Lou's play in the WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou's play in the WNBA

Reaction Score
Injured foot or not, a really impressive game, especially driving to basket, plus solid defense. She had five fouls but only three were legit. I saw her get her 7th block of the season but it wasn’t in box score.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
While channel surfing I saw Dallas playing Indiana on ABC so I decided to watch a bit.

Watching this game, I don't get why people think that the WNBA is a better product to watch than the NBA. If anything it is a worse version of the NBA, pretty much a lot of 1-1, at least this game.

I think your problem is that you were watching Indiana vs. Dallas, mostly. Two bottom-half teams squaring off isn't really going to be the best showcase for the league.

Reaction Score
Injured foot or not, a really impressive game, especially driving to basket, plus solid defense. She had five fouls but only three were legit. I saw her get her 7th block of the season but it wasn’t in box score.

Interesting enough, her defense has been the most impressive thing about her game this year, her offense imo will get even better once she continues to get more comfortable, I think we will start seeing her be more aggressive.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I just wonder whether her injury has recurred, whether it is causing her either pain and/or making it difficult to maneuver. A tremendous talent like KLS just doesn't all of a sudden become timid; doesn't all of a sudden shoot under 30% for a season from three; doesn't all of a sudden, after playing tremendous defense her entire collegiate career, forget how to defend.

Just wonder whether it's a nagging injury. This sort of all-around collapse in performance for someone so successful, so gifted, just doesn't happen without a reason. Just can't be between the ears, IMHO.

Defensively, she knows what to do and gives effort but she's just a tweener. A little too slow to guard wings and and not strong enough to guard posts. I haven't noticed her being particularly good on offense but I have not noticed her being particularly bad either. She gets by but you might need to hide her in certain matchups.

Dallas is a little bit of a mess offensively because they are so young and Agler has tinkered around with so many different lineups. I've seen games or chunks of games where they have great ball movement and games where it's just a trainwreck. And sometimes it's just Arike freelancing because the entire play is iso for a Arike. It's really a mixed bag.

I've noticed that Lou often tends to just float through games not making much of an impact of any kind. She just kind of spaces the floor and that's it. She can get so disconnected from games that even when she's open she's not shooting that well because she has not in any sort of flow.

She'd probably fit well as a bench player for a good team with a clearly-defined structure and clearly-defined roles. The problem is that in Chicago, they were trying to win and didn't want to spend time give a rookie PT so she could figure things out. And in Dallas there's more PT available but they're still in the phase of rebuilding where they are throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Defensively, she knows what to do and gives effort but she's just a tweener. A little too slow to guard wings and and not strong enough to guard posts. I haven't noticed her being particularly good on offense but I have not noticed her being particularly bad either. She gets by but you might need to hide her in certain matchups.

Dallas is a little bit of a mess offensively because they are so young and Agler has tinkered around with so many different lineups. I've seen games or chunks of games where they have great ball movement and games where it's just a trainwreck. And sometimes it's just Arike freelancing because the entire play is iso for a Arike. It's really a mixed bag.

I've noticed that Lou often tends to just float through games not making much of an impact of any kind. She just kind of spaces the floor and that's it. She can get so disconnected from games that even when she's open she's not shooting that well because she has not in any sort of flow.

She'd probably fit well as a bench player for a good team with a clearly-defined structure and clearly-defined roles. The problem is that in Chicago, they were trying to win and didn't want to spend time give a rookie PT so she could figure things out. And in Dallas there's more PT available but they're still in the phase of rebuilding where they are throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks.
The dumbest statement in the history of the Boneyard.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The dumbest statement in the history of the Boneyard.

It's not even in my personal top 50 (or maybe 500) of dumbest statements here.

For example, 8/29 against the Fever she played 17 minutes and took 1 shot (a missed 3) and had 1 assist and 1 turnover. That's her total offensive stats in nearly half a game.

The rest of her stat line was 1 steal and 3 fouls. She was even on plus minus. Not bad, not good. Sort of just there.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
It's not even in my personal top 50 (or maybe 500) of dumbest statements here.

For example, 8/29 against the Fever she played 17 minutes and took 1 shot (a missed 3) and had 1 assist and 1 turnover. That's her total offensive stats in nearly half a game.

The rest of her stat line was 1 steal and 3 fouls. She was even on plus minus. Not bad, not good. Sort of just there.
That makes her "float" through games and "disconnected". I guess you dont see her set screens, roll to the basket and hardly ever get the ball passed to her. She is one of the best at switching on defense, in a man to man, and often results in mismatches. Thats not floating or disconnected, thats being responsible as a teammate. Amazing what some people see on their TV or computer screens and then read the box scores to see how "involved" a player is. There are so many intangibles that aren't in the score sheet, Lou does a lot of them. Watch some replays and see how many touches she gets, not many. There are a few "me" players on the Wings, including 2 from ND. Mayberry, in 8 games since staring at pg still averaging under 3 apg. Is that what a pg should be doing? AO, has never seen a shot she wont take. One on three, she will take it, One on two no problem One on one, I got this. 2 on 1, hell no I aint passing. This is a young team, that hasnt played as a team in many games. Maybe its the coaches fault or maybe its all he has to put on the court, They only played 7 players last night, and Lou got 26 minutes. She would have had more if she didnt get her 5th foul. Pretty good for a "floater". I suppose she was picked on all of those Team USA teams as they needed a player that floats and is disconnected from the game, Amazing Head bang

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That makes her "float" through games and "disconnected". I guess you dont see her set screens, roll to the basket and hardly ever get the ball passed to her. She is one of the best at switching on defense, in a man to man, and often results in mismatches. Thats not floating or disconnected, thats being responsible as a teammate. Amazing what some people see on their TV or computer screens and then read the box scores to see how "involved" a player is. There are so many intangibles that aren't in the score sheet, Lou does a lot of them. Watch some replays and see how many touches she gets, not many. There are a few "me" players on the Wings, including 2 from ND. Mayberry, in 8 games since staring at pg still averaging under 3 apg. Is that what a pg should be doing? AO, has never seen a shot she wont take. One on three, she will take it, One on two no problem One on one, I got this. 2 on 1, hell no I aint passing. This is a young team, that hasnt played as a team in many games. Maybe its the coaches fault or maybe its all he has to put on the court, They only played 7 players last night, and Lou got 26 minutes. She would have had more if she didnt get her 5th foul. Pretty good for a "floater". I suppose she was picked on all of those Team USA teams as they needed a player that floats and is disconnected from the game, Amazing Head bang

What I meant about her being "disconnected" is precisely that she rarely gets the ball on offense with the opportunity to do anything meaningful with it.

Therefore, when she does get the odd open shot it's hard for her to be in any sort of rhythm.

None of that is a criticism of Lou. I don't see her out of position on the court or blowing assignments or anything.

It's just that if you're not specifically watching her you can almost forget she's on the court. She doesn't get torched on D but she's not noticeable for rebounds, blocks or steals or either. And then she's not put in positions to score or handle the ball much on offense.

Reaction Score
What I meant about her being "disconnected" is precisely that she rarely gets the ball on offense with the opportunity to do anything meaningful with it.

Therefore, when she does get the odd open shot it's hard for her to be in any sort of rhythm.

None of that is a criticism of Lou. I don't see her out of position on the court or blowing assignments or anything.

It's just that if you're not specifically watching her you can almost forget she's on the court. She doesn't get torched on D but she's not noticeable for rebounds, blocks or steals or either. And then she's not put in positions to score or handle the ball much on offense.
Funny, I see steals, blocks, pushing players out of bounds. She does have fewer minutes so the stats are skewed. This game might be her breakout. The one three was nice but the four layups were superb. The double pass for an assist was the game highlight. All against a top team.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
image.jpeg

Without further comment.

Let the squabling begin. :D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Funny, I see steals, blocks, pushing players out of bounds. She does have fewer minutes so the stats are skewed. This game might be her breakout. The one three was nice but the four layups were superb. The double pass for an assist was the game highlight. All against a top team.

She has 12 steals and 6 blocks in 18 games. So each game, on average, you get a single steal or block.

Reaction Score
But her consecutive streak of 14 pts is still in tact. :rolleyes:
Dallas, the youngest team in WNBA, has all the makings of a really good team. Frankly, I would love to see them play an entire game without Arike. Don’t get me wrong. She is very talented but maybe her game is better suited to 3 on 3. She’s leading the league in scoring and I suspect in missed shots. That’s a team that will win a few games but never a championship.

Reaction Score
She has 12 steals and 6 blocks in 18 games. So each game, on average, you get a single steal or block.
So what do you get if you double her minutes?

Reaction Score
Dallas, the youngest team in WNBA, has all the makings of a really good team. Frankly, I would love to see them play an entire game without Arike. Don’t get me wrong. She is very talented but maybe her game is better suited to 3 on 3. She’s leading the league in scoring and I suspect in missed shots. That’s a team that will win a few games but never a championship.

The Lynx's starting 5 are also very young, but they are playing much more discipline team-oriented basketball. Arike is not going anything that her coach does not allow her to do. If Agler really wants to reign it in, he would have.

Reaction Score
The Lynx's starting 5 are also very young, but they are playing much more discipline team-oriented basketball. Arike is not going anything that her coach does not allow her to do. If Agler really wants to reign it in, he would have.
i agree. Agler is limited as a coach. He should probably spend less time chewing gum like a teen girl.

Reaction Score
It supposed to be James Wade's and some of her Chicago teammates fault for Lou's struggles last year and now is Brian Agler's and some of her Dallas teammates fault for Lou's struggles this year.

Lack of team's play aside, I would say a lot of Lou's "struggles" this year is her inability or willingness to be more assertive/selfish or taking just any shot on offense like some of her teammates.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
It supposed to be James Wade's and some of her Chicago teammates fault for Lou's struggles last year and now is Brian Agler's and some of her Dallas teammates fault for Lou's struggles this year.
Where are you getting this BS. I wont argue that there were problems between Wade and Lou, but where was it ever said that there was a problem between Lou and her teammates. Stop making up sh_t that isnt correct. Where was it said that Agler is the problem with Lou, other than some posters on this forum, who said Agler lets his players get away with individual play and bad shots?
Amazing how much BS people post.

Reaction Score
Where are you getting this BS. I wont argue that there were problems between Wade and Lou, but where was it ever said that there was a problem between Lou and her teammates. Stop making up sh_t that isnt correct. Where was it said that Agler is the problem with Lou, other than some posters on this forum, who said Agler lets his players get away with individual play and bad shots?
Amazing how much BS people post.
Are you triggered by my post?

Reaction Score
To be fair, I don’t think she is per say struggling this year, I do think she can be more aggressive on the offensive end, like someone mentioned there are things Lou is doing that is great on the floor that won’t show on the stat sheet. The few games she has scored in double digits she was aggressive, so imo the more minutes she gets, the more comfortable she will become with being assertive, I do think this is a good situation for her, the scoring will come consistently eventually.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Starting seems to agree with her. Came out of the gates strong today. Mixed bag since but a positive plus-minus in a game where Dallas trails by 6 at half.

Almost impossible for Dallas to win with Mabrey, Arike, and Sabally a combined 3-15

Reaction Score
I think Lou is getting more and more playing time because Agler likes her defensive play - yes her defensive play has been great all season - as well as her bb iq.

what was concerning is in pictures at the end of the Mystcs OT win she was wearing a back brace ... I hope she is not experiencing back spasms once again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom