soccer regularly draws numbers over a thousand. And so on.

I'm not arguing with you that the two big money makers are in rough shape right now. They are. No way to sugar coat it. So let's just say that. Because the rest of the AD is doing well.

And Diaco is awesome... :eek:

Yes if there is anything people care about it's the Capital One Cup. Swimming and

I'm sorry 28 year low point?

Line up whoever you like. This team has been abysmal.

Reaction Score
If Diaco is the head coach next season, say good bye to the chance of having a decent football program for the next 3 years bare minimum and embrace the reality that our university administrstion has no idea how to run an effective division 1A FBS athletic department, and will be treated as such and disrespected as such by groups of institutions that do, and that includes our own current conference.

You get a "like"

Post about Basketball and you go off on a tangent. I like that. The mistake was the "extension". And since zero of you guys are writing a check and this New England state is specifically curmudgeon based, I see a very low probability of Diaco being gone by 1/10/2017. If that gets us to our lowest point - ignoring the DOMINANT name in Women's sport (with the most notable coach) plus huge Brand, a upscale Hockey gateway, many successes across other sports, and a Kevin Ollie Program that I disagree with the negativity - fine.

Reaction Score
Wait, did you just say 2002? A team with Butler, Gordon, Okafor, and Taliek? This team would get killed right now. Sorry. Even Johnnie Selvie would be having a field day.

This team is young and inexperienced. Given some time, I think they are going to be great. But let's not compare them to a team with three known NBA players...

Killed?

They were Freshmen? Did you see them play or are you just thinking of them as 25 year olds.

I think some of you want more Shonn Millers, Lasan Kromah, Sterling Gibbs. I understand. I believe that Ollie has chosen with this class to go in another direction. Simply that he wants to see full development.

Reaction Score
You get a "like"

Post about Basketball and you go off on a tangent. I like that. The mistake was the "extension". And since zero of you guys are writing a check and this New England state is specifically curmudgeon based, I see a very low probability of Diaco being gone by 1/10/2017. If that gets us to our lowest point - ignoring the DOMINANT name in Women's sport (with the most notable coach) plus huge Brand, a upscale Hockey gateway, many successes across other sports, and a Kevin Ollie Program that I disagree with the negativity - fine.

If I could, I would written the check on Saturday night. The buyout amount and contractual terms were a mistake, in contract writing, that Benedict - if smart - will never make again. Nothing can be done about it.

But the athletic department has a $72million budget. Have you looked at the athletic dept staff directory alone? $5mill is a drop in the bucket. The cost of firing him is far outweighed by the risk assessment cost of keeping him.

And I will cross over to basketball. We have basketball alumni worth dozens of millions. Between them a $5mill check is easy. If the culture and understanding was there. Jim Calhoun was many things, good and bad. His worst legacy is his 'not a dime back' attitude and not fostering that giving back attitude to the school all along. Between NBA and NFL alum, this could be done quick.

I'm a small potatoes contributor for a long time,but its added up over the years and I started in earnest 15 years ago when the school made the commitment to football.

My little contribution won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but I won't be donating my discretionary money anymore to the school if they demonstrate no ability to get budgets squared away and priorities straight.

Why the hell should I?

I could buy tickets individually and sit anywhere.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Killed?

They were Freshmen? Did you see them play or are you just thinking of them as 25 year olds.

I think some of you want more Shonn Millers, Lasan Kromah, Sterling Gibbs. I understand. I believe that Ollie has chosen with this class to go in another direction. Simply that he wants to see full development.

Butler was a sophomore, averaging 20 points a game. Okafor as a freshman was averaging 8 and 9 boards. Gordon as a freshman was averaging 12.

Who on this team would get a rebound against them? Seriously, who? Between Selvie, Caron, and Okafor, we would get out rebounded by at least 12. Brimah would have 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes and then would be out of the game with 10 minutes left to go.

The problem with the current team is that we get no offensive production from our bigs. That 2002 team would eat us up. This team had a lot of upside, but let's not get crazy...

Reaction Score
We don't have anyone to write that check. It's not coming from the State or University.

Firing Staff? That's your solution to Diaco? Or cutting Sports?

You can't take a moment in time. The 2016-2017 had plenty of talent. All down the roster. Part of the joy of college sports is development: this is a "Development" year.

Reaction Score
We don't have anyone to write that check. It's not coming from the State or University.

Firing Staff? That's your solution to Diaco? Or cutting Sports?

You can't take a moment in time. The 2016-2017 had plenty of talent. All down the roster. Part of the joy of college sports is development: this is a "Development" year.

I guarantee there is enough bloat and fat in that budget to come up with $5mill and not blink an eye.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes I see a lot ot great joy when losing to Wagner and Northeastern before squeezing by a D-II team. I'm sure joy will be the emotion expressed at XL and Gampel when they get back.

Ollie looks like he is having a lot of fun out there. Great joy for him.

Reaction Score
Of course. You have factored in that three players look to be out for the year on Ollies team.

What if Ben Gordon & Emeka Okafor were lost in 2002 after 4 games?

The 8 kids we've seen ( the 2016 five person class + Adams/Enoch/Larrier) are a terrific group. If you're debating that, you're wrong. There's not a Michael LeBlanc or Scott Hazelton or Antric Klaiber amongst them. We develop in cycles. That's my point. And Ollie definitively chose not to bring in a 5th year GR transfer.

That's enough on this.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is the cancer that is destroying UConn football and men's basketball. In time it will suck the life out of all sports that are important to the P5 conferences. Even women's bb will feel it, post Geno. It won't be overnight but it will happen.

Conference realignment is doing what business schools tells students that oligopolies do . . . a few big market participants eventually snuff out those competitors on the outside. For college sports the two most important variables are recruiting and TV relevance.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Conference realignment is the cancer that is destroying UConn football and men's basketball. In time it will suck the life out of all sports that are important to the P5 conferences. Even women's bb will feel it, post Geno. It won't be overnight but it will happen.

Conference realignment is doing what business schools tells students that oligopolies do . . . a few big market participants eventually snuff out those competitors on the outside. For college sports the two most important variables are recruiting and TV relevance.

Conference realignment will eventually kill UConn athletics if they never get out.

This season and the past 5? The only people UConn have to blame is themselves and their on field performance.

AAC eventually kills us from a revenue standpoint but as of right now our teams in recent years have been decidedly mediocre or downright horrible.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I guarantee there is enough bloat and fat in that budget to come up with $5mill and not blink an eye.

This is such a garbage argument.

"I haven't seen any of the bookkeeping, I just know!"

Reaction Score
Conference realignment will eventually kill UConn athletics if they never get out.

This season and the past 5? The only people UConn have to blame is themselves and their on field performance.

AAC eventually kills us from a revenue standpoint but as of right now our teams in recent years have been decidedly mediocre or downright horrible.

Agreed. But what has really hurt UConn in the "pools" in which UConn is recruiting. Not beating P5 schools out for signing day. Now, all too often, it's Stony Brook, Sacred Heart and Rhode Island or Maine for recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom