Louisville Post-Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Louisville Post-Game Thread

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Looks like our 3 shooters were pretty much all off.
All except Lou, she was 3 for 6 in the first half and in the second half she was 1 for 3 with the 2 misses coming of bad time management and she had to hoist them up with the clock expiring. Both times she hit the rim. It looked like the team forgot that she was on the court in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Stevens had 8 points and 4 rebounds in the 4th quarter.

To be honest, with the play of Z earlier in the game, I thought she would (and should) be tethered to the bench. I am glad Geno kept his cool and allowed her to play through the bad game and really ran plays to give her as many easy shots as possible. If she was yanked, it could have set her back mentally before the tournament.

Reaction Score
The new Gampel ceiling looks great.

You home coaches might need to take it down a notch :D:D:D no one in the crowd was an worried about the score/margin as you guys were. It was never in doubt. And as much as it's easier to just turn on the TV, I gotta say, it looks so much better in person :)

Play of the game was me catching the cheese covered pretzel bite I almost dropped on the girl in front of me.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
When your biggest complaints are:

- Collier and z need to stay near the basket

- very end of quarter defense was abysmal

And

- nurse is still doing that unnecessary scoop on layups that has caused her to miss bunnies in the past....

You know your team played really well

Too many jumpers in the second half, and they went cold, but that’s gonna happen at times. Shutting down Louisville’s O was more impressive.

Reaction Score
somebody help me out here: besides hoisting up lots of shots, what else is so good about Asia Durr's game? I saw very little ballhandling, passing( 2 assists in 40 minutes), rebounding. certainly can shoot, but ????? I looked at her season stats, and she has almost as many turnovers as assists. not even in the same ballpark as Samuelson.

Reaction Score
somebody help me out here: besides hoisting up lots of shots, what else is so good about Asia Durr's game? I saw very little ballhandling, passing( 2 assists in 40 minutes), rebounding. certainly can shoot, but ????? I looked at her season stats, and she has almost as many turnovers as assists. not even in the same ballpark as Samuelson.
It seems like Wilson is the heavy favorite for POY though she hasn’t shown up in any big game and Lou has every time. How is Wilson the favorite?

Reaction Score
UConn clearly took their foot off the gas.... I wonder if that was on purpose.
Or an unconscious let down. Meg got some minutes and Crystal took long breaks in the 4th.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
From my “oh by the way” department, the first charging call against Lou was totally bogus. I re-watched in slo-mo and frame-by-frame. The defender did not have either foot planted and slid to a position that was almost in front of Lou. Almost. Another peculiar call from Dee Duh Ref, who was five feet away.

Reaction Score
It seems like Wilson is the heavy favorite for POY though she hasn’t shown up in any big game and Lou has every time. How is Wilson the favorite?
That's what I said in the game thread. There's more than just stats. Showing up in big games has to count for something.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations UConn Huskies!! Congratulations Chris "C.D." Dailey!! Chris Dailey has been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, and it is well deserved!! What a game. Kia held Durr scoreless for a while, and when she loss her Gabby was there. Gabby is truly amazing. Lou is a baller, but she might want to think about a mask, her face is taking a pounding. I love the chemistry of this team. Napheesa is a very quiet scorer, you think she isn't doing anything, and you look up, she has scored in double figures on a team :). The only complaints are Azura need to stop shooting 3's, and she need to become a beast taking her shot at the rim.

Reaction Score
Your points are well taken but Kia usually has the tougher assignment, chasing the opponent's best shooter all over the floor all game long, which may explain why her offensive production suffers. However, the remaining four on the floor are all shooters and don't ordinarily require her points so this is rarely an issue. Kia simply does her job as a defender, which becomes her primary role on the floor. She played great tonight and wasn't personally responsible for many of Durr's points, which came when she was either on the bench or after she had switched off to another player on defense.
I hear you. My comment was that Gabby contributes in more ways defensively. However you bring up an interesting point. I ask if Durr scores her avg 20 but Kia only scores 4 instead her avg 14/15 is that a great game? While she had 4 dimes, she also had only 1 rebound, 0 steals and lead with 3 fouls. When the team is in half court offense, which they were quite a bit, she is not guarding Durr. Lou still has to play defense even if she drops 26.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate Kia's game (and her grit and style) but great players are two way. It seems many times she has a tough assignment she scores in low single digits. Gabby, especially last year, had many tough matchups against bigs but she not only handled the assignment she also contributed in many other ways was my point. I just think its an interesting perspective to consider when evaluating all these conversations about AA and NPOY awards.

Reaction Score

JordyG probably can explain since he had her as the player of the game... :)

To be fair she getting most of the defenses attention so she helps her teammates by getting double teamed. Also she is playing a top 5 defense in UConn. Lastly, she is able to create her own offense. Many of those shots she hit were pretty amazing. I didn't think she stood out on defense at all but could have missed something.

Reaction Score
Funny, but that's not how games are decided.

Durr took 19 shots and was 3-12 on 3-pointers. Of course she's good, we knew that. But she had to work extremely hard for her shots and 3-12 on three-pointers is not a winning formula for her team. Oh, and Lou is pretty good too. In fact, Lou was better tonight.

I'm sure Louisville will take positives from this game. That's what losing teams try to do. If these teams meet again this season it won't be on Louisville's home court (last I checked) and it will be with a lot more pressure so we'll see who makes shots and who doesn't. Overall, UConn's defense was pretty good.

All that said, folks here still need to lower the expectations a bit. There's a lot of talent on this team but there's an obvious weakness in the lane. Azura isn't a strong finisher at the rim and doesn't have back-to-the-basket moves. I wish she did but she doesn't. Funny, I watched some video today of Stewie over in China and she made a couple of jump-hooks. My first thought was: why doesn't Azura have that move? The answer probably goes back a few years but maybe she can develop one by next year.

We should enjoy the tremendous success of this team while understanding that there are weaknesses that can be exposed down the road.

Overall, a good win.
Good points about Stevens. I said awhile back that I couldn't understand how she could practice with these coaches for almost 2 years now and still have no semblance of a turnaround jumper or jump hook. She does a real good job of keeping the ball high on offensive rebounds and entry passes but seems to lose track of where she is when in the lane. Hope it's a point of emphasis for her this summer.

Reaction Score
Good points about Stevens. I said awhile back that I couldn't understand how she could practice with these coaches for almost 2 years now and still have no semblance of a turnaround jumper or jump hook. She does a real good job of keeping the ball high on offensive rebounds and entry passes but seems to lose track of where she is when in the lane. Hope it's a point of emphasis for her this summer.
Just about 4 years of college ball in the books for Z. At this point in her college basketball career she is what she is. I think we need to be practical in our expectations.

Reaction Score

Asia really is a terrific player but if she doesn’t hit her shots she normally doesn’t impact a game other ways. Did you notice she didn’t “blow by” anyone to the rim?She is not really fast on her feet. In fact she and Arica Carter are actually a bit slow running WITH the ball. Asia depends on her quick release but she wasn’t going to be able to shake Kia and UConn gave her few good looks. Playing a box and one was an obviously good strategy. L’ville needed Asia to counter the onslaught in the first quarter. She was scoreless and the game was over. The whole team was shell shocked.
Wasn’t it 26-4 at one point?

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
From my “oh by the way” department, the first charging call against Lou was totally bogus. I re-watched in slo-mo and frame-by-frame. The defender did not have either foot planted and slid to a position that was almost in front of Lou. Almost. Another peculiar call from Dee Duh Ref, who was five feet away.
That was a make up call. The charge against Louisville in the previous play was a bad call.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did anyone find that last-second shot by Durr incredibly low basketball IQ for a player of her caliber? No one was really guarding her with 3 seconds left in the game so she decided to make a gratiuitous basket. Napheesa put up a token defense, Durr made a fancy shot to score but ended up falling on her hip, apparently injuring herself. How silly was that, weeks from the post-season?

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<Did anyone notice how physical #23 was with KLS in the 2Q?>>

Louisville stepped up their physical game from that point on, witness the umber of fouls they committed (and a few more that should have been called).

UConn needs to develop a strategy to deal with that, including some "payback" work. Just a little nasty is all I'm looking for. Maybe a bench player who can "give" a foul or two would send a message. :rolleyes:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While UConn MIGHT have the most talented starting five, I think Baylor and Miss St will cause this team serious problems. Mainly due to their Superior Size in the Post and the physicality of their game. Azura' Stevens was supposed to be the player that would help counteract Baylor and Miss St's superior size. So far she's fallen short in that role.
Also I was hoping Camara would provide minutes and be a rebounding presence, but she's also been a disappointment. At the beginning of the year, didn't think I would say this, but the team could really use Natalie Butler. Her size and physicality is missed even if it was at the same level as she played at UConn.

Not saying the team can't beat Baylor or Miss St, but they'll give this team the most match up problems. Hopefully they'll be in the same region and team will only have to face one of them if they make it to the F4. I"m thinking the #1 seeds in order are UConn, Miss St, Notre Dame or Louisville and Baylor. If seeds held, UConn would first face Baylor and if they won, then have to face Miss St for the Championship.

I agree about the starters. Our starting five look good and I don't think there is a better starting five out there. But when you sub, and even Geno has to at some point, yikes. I like the starting five being roughly the same height, 4 of the 5 can shoot the 3, they can all defend, spacing tends to very good, everyone is fast enough to run the fast break, or cut for back doors, etc. When they sub in Z everything is disrupted.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
She is heavily endorsed by the media (specifically ESPN analysts and broadcasters) and has been since last year's NC game. IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom