Low Point for UConn athletics | The Boneyard

Low Point for UConn athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Is this the lowest point for UConn athletics since JC walked on campus for the first time?

Football is a complete mess. The PP years look like the new normal.

Men's BB is off to the worst start in years... and Ollie isn't JC and it seems like the fan base won't accept that fact and will likely drive him off to the NBA

Conference RA and the Big12 have crapped on us and there isn't a sliver of sunshine.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Feels that way, though I'm feeling pretty good basketball will turn around this year.

Those kids are learning to play together still.

I'm sure the team will improve - its just I sense Ollie won't be around long and his replacement won't be JC either.... and not as good/loyal to UConn. The fans have their knives out already

Reaction Score
Have to agree.

The BE exit fee $$ hasn't even run out yet and it feels like the death by a thousand paper cuts CR inflicted upon us has made some headway.

But that's not to excuse lousy coaching. Not giving up on KO yet (yes he's no JC and never will be, but he must have learned some things from the man). And Fiasco is a . . . . fiasco.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the team will improve - its just I sense Ollie won't be around long and his replacement won't be JC either.... and not as good/loyal to UConn. The fans have their knives out already
UConn men's bball fans are the worst. I prefer the balance and fairness and open mindedness we have on the football side of things.

Seriously though, they will regret it when Ollie is gone.

Reaction Score
STOP ...

Sheesh. This is what College Athletics is about.

Kevin Ollie is still a young coach ... feeling his way. He needs some things (like getting rid of a certain guy developing bigs); but, I expect the hard work on the recruiting front is going to pay off Big. Even though National writers are pissing on Ollie, I have faith in what I have seen of the kids and those coming.

UConn Ice Hockey is going to get really good and that is fun to watch.

Ray Reid tenure will be over in the next few years ... and it will be great to give the keys to someone that can build.

Baseball is on a 5 year upswing with Penders.

And LEAD with Geno. I don't care what you guys think: We have the Harlem Globetrotters exhibition series killing all comers.

This Diaco thing? It is a huge new opportunity.

There's nothing we can do about the Conference. I say it is not as bad as some whine about. It needs two great Basketball programs added (like Wichita State and VCU) because that is what my eyes want: more good hoop games in February.

That's my view

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Is this the lowest point for UConn athletics since JC walked on campus for the first time?

Men's BB is off to the worst start in years... and Ollie isn't JC and it seems like the fan base won't accept that fact and will likely drive him off to the NBA

Conference RA and the Big12 have crapped on us and there isn't a sliver of sunshine.

The PP years look like the new ideal

Reaction Score

What crap!... The fans aren't driving KO anywhere. If he wants to go to the NBA....he'll go. It will never be because a few hundred fans are cranky.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I am praying that this is the low point of UConn athletics. Unfortunately, I think we are approaching the bottom, but not quite there yet. We will find out who the truest UConn fans will be in the next couple of years. I am just hoping that it is a bottom, with an eventual climb---not a bottom with a plateau!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UConn men's bball fans are the worst. I prefer the balance and fairness and open mindedness we have on the football side of things.

Absolutely!

That place is a friggin nut house! God help us when Ollie is gone...

Reaction Score
STOP ...

Kevin Ollie is still a young coach ... feeling his way. He needs some things (like getting rid of a certain guy developing bigs); but, I expect the hard work on the recruiting front is going to pay off Big. Even though National writers are pissing on Ollie, I have faith in what I have seen of the kids and those coming.

Ray Reid tenure will be over in the next few years ... and it will be great to give the keys to someone that can build.

And LEAD with Geno. I don't care what you guys think: We have the Harlem Globetrotters exhibition series killing all comers.

There's nothing we can do about the Conference. I say it is not as bad as some whine about. It needs two great Basketball programs added (like Wichita State and VCU) because that is what my eyes want: more good hoop games in February.

That's my view
GREAT post @Pudge! Thank you! Those of us who remember the years of Dom Perno will disagree with the OP.

Reaction Score

I agree with you. But typical of most fans. I hate losing too but enough. I'm sure the same fans felt Ollie was the greatest when he won the national championship. I would suggest not paying attention to the mass craziness.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
STOP ...

That's my view
WOW! Talk about glass half full... I like the optimizum!

Reaction Score
STOP ...

That's my view
Thanks for posting Pudge.
Not all Bad... agree that hockey is off to a great start. Womens BB awesome start, Men's BB-young basketball team .....
Football will be great again-someday soon.... have faith.... see you Saturday.

Reaction Score
Not giving up on MBB just yet, WBB looks like they are gonna go a long way. MHOC just beat BU 4-0 and tonight lead BC 1-0 after one. Other sports are doing great as previously mentioned. WFH went to the final four. I do NOT share the pessimism.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's definitely a bleak situation but if you take a look at our conference records in football and basketball in recent years it's not all that shocking. The 2011 and 2014 titles masked a ton of flaws for our two programs. Just take a look at the conference records below. I took each program back to their last truly dominant team.

Football post 2010: 14-31 in conference.
2016: 1-6
2015: 4-4
2014: 1-7
2013: 3-5
2012 (Big East): 2-5
2011 (Big East): 3-4
2010 (Big East): 5-2 - Fiesta Bowl

Basketball post 2009: 56-52
2015: 10-8
2014: 12-6
2013 (Big East): 10-8
2012 (Big East): 8-10
2011 (Big East): 9-9
2010 (Big East): 7-11
2009 (Big East): 15-3

Those records are pretty damning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's definitely a bleak situation but if you take a look at our conference records in football and basketball in recent years it's not all that shocking. The 2011 and 2014 titles masked a ton of flaws for our two programs. Just take a look at the conference records below. I took each program back to their last truly dominant team.

Football post 2010: 14-31 in conference.
2016: 1-6
2015: 4-4
2014: 1-7
2013: 3-5
2012 (Big East): 2-5
2011 (Big East): 3-4
2010 (Big East): 5-2 - Fiesta Bowl

Basketball post 2009: 56-52
2015: 10-8
2014: 12-6
2013 (Big East): 10-8
2012 (Big East): 8-10
2011 (Big East): 9-9
2010 (Big East): 7-11
2009 (Big East): 15-3

Those records are pretty damning.

This thread is like going to the doctor, finding out you have cancer and a brain tumor...

But then being told the good news that your blood pressure and cholesterol look great so don't get too down...

Reaction Score
This thread is like going to the doctor, finding out you have cancer and a brain tumor...

But then being told the good news that your blood pressure and cholesterol look great so don't get too down...

Really?

See this clearly is a generational thing. WE are far from the Cancer diagnosis. And none of that looks bad to a mid 50s guy.

Reaction Score
Our athletic department seems to have become the epitome of millennial culture. Play when you feel like it. Get into safe spaces if you don't feel like playing.

Our hockey players were trying to put on an individual talent show after scoring the second goal last night, being down, 4-2.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Really?

See this clearly is a generational thing. WE are far from the Cancer diagnosis. And none of that looks bad to a mid 50s guy.

The football program is 8 weeks from possible permanent irrelevance.

I've been a big Ollie supporter but the last couple of years are generating one red flag after another.

Conference realignment is done and UConn is on the outside looking in.

It's not generational - 99% of the world judges you on two sports. A program's relevance is dictated by what conference you are in.

The AD budget is so broken we are going to have year four of Diaco.

The rest is just noise that only a handful of hardcore boosters care about - and they only care when teams win. Are we really going to pretend people follow the field hockey team? People are driving up to Storrs to watch baseball and softball games?

If you think none of this looks bad you need an eye doctor. This entire program is on the brink of becoming completely irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Our athletic department seems to have become the epitome of millennial culture. Play when you feel like it. Get into safe spaces if you don't feel like playing.

Our hockey players were trying to put on an individual talent show after scoring the second goal last night, being down, 4-2.

I'm not so sure that you are wrong about this Butchy.

Reaction Score
The football program is 8 weeks from possible permanent irrelevance.

I've been a big Ollie supporter but the last couple of years are generating one red flag after another.

Conference realignment is done and UConn is on the outside looking in.

It's not generational - 99% of the world judges you on two sports. A program's relevance is dictated by what conference you are in.

The AD budget is so broken we are going to have year four of Diaco.

The rest is just noise that only a handful of hardcore boosters care about - and they only care when teams win. Are we really going to pretend people follow the field hockey team? People are driving up to Storrs to watch baseball and softball games?

If you think none of this looks bad you need an eye doctor. This entire program is on the brink of becoming completely irrelevant.

We have a $72 mill athletic budget and are going to keep Diaco because of a $5mill buyout?

Your take on the AD budget broken is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom