Lou's Shredded Ligaments Fixed | The Boneyard

Lou's Shredded Ligaments Fixed

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How do you fix a shredded ligament? Wonder if she had graft(s) from higher in the leg?

"Samuelson always wanted to be like her oldest sister, Bonnie. Now she is.

The two-time junior All-American had surgery on her left ankle Thursday. An announcement from the school said she is expected to be ready for the start of the 2018-19 season.

Thursday's surgery repaired shredded lateral ligaments and she also had a torn tendon in the ankle. There was no bone or cartilage damage found."

It's a wonder she got through the season.

Scroll down a bit here. Potential Texas A&M graduate transfers eye UConn

Reaction Score
How do you fix a shredded ligament? Wonder if she had graft(s) from higher in the leg?

"Samuelson always wanted to be like her oldest sister, Bonnie. Now she is.

The two-time junior All-American had surgery on her left ankle Thursday. An announcement from the school said she is expected to be ready for the start of the 2018-19 season.

Thursday's surgery repaired shredded lateral ligaments and she also had a torn tendon in the ankle. There was no bone or cartilage damage found."

It's a wonder she got through the season.

Scroll down a bit here. Potential Texas A&M graduate transfers eye UConn

Is "shredded lateral ligaments" a medical term? It just sounds like a cheese or lettuce package at the ole grocery store. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is "shredded lateral ligaments" a medical term? It just sounds like a cheese or lettuce package at the ole grocery store. :rolleyes:

When ligaments go they tend to look like shreds - nature of the tissue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou looks like the pretty Calif. beach girl, but she is totally Badass. Her performance over 4 months is different, but it reminds me of Tiger winning the U.S. Open on a broken leg. Lou is TOUGH!

Best wishes to Lou for a full and speedy recovery and a healthy, fabulous, and successful senior season! Senior?! Yikes, she just got here!! ;)

Reaction Score
I have had two ligament reconstruction surgeries, one on each ankle (though mine were not lateral ligaments). Ligaments can be stretched and stapled/attached to the bone to stabilize the ankle or they can use an existing (or cadaver) tendon. My surgeries, using a Watson-Jones technique, each required about a seven inch incision, ending in a "J" under the ankle bone-- where the doctor bisected the tendon on the calf and used that in place of the ligament, attaching it through a drilled hole in my ankle. (P.S. I have subsequently had tendinitis in the "new" tendon, which hurts in a place where tendons generally are not. Weird.)

If Lou's surgery was to repair a lateral ligament, it might have used what's called a Brostrom procedure, which will mean her incision was something like three inches.

Reaction Score
As a parent the fact that she was playing with that extent of damage seems troubling. I'm sure that the medical professionals that UConn has on staff gave Geno and KLS the go-ahead to play, but still............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As a parent the fact that she was playing with that extent of damage seems troubling. I'm sure that the medical professionals that UConn has on staff gave Geno and KLS the go-ahead to play, but still..
It is my understanding that this issue for KLS goes back to high school.

Reaction Score
It is my understanding that this issue for KLS goes back to high school.
I had heard that too. Probably during one of Geno's post game interviews. For KLS this is as good a time as any to get the issue resolved. (And hope it's resolved by October.)

Reaction Score
As a parent the fact that she was playing with that extent of damage seems troubling. I'm sure that the medical professionals that UConn has on staff gave Geno and KLS the go-ahead to play, but still..

If I use my own experiences as a guide (and I know it's shocking because -- surprise!-- I'm not a world-class athlete-- but still...), the option of playing on the ankle would not further injure the already-present ligament tears/strains. You'd be likely to sprain it again (and we saw that), but any damage would just be more of the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom