Louisville Post-Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Louisville Post-Game Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou was once again terrific. Getting fouled constantly . A mystery how a referee can be staring at Lou having her shooting hand slapped away on a three , the ball falling 10 ft short and no call. After the first quarter Louisville started fouling her so much that the refs stopped calling it. So many no calls and also no comments from the ESPN staff.
Refs certainly miss calls from time to time, but certainly Lou gets overplayed and fouled (called or not) more than any other Husky.

On the one hand, the Louisville player guarding Lou fouled out of the game. On the other hand, the refs seemingly missed several obvious calls.

The most obvious missed call, imo, occurred in the 1st half when Lou made a beautiful drive to the basket for a layup, exploding by one of Louisville’s BIGS. The Louisville player, who was obviously beaten, hit Lou hard with her body.

To Lou’s credit she finished well against contact, but Lou and most fans were stunned she didn’t get an “and 1” call from the refs.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Like most here, I've read through a lot of posts in a lot of threads regarding the game. One recurring observation is that Louisville outscored UConn for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters, and from the end of UConn's early 19-0 run to the final buzzer. Of course, that is true. But I don't believe this means Louisville outplayed UConn or was the better team, during that stretch, or even during the 4th quarter. Watching the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters unfold, nobody knew that Louisville would lose by only 11 points. How did we get there? And why? Let's read history forward.

Louisville was reeling with about 5 minutes left in the first half. UConn had clearly shown, rather dramatically, that it really was the better team--playing suffocating defense, running the floor, hitting the shots, making great individual plays, great team plays, and so on. At that point, Louisville was not defeated. But they certainly knew they were playing a superior team with great players, on the road, and down 20 points before they knew what hit 'em.

It was only after this point that Louisville outscored UConn over the course of the rest of the game. In seeing that happen, you had to feel that while Louisville had a chance, it was a slight chance. As Louisville played on, the game turned into more a series of half-court offensive sequences. Sometimes, the teams would trade misses. Sometimes fouls would put players on the line. Sometimes Louisville would score, get a stop, and score again. But Uconn continued to play and find ways to score, pushing the lead back up to, say, 17 to 19. With 1:45 left in the 3Q, we lead by 22. At this point, it is safe to say that UConn was, minimally, playing even. Louisville scored 5 quick points to end 3rd quarter, cutting the lead to 17. But entering the 4Q, it seemed remote at best that Louisville would ever surmount a 17 point deficit under the conditions.

And so, the teams played out the 4Q. Louisville cut into the lead a bit at the beginning of the quarter, and then again a bit more at around the 3 minute mark. My impression is that while Louisville continued to play hard (perhaps if nothing else than to convince themselves that they can compete with UConn--which they can), everyone knew that they were not going to win this game. This partially explains the rather deliberate pace in Louisville's half-court offense. I think given the short bench, UConn used these circumstances to reserve a bit of energy, play a bit softer and safer second half. Our starters were pretty gassed by the 4th quarter; but that's partially because they played so hard to build the lead. By the 4th quarter, the objective was to hold it. No need to do more. There are still 4 games left in the regular season before heading into the post-season.

On to the next opponent.
Good post, but again the mistaken idea that Louisville outscored UConn in the second quarter. Louisville scored 16 points in the second, and UConn scored 18. This just persists like some irradiated cockroach in a post apocalyptic B movie. I am not being critical of your post, but just wanted to correct that one point ( actually two points, I guess ;) ).

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Remind me why you're here ... to keep us grounded?
Funniest thing I have seen today! It is still early, but you are a leg up on my hilarity meter. Your father and Thumper's father must have gone to the same Dad class!

Reaction Score
Disagree with the bolded. Unless one of the starters really needed a break longer than the five minute one you get between quarters, subbing to start the second quarter was effectively taking the foot off the gas. They had them on the ropes and were close to breaking their spirit and taking their soul. So close to a TKO at that point, but we let them get up off the mat. The announcers even made a comment during that 19-0 run that as Louisville players were coming down the floor they had that defeated look or something to that effect.
Another view. Crystal was limping and couldn't set up for her shots, KLS was limping (in between draining 3's :), Gabby has had a chronic hip issue, etc. If you don't give some a rest when up by 20, when do you? Goal is to win-no bonus points for number of points.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Refs certainly miss calls from time to time, but certainly Lou gets overplayed and fouled (called or not) more than any other Husky.

On the one hand, the Louisville player guarding Lou fouled out of the game. On the other hand, the refs seemingly missed several obvious calls.

The most obvious missed call, imo, occurred in the 1st half when Lou made a beautiful drive to the basket for a layup, exploding by one of Louisville’s BIGS. The Louisville player, who was obviously beaten, hit Lou hard with her body.

To Lou’s credit she finished well against contact, but Lou and most fans were stunned she didn’t get an “and 1” call from the refs.

Maybe she should 'vocalize' more, a la Maya . . . . . Maya makes a good bit of noise when she's fouled (hard) to make sure the refs are aware! Works well on shots as well as on those occasions when she's run over in the lane on defense :D

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

There was one where Lou got fouled on the body BIG time -- I was really shocked that no foul was called because the line of sight for the underneath ref was clear.

However there were a couple of calls that went our way early - Collier's heels were above the restricted arc line and she should have gotten the block call but instead drew the charge. Overall I don't think we got the bad end of it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe she should 'vocalize' more, a la Maya . . . . . Maya makes a good bit of noise when she's fouled (hard) to make sure the refs are aware! Works well on shots as well as on those occasions when she's run over in the lane on defense :D
I assume your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek with your remark suggesting that Lou needs to do a better job selling refs that she’s being fouled. No Husky does a better job selling fouls. The one change I have noticed is that she complains less, and I’m certain that has to do with Geno telling her to stop complaining and just play the game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was one where Lou got fouled on the body BIG time -- I was really shocked that no foul was called because the line of sight for the underneath ref was clear.

However there were a couple of calls that went our way early - Collier's heels were above the restricted arc line and she should have gotten the block call but instead drew the charge. Overall I don't think we got the bad end of it.
Yes, I think you and I are both referencing the same no-call on Lou’s driving layup which was inexplicably not called a foul on Louisville.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I assume your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek with your remark suggesting that Lou needs to do a better job selling refs that she’s being fouled. No Husky does a better job selling fouls. The one change I have noticed is that she complains less, and I’m certain that has to do with Geno telling her to stop complaining and just play the game.

I think she sells it physically and sometimes complains but Maya lets out a YELP right at the moment of contact that the mic never fails to pick up! I have heard Lou but it's nothing like Maya :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think she sells it physically and sometimes complains but Maya lets out a YELP right at the moment of contact that the mic never fails to pick up! I have heard Lou but it's nothing like Maya :D
OK, so you’re suggesting that Lou let out a scream of some kind. I’m good with that.

Maybe she could also bite her lip at the same time, drawing blood in the process. That would be a creative way to sell a foul. :rolleyes:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Love it when analysts say that a team played the better second half. Oh wait, but they still LOST!!!!!!! Head bang

This is OT I suppose but really resonates with me as a parallel story to something in my past.

Long time ago, I interviewed for a job with the Indiana State Parks system. It was a solid interview and I was really disappointed when they called to tell me they had chosen someone else.

In discussing the experience with the man who would have been my supervisor, he was remarkably candid. He said "you were, on paper, the head's on favorite for the position. It's just that the guy we selected - we didn't see much in his resume and he interviewed so much better than we were anticipating." I asked how he felt that I did with the in-person interview and he said very well, "in fact, you actually interviewed better than him."

"So, you're telling me I am better qualified on paper, and I out-interviewed the other candidate, but you're still offering the job to him because he exceeded your expectations?" Awkward silence and he said, I guess that doesn't sound right, does it?

So it felt like I played better in both halves and I still lost! :eek:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
OK, so you’re suggesting that Lou let out a scream of some kind. I’m good with that.

Maybe she could also bite her lip at the same time, drawing blood in the process. That would be a creative way to sell a foul. :rolleyes:
Are we now hoping Lou gets NPOY and an Oscar for best performance by a dramatic actress? I am behind your effort!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Louisville is supposed to be an elite, championship caliber team with a national POY candidate. Are you saying they're not?
Right now there are only TWO championship caliber teams - UCONN and MS. ST. L’vile , Baylor and ND are a tier below that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Right now there are only TWO championship caliber teams - UCONN and MS. ST. L’vile , Baylor and ND are a tier below that.
I generally agree with your post, although I'm on the fence about Baylor. Last night on the road, they pummeled 23rd ranked OK St. Way back when, they lost on the road at UCLA without Cox playing or Mulky coaching, but since that time they've beaten everyone they've played handily. I know Baylor doesn't have a lot of depth, their OOC schedule is weak and, quite frankly, after TX I don't think the Big12 is all that strong, but with Brown, Cox and Wallace tearing it up right now, I would tend to list Baylor as a championship caliber team.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Do I remember correctly that Walker has at times suffered from migraines?

If that's true, perhaps she was having another one and that is why her time was limited.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom