Louisville's SOS is #7?? | The Boneyard

Louisville's SOS is #7??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tuned into the Temple-Louisville game and the announcer mentioned Louisvilles SOS was ranked 7th. Checked out their schedule an i have no idea how that is possible. Aside from us, the only real top team I saw was Kentucky. Not even going to get into Kentuckys play as of late, but no way can,yhey have the 7th toughest schedule

Reaction Score
Tuned into the Temple-Louisville game and the announcer mentioned Louisvilles SOS was ranked 7th. Checked out their schedule an i have no idea how that is possible. Aside from us, the only real top team I saw was Kentucky. Not even going to get into Kentuckys play as of late, but no way can,yhey have the 7th toughest schedule

They played a tougher non conference schedule than Baylor and South Carolina for starters.

Reaction Score

Their RPI is 7.
Their strength of schedule is 42.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Women.html

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The best SOS score I have seen for Louisville is the one by the service I believe has the best schedule rating algorithm, which is Massey. Louisville is at #20 there and UConn is still #1 in SOS.

RPI has UConn's SOS at 19, well behind St. Joe's, and is totally useless.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They played a tougher non conference schedule than Baylor and South Carolina for starters.

Baylor's SOS is up to 44 and we still have the possibility of two or three top 20 match-ups, so it should get better.

If your OOC schedule is to prepare you for conference play I would say that Mulkey did a masterful job in easing this young group into NCAA level competition.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
If your OOC schedule is to prepare you for conference play I would say that Mulkey did a masterful job in easing this young group into NCAA level competition.

Even better than her decision to hire Richard Fosbury to help coach defense?:rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Even better than her decision to hire Richard Fosbury to help coach defense?:rolleyes:

Say what you wish. Mulkey has taken Sims and a group of virtual unknowns to a number 4 ranking in the nation. Will they win a NC? No, but it has been an incredible coaching job. Would any other coach have been able to do that with this team? Doubtful.

Reaction Score

As others have pointed out, it's actually higher than that, but the fact is that the RPI SOS is another BS aspect of that system. I've never bothered to actually calculate it, but I have a hypothesis that says, if you play only teams ranked between 40-60 all year, you can probably end up with the #1 SOS. That's preposterous, of course, but that's because the RPI is such an over simplified way to calculate this stuff.

Reaction Score
The best SOS score I have seen for Louisville is the one by the service I believe has the best schedule rating algorithm, which is Massey. Louisville is at #20 there and UConn is still #1 in SOS.

RPI has UConn's SOS at 19, well behind St. Joe's, and is totally useless.
I agree, how could you possibly schedule and play so many top 15 teams and have a strength of schedule behind St. Joes. Wow

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, it's actually higher than that, but the fact is that the RPI SOS is another BS aspect of that system. I've never bothered to actually calculate it, but I have a hypothesis that says, if you play only teams ranked between 40-60 all year, you can probably end up with the #1 SOS. That's preposterous, of course, but that's because the RPI is such an over simplified way to calculate this stuff.

In addition, playing a team with an RPI in the 200's (Houston - 216) is likely much more damaging to a team's SOS than playing a team with an RPI in the 100's (Alabama - 101) despite the fact that the difference between those teams is largely negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom