Louisville reaches settlement with Rick Pitino | The Boneyard

Louisville reaches settlement with Rick Pitino

Reaction Score

>>Nearly two years after the Hall of Fame basketball coach was fired leading to his filing a breach of contract lawsuit against the University, the two parties have reached a settlement. Pitino, who was seeking around $40 million in his lawsuit, and the university were in mediation last week, leading to the settlement on Wednesday. The University of Louisville’s Athletic Association’s executive committee approved the settlement at a morning meeting. As part of the agreement, Pitino’s departure from Louisville in his personnel file will be changed from his being fired to “resignation.” Pitino will not receive any money from the school as a result of entering into this agreement.<<

>>
Here’s a joint statement from U of L and Pitino:

“For 17 years, Coach Pitino ran a program that combined excellence on the court with a commitment to the program’s student-athletes, their academic achievement, and their futures in and out of basketball. Nevertheless, there were NCAA infractions during his term which led to serious consequences for the university. Although these infractions may not have occurred at Pitino’s direction or with his knowledge, the problems leading to NCAA infractions happened under his leadership. We thank Coach Pitino for his years of service to the University of Louisville basketball program and wish him well. Pitino and the University of Louisville have mutually agreed to dismiss their legal claims against each other, designate his departure as a resignation and move forward."

Pitino released this statement through his lawyer Steve Pence: "Today I move on to a new chapter in my life. Against my lawyer’s advice, I’m dropping my lawsuit with ULAA. I am very proud of the many accomplishments my teams achieved at Louisville. I’m so thankful and honored to coach such dedicated athletes. I’m also disappointed in how it ended. But as head coach I am held responsible for the actions of all team members. I still have so much passion for the game and so many goals I want to achieve. From this day forward I start my climb.”<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As part of the agreement, Pitino’s departure from Louisville in his personnel file will be changed from his being fired to “resignation.” Pitino will not receive any money from the school as a result of entering into this agreement
Well I can't speak for the university but I suspect the UConn would be amenable to settlement under these terms.
Here’s a joint statement from U of L and Pitino:

“For 17 years, Coach Pitino ran a program that combined excellence on the court with a commitment to the program’s student-athletes, their academic achievement, and their futures in and out of basketball. Nevertheless, there were NCAA infractions during his term which led to serious consequences for the university. Although these infractions may not have occurred at Pitino’s direction or with his knowledge, the problems leading to NCAA infractions happened under his leadership. We thank Coach Pitino for his years of service to the University of Louisville basketball program and wish him well. Pitino and the University of Louisville have mutually agreed to dismiss their legal claims against each other, designate his departure as a resignation and move forward."
I've stumped for this in the KO mess from day one. Kevin should have walked away taking a nominal settlement (and this case $0 is certainly nominal) agreeing to a general release, a benign joint statement and a mutual non-disparagement clause.

Let's get 'er done.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Lol he’s such a joke I can’t take anything involving him seriously

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Newspeak. Sounds like something out of "1984" I guess this will cement his legacy as a swell straight shooting guy.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Against my lawyer’s advice, I’m dropping my lawsuit with ULAA.
What an idiot Pitino is. He got the name of the school wrong. It should be LCCAA.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, "clean Rick" will be able to settle in soon at LSU, Auburn, Southern Cal, Arizona or possibly some other academic powerhouses that operate scandal free.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well Pitino went to mediation and then backed off.
Likely the outcome of mediation was going to be worse than this 'settlement' which is simply a revisionist history statement that may (or may not) enable him to coach again. He was fired two years ago but we are going to now say he resigned. Ok, sure.

Makes it easier I suppose for someone to hire him as both Pitino and UNLV can say Pitino wasn't fired or found responsible for the infractions that took place under his leadership leading to serious consequences (these infraction 'may not have occurred at Pitino’s direction or with his knowledge' and a basketball may not be round).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well Pitino went to mediation and then backed off.
Likely the outcome of mediation was going to be worse than this 'settlement' which is simply a revisionist history statement that may (or may not) enable him to coach again. He was fired two years ago but we are going to now say he resigned. Ok, sure.

Makes it easier I suppose for someone to hire him as both Pitino and UNLV can say Pitino wasn't fired or found responsible for the infractions that took place under his leadership leading to serious consequences (these infraction 'may not have occurred at Pitino’s direction or with his knowledge' and a basketball may not be round).
Mediation is a voluntary process that does not decide or impose outcomes. Results are the product of facilitated negotiations that can include elements that are not fixed to legal precedent and can include non-legal components.

The statement reads as though Pitino had an interest in retaining some semblance of reputation in the UL community, and having a professiinal standing that could better support future work in his field. The university had an interest in not paying out any additional money. Given the likelihood that both parties know unflattering things about each other, both parties had an interest in keeping things non-disparaging and cinfudential.
Pitino's attorney may have been retained under a fee structure that resulted in him having an interest in receiving a percentage of any financial settlement. I suppose all parties could stipulate that the attorney got 100% of the settlement figure.

Reaction Score
Pitino is a multimillionaire pretty close to the end of his rope. I doubt the money was that important to him. In a view years the lack of paper trail linking him to wrong doing anywhere will leave him with a spotless reputation regardless of our opinion of him , he will be remembered for his success.
This is a big win for his legacy
KO’s-situation isn’t remotely similar.

Reaction Score
Pitino is a multimillionaire pretty close to the end of his rope. I doubt the money was that important to him. In a view years the lack of paper trail linking him to wrong doing anywhere will leave him with a spotless reputation regardless of our opinion of him , he will be remembered for his success.
Generally agree, not spotless by any definition & you are referring more to his official record vs reputation. His enormous ego has to be mentioned, as huge a factor as any in the entire affair and settlement.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And we're off!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Some other coaches should go against the advice of their lawyers also. ;)
like you know the advice of the attorney you are alluding to

Tom - please shut this down - its just going to lead to another dumping thread Thanks

Reaction Score
Mediation is a voluntary process that does not decide or impose outcomes. Results are the product of facilitated negotiations that can include elements that are not fixed to legal precedent and can include non-legal components.

The statement reads as though Pitino had an interest in retaining some semblance of reputation in the UL community, and having a professiinal standing that could better support future work in his field. The university had an interest in not paying out any additional money. Given the likelihood that both parties know unflattering things about each other, both parties had an interest in keeping things non-disparaging and cinfudential.
Pitino's attorney may have been retained under a fee structure that resulted in him having an interest in receiving a percentage of any financial settlement. I suppose all parties could stipulate that the attorney got 100% of the settlement figure.

He must have no real friends, nor any interests in life beyond feeding his ego with the platitudes he's accustomed to getting from the adoring fans of his teams, or else he would move on to learning how to paint (houses) or some other benefit of retirement.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Savvy move by Slick Rick. He'll start looking for another job now and can do so relatively unencumbered.

NCAA hasn't ruled on potential 'show cause' penalty yet, have they?

C

Chief00

The advice of attorney thing is often a PR gimmick. When a felon pleads guilty to do less time - they often say they pleaded guilty based on advice of counsel despite their innocence - so they keep the psychopathic belief they are still innocent.
For Pitino it was probably about there’s going to be no money there so why not make it your decision and set the stage for your next job.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

They forgot to include [WINK WINK] in the appropriate place(s) in this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom