Sullivan - DH
Testani - LF
Siena - 2B
Sundberg - CF
Marzi - P

Reaction Score
1st inning - bases loaded 2 outs - no runs
2nd inning - man on 3rd 2outs - no runs
3rd inning - 1st and 2nd 1out and runner then thrown out at plate then strikeout - no runs
5th inning - 1st and 2nd 2 outs - no runs
Lots of opportunities with nothing to show for it. 0-0 going to bottom of the 5th.

Reaction Score
6th inning bases loaded 2 outs - no runs
Louisville hits a solo home run in bottom of the 6th. 1-0 headed to bottom of the 7th.
Unfortunately that homer was probably the game. Once again pitchers have no room for error.
Going back to the 3 game series during the regular season last year, UConn has not scored a run now in the last 34 innings against them.
We did beat them in the tourney which is when it counts but nonetheless not good.
Siena is reminding me of Omar Calhoun from the hoops team, serious sophomore slump. He is really struggling.

Reaction Score
Sad trombone... Lose 2-0 to #12 team in country.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/conn-m-basebl-body.html

Game Notes
- Jon Testani’s eighth-inning double was his first extra base hit of the year in his fifth start of 2014.
- Devin Over tossed two scoreless innings to improve his ERA to 2.20 in 16.1 innings pitched in 2014.
- UConn’s bullpen now has an overall ERA of 2.01 in 139 innings.
- Blake Davey has reached base safely in 19 straight games, the longest such streak for a UConn player in 2014.

UConn and Louisville will continue their weekend series tomorrow afternoon with a 1 p.m. contest. Jordan Tabakman(Pompton Plains, N.J.) is set to start on the mound for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones during the broadcast said that the wrist injury to Eric Yavarone will keep him out four weeks. He may be back for the AAC tourney.

In the post game interview Penders said that Sullivan and Siena both looked overmatched at the bat tonight, and that he was thinking of putting Darras and Hill in the lineup tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Today's UConn lineup:

Verdi - SS
Daniello - 3B
Davey - RF
Melley - 1B
McDowell - C
Darras - DH
Testani - LF
Hill - 2B
Sundberg - CF
Tabakman - P”

Reaction Score
@uconnbaseball: FINAL: No. 12 Louisville 6, #UConn 1. The Huskies drop back to .500 at 21-21 on the year, Cardinals go to 32-11. Full recap to follow.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042614aaa.html

Had bases loaded twice with no outs I believe and couldn't push more than a run across...

Game Notes
- Max McDowell has hit safely in 10 of his last 13 games and is batting .313 (15-for-48) with a .431 on-base percentage in that stretch.
- Saturday’s game marked the first time Blake Davey and Bobby Melley have each failed to reach base safely in a game they both started in 2014.
- Nico Darras’ multi-hit game was the second of his career.

The Huskies and Cardinals conclude their weekend series tomorrow afternoon. First pitch on Sunday is set for 1 p.m. with Anthony Kay (Stony Brook, N.Y.) set to start on the mound for UConn.

Reaction Score
The trio of McDowell, Darras, and Testani were on base multiple times today. However, as pointed by the game notes that Huskymedic posted, Blake Davey and Bobby Melley together were non contributors to the offense today, and that radically shortened today's potential offensive string.

After a slow start and sitting on the bench for a lengthly stretch, Nico Darras suddenly has his average up to .255, with an on base percentage of .382. Coach Penders likes to go with hot bats, so with Yavarone out I suspect that Darras will be in the lineup for the time being. One thing that needs to be done is to move Tom Verdi out of the leadoff spot to the bottom of the lineup. Verdi has hit in the past, but he has not hit since he came back from his injury.

Reaction Score
Well, here's some positive news, hopefully. Marvin Georgas, a 2014 incoming recruit from E. Hampton CT HS, pitched a no hitter Friday vs Cromwell HS (one of the better HS baseball teams in state) he struck out 16.
This, on the heels of a 1 hitter, last week where he fanned 15. Marvin is 4-0 so far this season.
I use the word hopefully, because he's projected to be drafted within the 1st 5 rounds by MLB. Like Milone, last year, we'll have to hold our breath(s) in June/July.
Also positive news with Rivera, Yahn, Reisdorf, and the pitcher from Salisbury Acad. who signed with UConn (name escapes me)

Reaction Score
Today's line-up:

Verdi - SS
Daniello - 3B
Davey - RF
Melley - 1B
Darras - DH
Testani - LF
David - C
Hill - 2B
Sundberg - CF
Kay - P

Today's pitching match-up pits UConn freshman southpaw Anthony Kay (3-3, 3.59 ERA) against UofL righty Anthony Kidston (4-0, 3.29 ERA)

Reaction Score
This team plays with no baseball smarts in my opinion and that falls on the coach. Verdi gets hit to lead off game, then Daniello walks so the pitcher obviously has some control issues. So what does Davey do, he swings at first pitch which was very low and grounds into DP. Rally killer. I think you almost have to have him take a strike. Our offensive struggles are so much more than just not hitting.

Reaction Score
Connor David thrown out on a delayed steal to end top of 2nd. Seriously, David on a steal?

Reaction Score
One more thing I have noticed in watching the 3 games this weekend. Our hitters look at pitches right down the middle of the plate for strikes a lot but swing at pitches in the dirt and a foot out of the strike zone all of the time.

Reaction Score
Geez, I hate to be harsh, but this team stinks right now!

Reaction Score
UConn with tons of base runners today mostly because of wild pitching by the Cardinals. Many missed opportunities again. Then in the 7th I don't understand this one. Sundberg leads off the inning getting on base then Verdi has a 3-1 count and he sends Sundberg and he gets caught stealing. Next pitch Verdi walks. Why in the world are you trying to steal with a 3-1 count, wild pitcher on the mound and down 3 runs where you need base runners? I don't get that one.

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 3:57pm via TweetDeck
FINAL: No. 12 Louisville 8, #UConn 2. Huskies drop three at Louisville, now 21-22 on the year and 5-9 in #AmericanBSB.

Reaction Score
Offense is so inept. Scary part is you have to wonder if some of these kids are simply overmatched at this level. Three runs in three games and no one can be surprised. Lack of key hits with risp is just a recurring theme. Very discouraged right now

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 3:57pm via TweetDeck
FINAL: No. 12 Louisville 8, #UConn 2. Huskies drop three at Louisville, now 21-22 on the year and 5-9 in #AmericanBSB.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042714aaa.html

Game Notes
- Tom Verdi was hit by a pitch in the first inning and is now tied for the most HBPs in program history with 47 in his career.
- Connor David extended his hitting streak to six games with a second-inning single
- Nico Darras has a hit in each of his last five games and is 7-for-11 (.636) over that stretch
- Bobby Melley’s multi-hit game was his first of the series and 19th of the season
- Jack Sundberg stole multiple bases in a game for the fourth time this year and has a team-high 20 swipes in 2014.

Up next, the Huskies return to New England for a midweek game at Massachusetts on Tuesday, April 29. First pitch from Amherst, Mass. is set for 3 p.m.

Reaction Score
Offense is so inept. Scary part is you have to wonder if some of these kids are simply overmatched at this level. Three runs in three games and no one can be surprised. Lack of key hits with risp is just a recurring theme. Very discouraged right now
Well that is the perplexing thing. They made a run with most of these players last year and these are suppose to be the kids who are that group of better recruits that Penders is bringing in. To me they just don't play with intelligence and do the small things well that win ball games.

Reaction Score
Well that is the perplexing thing. They made a run with most of these players last year and these are suppose to be the kids who are that group of better recruits that Penders is bringing in. To me they just don't play with intelligence and do the small things well that win ball games.

Actually, they had much the same sort of season last year. Remember, they were the eight seed in the Big East Tournament. That team just happened to get hot during the Big East tournament.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right, but what we saw in the Big East Tourney and Regionals gave us a glimpse of the potential of this team. We seem to always struggle during season and then magically turn it on during tourney. Hopefully they can do the same thing this year. Just not sure why it's takes until tourney time for team to play up to ability.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right, but what we saw in the Big East Tourney and Regionals gave us a glimpse of the potential of this team. We seem to always struggle during season and then magically turn it on during tourney. Hopefully they can do the same thing this year. Just not sure why it's takes until tourney time for team to play up to ability.

I think one of our biggest problems this season was the injury of Tom Verdi. It is something that really looms large over this season. He was a very good player the last two years, by far he was the best player of the three upper class men who have gotten playing time (Yavarone and Testani are the others). He was a fine lead off man the last two years. Anyway, Verdi misses the first half of the season, and then when he does return his play is a shadow of his former self. You put the Verdi of the last two season along with Daniello in front of Davey, and Melley, that would really help out the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom