Lou's play in the WNBA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lou's play in the WNBA

Reaction Score
In tonight's game Lou played 30 min, 3rd most on the team, and yet took the least amount of shot attempts by a wide margin. Either she is not willing or able to take the shots, either way it's a problem. Geno has said this before, you can't play 4 on 5 and expect to be able to win at this level. Lou's mentra of willing to do other things to help the team win other than scoring is not going to work in the long run. She needs to go have a chat with her old coach so he can kick her butt in gear.

Reaction Score
In tonight's game Lou played 30 min, 3rd most on the team, and yet took the least amount of shot attempts by a wide margin. Either she is not willing or able to take the shots, either way it's a problem. Geno has said this before, you can't play 4 on 5 and expect to be able to win at this level. Lou's mentra of willing to do other things to help the team win other than scoring is not going to work in the long run. She needs to go have a chat with her old coach so he can kick her butt in gear.
The butt that needs kicking is Arike’s, as in off the team. She once again scored in the high 30s, Dallas lost. The commentators love talking Arike up but the harsh truth is that she’s a hot dog—a very good hot dog, mind you—and Lou isn’t the only person on the Wings who is suffering as a result. UConn is team play, Dallas is Arike.

Reaction Score
The butt that needs kicking is Arike’s, as in off the team. She once again scored in the high 30s, Dallas lost. The commentators love talking Arike up but the harsh truth is that she’s a hot dog—a very good hot dog, mind you—and Lou isn’t the only person on the Wings who is suffering as a result. UConn is team play, Dallas is Arike.

No way I would trade Arike. Lou has to take responsibility for playing 30 min and taking only 3 shots. Everybody else seems to have no problem getting more shots with less minutes, not as many as Arike but more than Lou. Arike is playing the way she is clearly with the coach blessing. If one person has to go between Arike and Lou, it is clear who that would be.

Reaction Score
No way I would trade Arike. Lou has to take responsibility for playing 30 min and taking only 3 shots. Everybody else seems to have no problem getting more shots with less minutes, not as many as Arike but more than Lou. Arike is playing the way she is clearly with the coach blessing. If one person has to go between Arike and Lou, it is clear who that would be.
When one person is taking that many more shots, often ignoring open teammates, you get a losing team. She may have coach’s blessing but that doesn’t mean coach is right. I have coached a lot of teams. This is not the path to victory. I think Arike could be a valuable asset but not until she learns to play team ball. That takes a tough coach.

Reaction Score
When one person is taking that many more shots, often ignoring open teammates, you get a losing team. She may have coach’s blessing but that doesn’t mean coach is right. I have coached a lot of teams. This is not the path to victory. I think Arike could be a valuable asset but not until she learns to play team ball. That takes a tough coach.

I am agreeing with you that Arike needs to be a better team player, BUT the coach is not doing anything to stop the way she plays. I would keep Arike and get a different coach :p

Reaction Score
I am agreeing with you that Arike needs to be a better team player, BUT the coach is not doing anything to stop the way she plays. I would keep Arike and get a different coach :p
I agree with you about coach. I think Arike is a tremendous talent but if you take her missed shots and spread them around team you might see a winner. If I am an opposing coach, I don’t care if Arike scores 40, as that makes it easier to keep rest of the team from scoring.

Reaction Score
I agree with you about coach. I think Arike is a tremendous talent but if you take her missed shots and spread them around team you might see a winner. If I am an opposing coach, I don’t care if Arike scores 40, as that makes it easier to keep rest of the team from scoring.

Keyword "You might" which most nights tends to be a No in reference to the Dallas Wings. I think some people's personal hatred of Arike and her Notre Dame days have fuzzed their brains when it comes to a WNBA team. Take off Arike and Leave lou and we win 0 games . #Period

Reaction Score
Until recently, lived in Dallas and after watching several games, do not know what system is being played. Suspect a different coach would have Arike play for her shot then kick out to Lou and others when open. I hope the coach isnt on a high contract since they are not getting much for their coaching dollar.

Reaction Score
Keyword "You might" which most nights tends to be a No in reference to the Dallas Wings. I think some people's personal hatred of Arike and her Notre Dame days have fuzzed their brains when it comes to a WNBA team. Take off Arike and Leave lou and we win 0 games . #Period
With Arike, they missed playoffs. I certainly don’t hate Arike or Notre Dame. Dallas is youngest team and this season needed to develop a team game based on a great group of first round players with Sabally being the key, not Arike. Every time she’s heads down the court, she is is thinking “I will score,” not “we will score.” She gets a lot of free throws, partly because she gets credit for shooting when she has little chance of making a basket. As UConn fans, we’re used to unselfish team play. I blame the coach. If this continues, Dallas will continue to win enough games with Arike‘s current style to finish 9th or 10th.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So...Ogunbowale had exactly the same number of assists this season as Dangerfield--75. FWIW. Arike did play one more game than Crystal did though.

Reaction Score
So...Ogunbowale had exactly the same number of assists this season as Dangerfield--75. FWIW. Arike did play one more game than Crystal did though.

Stop messing people with facts :), but seriously stat is sometimes misleading. The eye test when you watch Dallas plays tells you that Arike could be looking for her teammates (not just Lou) more.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stop messing people with facts :), but seriously stat is sometimes misleading. The eye test when you watch Dallas plays tells you that Arike could be looking for her teammates (not just Lou) more.

Yeah, I just thought it was interesting. I know Arike hunts her shots aggressively. It is worth noting that Arike isn't really the PG while Dangerfield is, correct? Although Crystal seems more like a 2 hiding in a really small body. And obviously Ogonbowale has the ball in her hands frequently.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just thought it was interesting. I know Arike hunts her shots aggressively. It is worth noting that Arike isn't really the PG while Dangerfield is, correct? Although Crystal seems more like a 2 hiding in a really small body. And obviously Ogonbowale has the ball in her hands frequently.

True, Arike is not a PG so maybe she thinks she does not need to distribute the ball but many times she could have gotten a better shot for her open teammate instead of forcing up some crazy shot. I think Arike is a really good scorer but she could be an even better player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Arike played 34 mpg, 2nd in the league behind Pheesa. Crystal played 30 mpg.

With Minnesota, Crystal often brings the ball over half court and initiates a series of passes. With Dallas, it seems as if a shot goes up after 0, 1, or 2 passes.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You don't know that. Take off Arike and some of those wild shots would not have been taken and some other player may have taken and hit a better shot. Other players may have stepped up as many players did this season. They may have won more games playing team ball. We will never know.

Reaction Score
You don't know that. Take off Arike and some of those wild shots would not have been taken and some other player may have taken and hit a better shot. Other players may have stepped up as many players did this season. They may have won more games playing team ball. We will never know.
I know , and dont worry it will never happen . As stated before if it were a choice of one of the 2 , the obvious choice ..........................

Reaction Score
I thought Arike played really well and was being more unselfish when she had Gray, Mabrey, and Sabally in the starting 5 with her. I noticed that her and Gray's chemistry was evolving, and Arike was finding her a lot open at the 3. It's hard to find consistent team play when you keep losing starters.

I think that if they are going to continue with Mabrey starting next year, Arike will have to be the main playmaker. She can breakdown a defender probably better than any other in the league. I dont see how MoJeff can fit on this team tbh. I think they should try to trade her for more depth in the post.

I'm not sure what KLS' issues are. I felt like her and Mabrey were basically the same players, but KLS is four inches taller. She has to be more selfish IMO. Maybe it's her shooting mechanics and not really being able to shoot of the dribble? Mabrey's mechanics are different because of height and not as long arms, so she gets shots off and has started to hit them. She is supposed to be a scorer, but she's honestly just been a decoy so far in her career.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Lou is having reoccurring issues with foot/ankle. At times seems stiff on offense although her defense has improved. Perhaps she just needs a season of European basketball where she is a team's star and gets her mojo back.

Reaction Score
KLS and KML: birds of a feather. Neither can (nor did at UConn) create a shot off the dribble. Both shoot from the shoulder, which is a huge liability if not wide open.

Reaction Score
Lou does not shoot from her shoulder
Perhaps you are technically correct. It's from the chin, not the shoulder. Same horizontal plane, different vertical plane. Point remains; she shoots from too low, which negates any height advantage, and does not facilitate a jump shot OVER a close-in defender. Thus, if she cannot create space to shoot off the dribble, her scoring opportunities are limited. Combined with weak defense and rebounding..........................destined to ride the pines.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom